United States & Gun Control discussion.

Other fun news in the world of gun control:

Defense Distributed has settled with the DOJ. Gun model files (for 3D printing, etc.) will no longer be restricted under ITAR. You probably remember to Liberator pistol - the "world's first 3d printed gun". It's files were online for (I think) less than a week before they got shut down using ITAR as the pistol was being 'exported' via the internet.

Here's an article from Wired that isn't quite hysterical, but definitely against Cody Wilson's vision of the inevitable death of gun control
Here's an article from Reason that is in strong support.

Interesting article on the Toronto shooting. I am putting this here because there's lots of comparisons to and context with the US.

In wake of shooting, gun ownership under debate in Toronto

They've been looking for an excuse to ban semi auto everything and handguns. Apparently the federal government had been considering banning handguns even before this shooting. Meanwhile, the gun was illegally acquired anyway. The Liberal's thought the long gun registry woke up a sleeping giant, they have no idea what this just did. I've heard from previously quiet individuals in the past couple days about becoming very outspoken against any laws penalizing legal gun owners for criminal's. They haven't said anything that will actually help reduce the gang violence or illegal gun trade that is behind it all.

Hell has officially frozen over.

The American Civil Liberties Union moved to file a brief on Friday opposing the state’s motion to dismiss the National Rifle Association’s lawsuit against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s top financial regulator.

In the ACLU’s view, targeting a nonprofit advocacy group and seeking to deny it financial services because it promotes a lawful activity (the use of guns) violates the First Amendment. Because we believe the governor’s actions, as alleged, threaten the First Amendment rights of all advocacy organizations, the ACLU on Friday filed a friend-of-the-court brief supporting the NRA’s right to have its day in court.

Link

Last edited:

The American Civil Liberties Union moved to file a brief on Friday opposing the state’s motion to dismiss the National Rifle Association’s lawsuit against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s top financial regulator.

In the ACLU’s view, targeting a nonprofit advocacy group and seeking to deny it financial services because it promotes a lawful activity (the use of guns) violates the First Amendment. Because we believe the governor’s actions, as alleged, threaten the First Amendment rights of all advocacy organizations, the ACLU on Friday filed a friend-of-the-court brief supporting the NRA’s right to have its day in court.

Link

The world no longer makes any sense.

As weird as it seems, the ACLU actually supports a good number of cases that would be considered "right-leaning" positions; the media just prefers to report on when the ACLU fights religion in public institutions or gay rights instead.

As weird as it seems, the ACLU actually supports a good number of cases that would be considered "right-leaning" positions; the media just prefers to report on when the ACLU fights religion in public institutions or gay rights instead.
Agreed. As a whole, they're generally consistent in their mission. Equal opportunity offenders, if you will.

It seems as if the democrats are drawing a line in the sand and making gun control their pet issue:

The Democratic Party’s New Litmus Test: Gun Control

The former congress woman apparently does not understand the district she's running for at all. The Southeast corner of Arizona is full of pretty isolated towns where drug runners and smugglers push through often. A lot of BP operations are continuous in that area.

Color me shocked....

Once the story ends and the free press and money dries up, so too does the resolve.

Parkland PAC formed to take on the NRA scales back

The group spent roughly half of its money on consulting services, with the biggest chunk going to Empire Global Ventures, a New York based firm primarily focused on corporate clients but whose founders boast political campaign experience.

Good grief........

On 2 November 2018, the First Circuit Court of Appeals held the Second Amendment effectively does not apply outside the home.

This case involves a constitutional challenge to the Massachusetts firearms licensing statute, as implemented in the communities of Boston and Brookline. All of the individual plaintiffs sought and received licenses from one of those two communities to carry firearms in public. The licenses, though, were restricted: they allowed the plaintiffs to carry firearms only in relation to certain specified activities but denied them the right to carry firearms more generally.

In the last analysis, the plaintiffs simply do not have the right” to carry arms for any sort of confrontation” or “for whatever purpose” they may choose. Id. at 595, 626 (emphasis omitted).

Link

I must have skipped the "only in my house clause" from the 2nd Amendment. I always felt I was missing something....

People are stupid!

Good grief........

On 2 November 2018, the First Circuit Court of Appeals held the Second Amendment effectively does not apply outside the home.

This case involves a constitutional challenge to the Massachusetts firearms licensing statute, as implemented in the communities of Boston and Brookline. All of the individual plaintiffs sought and received licenses from one of those two communities to carry firearms in public. The licenses, though, were restricted: they allowed the plaintiffs to carry firearms only in relation to certain specified activities but denied them the right to carry firearms more generally.

In the last analysis, the plaintiffs simply do not have the right” to carry arms for any sort of confrontation” or “for whatever purpose” they may choose. Id. at 595, 626 (emphasis omitted).

Link

This isn't a bad thing yet, as long as it gets kicked up to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court has been ruling in favor of CCW for the past decade, I don't see why they would change now. They overturn this ruling and that becomes law of the land, CCW permits for every body, in every state.

Meanwhile, in Ohio.....
‘Stand your ground’ gun bill passes Ohio House

The House-approved “stand your ground” bill removes a “duty to retreat” for armed Ohioans facing a threat or perceived threat. It also shifts the burden of proof in self-defense cases to the prosecution, which would align Ohio with a vast majority of states.
Rep. Terry Johnson, R-McDermott, a primary sponsor, said the bill brings Ohio up-to-date with federal law and extends the castle doctrine to a person’s vehicle and anywhere they have a legal right to be.
“This bill is not going to grant any new place to carry a firearm nor is this bill designed to allow vigilantes to walk the streets and dispense their own justice,” McDermott said.

A bit lengthy and goofy at points, but a damn good video on the break down of the 2A.

Jumped around the video a bit. Seems pretty well researched and put together as to the history of the 2nd ammendment.

I didn't see it mentioned while I was jumping around, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he doesn't mention Scalia himself was of the opinion that the 2nd amendment could be regulated?

Edit: I mention Scalia because of the number of comments saying things like "all gun laws are illegal" or "we should sue California for violating the Constitution".

Those don't seem like people who would get nuance.

Jumped around the video a bit. Seems pretty well researched and put together as to the history of the 2nd ammendment.

I didn't see it mentioned while I was jumping around, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he doesn't mention Scalia himself was of the opinion that the 2nd amendment could be regulated?

Edit: I mention Scalia because of the number of comments saying things like "all gun laws are illegal" or "we should sue California for violating the Constitution".

Those don't seem like people who would get nuance.

No it did not specifically mention that, but to be clear, I have never read where Scalia stated that the 2A could be regulated. I have read that the act of carrying of unusual and dangerous weapons could be restricted (I.e. lil Mohamad can't strap a pressure cooker bomb to his back and go walking around in public). I don't think anyone extreme right to extreme left would disagree, that people shouldn't be allowed to walk around with bombs strapped to their bodies.

But to be clear, I personally do not believe any government has the proper athourity to say what I can use or carry for self-defense.

I'd much rather crack a dude with a set of knuckles than use a knife or pistol (less likely to kill someone, be sued, deal with LE, etc). Yet in my state, knuckles are illegal, yet I can openly carry a knife or pistol. To someone like me, that makes absolutely no sense, I'm forced to use deadly force on someone who probably just needs a couple lumps, because I am restricted by law on what I can and cannot carry/use for self-defense. What ends up happening, I break the law, or carry a improvised or modified version of knuckles. The law itself, is meaningless, something that was engineered to be a added consequence for the common thug, became a restriction for the general public, resulting in less assholes with headaches and more holes in assholes... <~~~~see what I did there.

No it did not specifically mention that, but to be clear, I have never read where Scalia stated that the 2A could be regulated. I have read that the act of carrying of unusual and dangerous weapons could be restricted (I.e. lil Mohamad can't strap a pressure cooker bomb to his back and go walking around in public). I don't think anyone extreme right to extreme left would disagree, that people shouldn't be allowed to walk around with bombs strapped to their bodies.

But to be clear, I personally do not believe any government has the proper athourity to say what I can use or carry for self-defense.

I'd much rather crack a dude with a set of knuckles than use a knife or pistol (less likely to kill someone, be sued, deal with LE, etc). Yet in my state, knuckles are illegal, yet I can openly carry a knife or pistol. To someone like me, that makes absolutely no sense, I'm forced to use deadly force on someone who probably just needs a couple lumps, because I am restricted by law on what I can and cannot carry/use for self-defense. What ends up happening, I break the law, or carry a improvised or modified version of knuckles. The law itself, is meaningless, something that was engineered to be a added consequence for the common thug, became a restriction for the general public, resulting in less assholes with headaches and more holes in assholes... <~~~~see what I did there.

Maybe not for much longer. The door has been cracked:

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...es-new-york-ban-on-nunchucks-unconstitutional

Back