United States & Gun Control discussion.

I don't understand this part:

California law states that every weapon must have a unique serial number. So as of July 1, if a person is making their weapon out of parts rather than purchasing a new gun, they must apply to the California Justice Department for a “serial number or other mark.”

Unless I'm milling out my own 80% lower, wouldn't this be completely meaningless? I'm OK with requiring everyone's gun to have a serial # on it. Even if I'm putting a gun together out of parts, the receiver will have a serial # on it already in most cases.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm going to have to pull the law up and read the details. Some manufacturers do place matching serial numbers on frames, barrels, and slides, but most don't. Legally, the gun is the frame or lower (with the SIG P320 being a notable exception). The only impact I can see is that people will be required to obtain a serial number from the CA DOJ for their 80% builds, which kind of negates their perceived benefit.

The only impact I can see is that people will be required to obtain a serial number from the CA DOJ for their 80% builds, which kind of negates their perceived benefit.

Which is probably the only motivating factor behind the law. You apply for a SN, the state "forgets" to delete the records, and now they know who has what type of weapon.

I live in Hawaii now. In order to stay legal, when my guns get here I have to skip work and physically take them to the Honolulu PD to register them.

W.

T.

F.

Which is probably the only motivating factor behind the law. You apply for a SN, the state "forgets" to delete the records, and now they know who has what type of weapon.
Exactly. It's another step towards building capacity for confiscation.

I value both of your opinions but I can't see this or any other measure that can be interpreted as a precursor to confiscation as anything but a muse to support a political theme. Honestly, the closest we will get to confiscation will be through legislation. At this rate, it will be such a pain in the ass to own a firearm - many if not all will outright abandon the privilege to do so.

I value both of your opinions but I can't see this or any other measure that can be interpreted as a precursor to confiscation as anything but a muse to support a political theme. Honestly, the closest we will get to confiscation will be through legislation. At this rate, it will be such a pain in the ass to own a firearm - many if not all will outright abandon the privilege to do so.

Fair enough, but if there's no end state then why require registration? What benefit to society does it provide?

It provides no benefit to anyone but the legislator who made it happen. It becomes a track record...

"I made the streets safer through enacted firearms registrations (blah blah blah) now vote for me for another 30+ years."

I live in Hawaii now. In order to stay legal, when my guns get here I have to skip work and physically take them to the Honolulu PD to register them.

W.

T.

F.
I’m sure you have already considered this, but just in case.

Have you double checked to ensure that everything you own can be posessed in Hawaii? Would hate to see your police station visit hang an unexpected LEFT turn.

Counterfeit guns are being fabricated out of raw metal and assembled in small, clandestine metal working shops in the Philippines, then smuggled into California. These are replicas of commercially made 9mm and 45cal weapons but have no serial numbers. They are in high demand because they are untraceable. What relevance this may have to the CA law, I don't know...but there must be thousands of them on the black market.

Counterfeit guns are being fabricated out of raw metal and assembled in small, clandestine metal working shops in the Philippines, then smuggled into California. These are replicas of commercially made 9mm and 45cal weapons but have no serial numbers. They are in high demand because they are untraceable. What relevance this may have to the CA law, I don't know...but there must be thousands of them on the black market.

I don't recall the episode number off the top of my head, but Vice did an episode on that exact topic. It was fascinating.

Time to ban the Philippines and open up the gov't to lawsuits for allowing the manufacturing of these weapons of mass destruction.

"Family man who kills home invaders with unregistered Glock 19 is charged, tried before the court, and convicted to a bajillion years in prison"
- Said no news source, ever.

I'm sure the gangbangers and other crims in CA have complied with the registration/serializing law now that it's a legal requirement...:sneaky:

Bear with me here. In Oz, a guy in Sydney managed to get a pistol license despite warnings from police and gun clubs that he was never to get access, but was eventually issued a permit to acquire. He killed his two estranged teen children with legally acquired pistols. The Firearms Registry IMO fucked up. (No matter, another arguement). What has eventuated in the past two weeks is that the clubs are talking to each other. I'm relatively new to the competitive shooting scene, about five years, but in that time this has not occurred. In the past week I've received emails to beware of certain people who are looking to acquire training or to acquire. This is such a positive move and the beauty is there's no legislation behind it, the clubs have picked up the ball. In the US context, the only example I can think of is that if Chris Kyle and his partner had some kind of mental health pow wow with others their deaths may have been avoided. It's so positive and should be embraced.

Back