United States & Gun Control discussion.

That was needlessly petty and stupid, and does nothing to help the image of gun owners in America. Heaven forbid something should happen to any of those reporters, you can guarantee some kind of blanket ban in the next few months. Anti-2A are acting out of emotion here, and it will take a well-reasoned response on all fronts by responsible gun owners to prevent them from getting what they want. THAT MEANS not making threatening or near-threatening gestures towards the antis. Let's take the high road here.
Is publishing the names and addresses of permit holders (and putting them on an interactive searchable map online) more threatening or less threatening than publishing the name and address of the publisher and staff?

I disagree with the "high road" stuff. Totally inappropriate reaction here. What I take into consideration is that some of these people might be permit holders because they have reason to fear for their lives. I've given self defense classes to women who had stalkers and wanted to defend themselves. In the course of instruction I've advised them to educate themselves on concealed carry permit laws and to explore that as a viable, legal, and healthy option in seeking to defend themselves. In one case, I trained a woman who weighed about 130 lbs., who had been previously assaulted by her alcoholic 200 + lbs. ex husband. She had a restraining order against him and went out of her way to keep a low profile. If she had been in the jurisdiction of this newspaper, do you think publishing her name and address would be a threat to her?

If there's anything reckless and outright disgusting, it is this newspaper attempting to ostracize people who are abiding by the law. We should go out of our way to post their names and addresses on every forum and blog we can find.

If they don't like it they can think about that the next time they endanger hundreds of others in the same manner.

That was needlessly petty and stupid, and does nothing to help the image of gun owners in America. Heaven forbid something should happen to any of those reporters, you can guarantee some kind of blanket ban in the next few months. Anti-2A are acting out of emotion here, and it will take a well-reasoned response on all fronts by responsible gun owners to prevent them from getting what they want. THAT MEANS not making threatening or near-threatening gestures towards the antis. Let's take the high road here.

I did not make any threats, and posting that (public) information is nothing more than allowing people to reply to these retards as they see fit to do so.

Personally I think it is cowardly to not respond.

$0.02

That was needlessly petty and stupid, and does nothing to help the image of gun owners in America. Heaven forbid something should happen to any of those reporters,

What about the innocent law abiding citizens on the list the reporters printed? Are their lives and property less worthy than those of the reporter's?

This keeps getting better. This just underscores how the media views themselves as above the law. They know better than the rest of us. I hope they prosecute Gregory to the fullest extend of the law(s) he flouted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/26/david-gregory-police-investigation_n_2364637.html

NBC News had requested and was denied permission to use a high capacity magazine on "Meet the Press." Legal Insurrection's William A. Jacobson looked into an email allegedly from the Metropolitan Police Department which said that the network contacted the police before the segment. The MPD's Aziz Alali confirmed it, telling Jacobson:
"NBC contacted the Metropolitan Police Department inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for this segment. NBC was informed that that possession of a high capacity magazine is not permissible and the request was denied."

I am going to throw this out here.

This is cut/paste from http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
  • Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    • 120 specifically-named firearms;
    • Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
    • Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
  • Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
    • Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
    • Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
    • Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
  • Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
  • Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
    • Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
    • Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
    • Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
  • Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    • Background check of owner and any transferee;
    • Type and serial number of the firearm;
    • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
PDF copy of the bill: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...?File_id=10993387-5d4d-4680-a872-ac8ca4359119

I love the use of the NFA. $200 tax stamps, and instant registration.

I've worked with BATFE, and I have zero confidence in the probability of an expanded BATFE to function within Constitutional bounds in the setting of legislation like this.

If that doesn't make your you-know-what pucker, you're not fully appreciating the gravity of the situation.

I also love the creation of another unfunded federal mandate. Normally, I see the impact of these when dealing with healthcare issues. But the legislation requires certification from local LEOs as to identity and legality of the weapon. I think that imposes a large duty on local PDs, without a funding stream for it. The result could be local law enforcement not cooperating, and without that certification, you can't register your gun under the expanded NFA.

Hell, as it stands now I can't get the police commissioner to sign the form so I can buy a rifle suppressor to save my hearing should I have to discharge my M4 on duty. I can't imagine our commissioner--named to the Antigun panel--will be willing to assist civilians in any way.

Registration makes something possible here that has never before been possible: door to door confiscation.

Yup. The question is who would do it, and what methods would be used.

None of the people I work with will confiscate weapons from law abiding American citizens. We've discussed it and the consensus was that until the 2nd Amendment is repealed our oath is at odds with weapons confiscation. We won't do it.

From a practical standpoint, I can't see this being done without the wholesale cooperation of local law enforcement. There aren't enough feds.

National Guard. Don't like to think about it, but it is not outside the realm of conceivable. Hell, recently Director Mueller couldn't even answer the simple question of whether or not the new Obama doctrine of dropping Hellfires on American citizens -without a trial or due process- would also apply on US soil/within US territory. His answer: "I have to check with Eric Holder". Swear I am not making that up. These people have no compass (don't know enough about Director Mueller to say if that's an accurate characterization of him, but it is certainly true about this administration)

In my opinion anything is possible in the next 4 years.

I just emailed my Senator after getting his e-newsletter. I basically said "no new gun laws":thumbsdown:

SALT LAKE CITY – English teacher Kevin Leatherbarrow holds a license to carry a concealed weapon and doesn't see anything wrong with arming teachers in the aftermath of the deadly Connecticut school shooting.
"We're sitting ducks," said Leatherbarrow, who works at a Utah charter school. "You don't have a chance in hell. You're dead -- no ifs, ands or buts."
Gun-rights advocates in Utah agree and were offering six hours of training Thursday in handling concealed weapons for 200 Utah teachers in the latest effort to arm teachers to confront school assailants.
In Ohio, a firearms group said it was launching a test program in tactical firearms training for 24 teachers. The Arizona attorney general is proposing a change to state law to allow an educator in each school to carry a gun.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/27/teachers-in-utah-ohio-get-free-gun-training/#ixzz2GJsf4B96

Any assault rifle anyone on this board presently owns, if this law rolls out, you WILL be required to voluntarily register it with the Federal Government or it will not be Grandfathered, and will therefore be contraband. The very notion that what you and I own now legally and responsibly today can be arbitrarily made into contraband should make our blood boil. I know it does mine.

I hope this helps wake this sleeping juggernaut of a nation out of its slumber.

Any assault rifle anyone on this board owns, if this law rolls out, you WILL be required to voluntarily register it with the Federal Government or it will not be Grandfathered, and will therefore be contraband. The very notion that what you and I own now legally and responsibly today can be arbitrarily made into contraband should make our blood boil. I know it does mine.

I hope this helps wake this sleeping juggernaut of a nation out of its slumber.
:mad:

Write your elected officials

An interesting editorial. I find it slightly humorous that CNN would host it, given their recent "Ban, ban, ban" trend. Also, while I don't agree with all of it or some of his verbiage, the central them is one which shouldn't be unfamiliar to us.

http://us.cnn.com/2012/12/28/opinion/martin-gun-conversation/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

If we are going to keep saying, "let's have a conversation," then by God let's do it. Right now, we are seeing advocates against guns and for guns try to score points and demonize one another. That's not a conversation. It's an exercise in futility.

Issues such as education, poverty, income disparities, anger, violent video games and images, and many others must be looked at if we want to come to grips with America's deadly infatuation with guns.

Again, not everything is a direct cause. But any psychologist will tell you that a variety of factors lead to someone killing one person or 20.

For my media brothers and sisters, we have done a weak job at making this conversation broad and in-depth. We can't give it short shrift and think that a seven-minute panel will do the trick. We can't put so much attention on Newtown and ignore Chicago. It's not just about what happens in Washington, but also in state houses, commissioners' courts and city halls across the land.

The results of the LA gun buy back.

2,037 total weapons, 75 of which are "assault rifles". 75? Wow! That's a whole....oh, 3.68 percent if my math is right. The bulk of what's being turned in? Check out these scary photos:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-la-gun-buyback-pictures,0,308549.photogallery

Daddy's shotgun and bolt action rifles.

Oh, noes!!!! Rocket launchers!!!!!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-surface-during-los-angeles-guns-buyback?lite

"Those are weapons of war, weapons of death," said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck, according to the Los Angeles Times. "These are not hunting guns. These are not target guns. ... they have no place in our great city."

But the line just above that in the article even admits:

The weapons, essentially long metal tubes once capable of firing rockets, lacked the projectiles and parts needed to fire them, but even so had no place on the streets, police said.

Completely non-functioning weapons, incapable of being reloaded or reused...those are "weapons of death". :rolleyes: Congrats on providing a quote designed only to scare people (or show your total ignorance on the subject).

Back to the buyback photos, #6 in the link above shows a whole ton of "high cap" weapo....my bad, most of those are revolvers. I'd be interested to see the stats in revolvers vs. semiautos when committing crimes and even a breakdown of the semiautos between Glocks and the like vs. Raven .25's and their cousins.

Kudos to the LAPD for taking so many dangerous weapons off our streets...I wonder what the taxpayers shelled out considering you could receive up to $200 depending on the weapon?

Stay classy.

Back