United States & Gun Control discussion.

Journalism should not be considered a profession anymore. The bullshit these people have been spewing of late, the blatant disregard for fairly sound statistics, and the personal attacks on responsible gun owners is reprehensible. I would love to have the phone number, emails, and addresses of all national "journalists" touting their gun control stance. There needs to be repercussions for this kind of behavior, and I'm talking civil repercussions. Piers Morgan is #1 on that list.

It's also extremely unnerving to see federal law enforcement officers collecting weapons from citizens, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it. Liberty is dying..

There needs to be repercussions for this kind of behavior, and I'm talking civil repercussions. Piers Morgan is #1 on that list.

So, probably the best way to target that jackass is to start a letter writing campaign to the sponsors of his show and the television station on which the program airs.

:wall:

I went to a party. I then got caught up in a post Sandy Hook Gun Debate

"I think we should make gun laws blah blah blah"
*keep in mind we are all drinking which only adds to the fun*
Everyone there is a civilian except me
"Guns laws, outlaw guns blah blah blah"
*I'm ignoring this but...slowly......... being dragged into the BLACK VORTEX OF GUN DEBATE*
"Ban all high capacity bullets (what?), guns, blah, blah, guns bad, more laws, prison, etc"
*slowly my mind is starting to boil*
"So what do you think?......"
Me: "I think (10 logical arguments) and so on so on etc"
"MORE LAWS GUNS BAD BLAH BLAH IF WE JUST BAN ETC ETC"

I then mentally jump in front of a speeding train.

:wall:​
The point of that little rant was to point out there are some people out there that will not change their minds, and yet if we do not engage them in a debate (although a pointless one) then these people WILL scream loud until THEY are heard. Soon pens will be banned (sarcasm). Please people vote. Get out and e-mail your elected officials. Participate in the system.​

The results of the LA gun buy back.

Stay classy.

I want to go to one of these "buy back" things really bad. I would just stand around the table out bidding the cops and buying up all the classic and priceless guns that some crack head is selling for $100. Hell I would not mind having one of the old AT4 trainers (the one that fired the 9mm tracer), that would be a fun toy out here. Or better yet, if I could get a hold of one of those .30 cal Browning Machine Guns, mount it on top of my F250.

Fucking Cali, I am almost positive they put something in the water there, something that just makes people say and do stupid-ass-shit.

The point of that little rant was to point out there are some people out there that will not change their minds, and yet if we do not engage them in a debate (although a pointless one) then these people WILL scream loud until THEY are heard. Soon pens will be banned (sarcasm). Please people vote. Get out and e-mail your elected officials. Participate in the system.​

I've found it best to not get involved in those arguments. I just say, "Give me your ONE best argument. You're only allowed one point/argument/idea to stand behind to make or break this debate. What would it be?" I counter with mine, and 9 times out of 10 they'll want to change their 'best' argument. You can't win with these people.

I want to go to one of these "buy back" things really bad. I would just stand around the table out bidding the cops and buying up all the classic and priceless guns that some crack head is selling for $100.

Haha. I had the same exact idea. I've also been camping Armslist.org and other classifieds to see if anyone else is parting with ridiculous deals. Not much luck.

So, Hartford, Connecticut recently held a gun buyback program and the results were only slightly "better" than LA's.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Gun-buyback-program-gains-traction-4152958.php

Locally, Bridgeport officers on Friday recovered 108 guns, including about 10 assault weapons, on top of the 104 guns they took in last weekend, according to Officer Nick Ortiz. In all, they've paid out $22,775 in exchange for the guns.

So, about 9.5% were "assault rifles" and there was no count for the period where 104 total weapons were turned in...though I suspect if the haul was as significant they would say something. But, fear not! One taken off the street was...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/world-war-ii-era-german-assault-rifle-_n_2270815.html

Unbeknownst to the owner, the rifle was identified as a World War II-era German assault rifle valued between $30,000 and $40,000, NECN reports.

The gun is a Sturmgewehr 44, which holds a 30-round magazine, shoots 500 rounds per minute and is the basis for "every modern assault rifle produced today," Officer John Cavanna of the Hartford Police told NECN.

Jesus wept tears of blood when He saw that, I'm sure of it. At least they let her keep it though I'm saddened to live in a world where such a clueless twit has that sitting in her attic with no idea of what it is.

But all-in-all, if you read the stories from people who are turning in their guns you'll realize that these buyback programs are emptying someone's closet and doing little to nothing to makes our streets safe. They ARE doing a hefty business in fear mongering thanks to the media, but that seems to be the only real contribution so far.

Unless you find a StG 44 and are too stupid to realize it.

Here's my question...no one in the makes the big bucks ranks have talked about revamping an eroded psychiatric system. We used to commit psychos back in the day. We don't have the facilities anymore, even though medical professionals know how to treat the problems the government has shut down the system starting in the Reagan administration and continued because the patients were supposedly being denied rights.

Well menaces to society need to be treated.

Here's my question...no one in the makes the big bucks ranks have talked about revamping an eroded psychiatric system. We used to commit psychos back in the day. We don't have the facilities anymore, even though medical professionals know how to treat the problems the government has shut down the system starting in the Reagan administration and continued because the patients were supposedly being denied rights.

Well menaces to society need to be treated.

You're on a slippery slope.

When I was in high school some 22 or so years ago, our Psych class went to the state's mental health hospital or whatever you would call it. We spent about 4 hours there, talked with the staff, and received a limited tour of the facility.

It creeps me out to this day. Think of every bad movie, every pseudo-horror show set in one of those places, and that's what it looked and felt like. Dirty, miserable, the walls were painted a pale green...the bus ride back to school was quiet. A bus full of teenagers and it was quiet.

There is no way in hell I could support facilities like that.

Alternatively, I've seen private centers in operation and it was vastly different in look and feel. I presume those places make their money via a patient's insurance plus whatever the state provides per patient per day. It was a little depressing vs. the slit-my-wrists experience 20 years prior. Now with the new health care bill in place? I just don't know.

The implementation is frightening no matter how you look at it.

Why take the easy route of doing nothing which is what this Assault Weapons Ban would be. They didn't talk about increasing security at schools (NRA did), and there is definitely no mention of revamping the mental health system.

http://news.yahoo.com/nyc-couple-arrested-explosive-substance-found-155041549.html
I thought Bloomberg did away with Big Gulps AND guns in NYC? O_o

A Manhattan couple was facing weapons charges Monday after authorities said they found a substance used to make bombs and papers titled "The Terrorist Encyclopedia" in their Greenwich Village apartment.
Morgan Gliedman, 27, and her 31-year-old boyfriend, Aaron Greene, were arrested on weapons-possession charges Saturday after officers with a search warrant discovered a plastic container with 7 grams of HMTD, a highly explosive white powder used in bomb making, police and prosecutors said.
Also found in the living room were numerous written items containing instructions on the manufacture of explosive materials and bombs, including a collection of pages that had a cover page entitled "The Terrorist Encyclopedia," court papers said.
According to the court papers, chemical precursors to HMTD also were found in the living room.
Greene was held without bail after he appeared in state court in Manhattan on Sunday. Gliedman, who is nine months pregnant, was awaiting an initial court appearance. It was not clear who will represent her in court.
"The whole situation's sad," said attorney Lisa Pelosi, who represented Greene. She declined further comment. He is due back in court Friday.
The New York Post reported in its Monday editions that Gliedman is the daughter of a prominent Manhattan doctor. It described her boyfriend as a Harvard graduate and an Occupy Wall Street activist.
The newspaper said police went to the apartment with a search warrant stemming from a credit card-theft case. It said weapons recovered included a flare launcher, a commercial replica of a grenade launcher, a 12-gauge shotgun, ammunition and nine high-capacity rifle magazines.

Gliedman, Harvard grad, Leftist, Occupy Wall Street protestor and domestic terrorist. WTF is wrong with our Ivy League schools?

Back