United States & Gun Control discussion.

Ah, but probably better for a separate thread is criminal justice reform (defund the police thread?). How both Republican and Democrats fed the Black community (and others) into an endless prison meat grinder, then turned around and blamed one another. Communities were shit on, gun violence went up, and now both parties can make their own pro-gun/ anti-gun arguments. The losers here are people who aren't in a position of power, aka "almost every damn American since the War on Drugs kicked off."

Kind of like my post on abortion earlier today, my rants on Afghanistan, and whatever "pick a problem" argument any of us can make: 2nd and 3rd order effects and/ or a lot of our country's problems are interconnected. One reason I'm staunchly against gun control is because it is part of a broader problem in America, not a one-size-fits-all solution.

I hate our gay heart icon, but love the post.

Here we go again. The 22 year old July 4th shooter had multiple encounters with law enforcement yet his uncle claims there were "no warning signs".

Alleged Highland Park shooter expected in bond court Wednesday after murder charges filed

Lake County Major Crimes Task Force spokesman Chris Covelli said at a Tuesday morning press conference that Crimo fired more than 70 rounds into the parade.

Covelli said Crimo planned the shooting for weeks and accessed the rooftop of a building using a fire escape ladder. After the shooting, Crimo reportedly left his rifle and climbed down to escape while wearing women's clothing to blend in and hide his facial tattoos.

Covelli said Crimo then went to his mother's house and borrowed her 2010 Honda Fit, which he drove to the Madison, Wisconsin, area before returning to Illinois, where he was spotted and arrested.

The weapon used in the shooting was purchased legally, Covelli said. A second AR-15-style rifle was in the car, which investigators believe was also purchased legally. They also found multiple handguns in the Highwood home where Crimo lived with his uncle.

His uncle, Paul Crimo, said there were no warning signs before the attack.

Police said Tuesday Crimo was involved in two prior incidents in Highland Park, the most recent in September 2019 when a family member called police to report he had a knife collection and "was going to kill everyone," authorities said. Police removed knives from Crimo's possession.

Months earlier, in April 2019, someone called police one week after learning Crimo tried to kill himself, police said. Police spoke with Crimo and his parents and learned mental health professionals were handling the situation.

"There was no probable cause to arrest. There were no complaints that were signed by any of the victims," Covelli said Tuesday.
Officials said three months after the second incident, Crimo obtained a firearm owners ID card after being sponsored by his father. Illinois State Police said "there was insufficient basis to establish a clear and present danger and deny the FOID application."

Authorities said the weapon used in the July 4 shooting was purchased after those incidents.

Here we go again. The 22 year old July 4th shooter had multiple encounters with law enforcement yet his uncle claims there were "no warning signs".

Alleged Highland Park shooter expected in bond court Wednesday after murder charges filed

Yep. Instead of additional gun laws, folks should hold these fucking law enforcement agencies, accountable that drop the ball on these wack jobs.

Tin foil hat Alex Jones in me thinks that it's crazy how this stuff happens, you know, to push the agenda for control. Yeah, far fetched, or is it?

It's crazy to me that security let unvetted/searched people get that close to him. Looks like the shooter made himself a double barreled shotgun.

Shinzo Abe’s suspected assassin pictured behind him before killing
shinzo-abe-killer-lurking-behind-07.jpg

For the sake of this discussion:

1) I believe this page is the actual location of Japan's gun laws, but my Japanese is a bit rusty...as in, I've never taken Japanese.

2) English link to firearm and sword control laws in Japan. I cannot confirm authenticity at this point, but the info doesn't seem to conflict with what is being reported in most news sites.

TLDR: seems gun laws really haven't been loosened since 1992, at which point they were heavily restricted to airguns and shotguns.

It's crazy to me that security let unvetted/searched people get that close to him. Looks like the shooter made himself a double barreled shotgun.

Shinzo Abe’s suspected assassin pictured behind him before killing
shinzo-abe-killer-lurking-behind-07.jpg

Japan has a history of politically motivated assassinations of important people. In a number of cases the assassins were driven by what they felt was patriotic duty.

I’m thinking complacency led to the lack of security here.

IDK what agency in Japan is tasked with close protection of former PMs, but based on the photos, I don’t think this crew was armed.

Japan has a history of politically motivated assassinations of important people. In a number of cases the assassins were driven by what they felt was patriotic duty.

I’m thinking complacency led to the lack of security here.

IDK what agency in Japan is tasked with close protection of former PMs, but based on the photos, I don’t think this crew was armed.

This one is a little weird purely because of the commonality of patriotic duty being cited as the reason.

It's usually an assailant and politician of opposing parties.

This guy allegedly told the police he killed Abe because he was "dissatisfied with him".

That sounds like he was a member of the LDP(Abe's party) or at least another party that commonly aligns with them.

ETA:

Apprently the guy was there to kill a senior official of a group (Japanese media is saying religious) that Abe is rumored to be part of, not because of his politics.

Suspect behind ex-PM Abe's shooting says he planned to target religious group exec - The Mainichi

Sheeeiittt....

Unless my kids go to the door, which they often do not, I do NOT go to the door. They can fuck off right down the street with solicitors, salesmen, Jerry's Kids, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Mormons, and everyone else who isn't invited (except my neighbors, they are good to go, and they know it).

And if'n you DO come back, bring that warrant for admission!

Fuck you federal cunts. "Just doing our jobs". The nazis were just doing their jobs.

Get a fucking warrant or fuck off.
"We're just doing a door to door firearms check." So because I bought two pistols at the same time two years ago, I landed on a federal list and now armed men might show up at my house to "inspect" my guns? WTF.

Back