United States & Gun Control discussion.

Meanwhile from your friends at Discover Card:

https://money.usnews.com/investing/...king-of-purchases-at-gun-retailers-from-april

(Reuters) -Discover Financial Services, a provider of credit cards, told Reuters it will allow its network to track purchases at gun retailers come April, making it the first among its peers to publicly give a date for moving ahead with the initiative, which is aimed at helping authorities probe gun-related crimes.

Discover's announcement came after the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), which decides on the classification of merchant categories used by payment cards, approved in September the launch of a dedicated code for gun retailers.
Proponents of the move, including gun control activists and Democratic politicians, say it will allow financial institutions to better assist authorities in investigating crimes involving gun violence in the United States.
Fuck Discover financial services🖕🏽

“I had made the stupidest decision of my life,” Hupp has said on numerous occasions, including a 2019 testimony before a congressional committee. “My gun was 100 yards away, dutifully left in my car to obey the law because at that time in the state of Texas, carrying a handgun was illegal.”

Carrying a handgun was illegal... IN TEXAS... in 1991? Either this quote is missing some nuance, is flat-out wrong, or my brain is grossly mis-remembering general gun laws in Southern states from 30 years ago.

Carrying a handgun was illegal... IN TEXAS... in 1991? Either this quote is missing some nuance, is flat-out wrong, or my brain is grossly mis-remembering general gun laws in Southern states from 30 years ago.

Surprisingly, open carry was not allowed until 2015 in Texas. Not sure of the history on their CC permits but Texas wasn't always as gun free as its reputation.

The thing about Texas is that BITD lots and lots of folks carried long guns in their vehicles...and regardless of laws packed heat. From what my Lone Star friends tell me, nobody who lived outside the city limits gave two shits about the laws.

It was the same in North Carolina in the 60s and 70s...and into the 80s. Back then concealed carry was illegal but open carry was okay. You could put your handgun in its holster up on the dashboard of your car so it was visible.

Of course I remember fondly being able to buy Schlitz beer at 14 on the pier at Wrightsville Beach. Nobody carded anybody. The South was different then. 8-)

Last edited:
This is true. I was stationed in Texas in the early 90's and recall seeing a lot of rifles in the window racks of pick-ups. I think that was legal.

Shotguns and rifles were always legal to carry in Texas...on your person or in your vehicle, mainly due to the hunting culture. You could have a pistol in your car if you were "traveling" which used to be defined as crossing at least two county lines. Now, all has changed....for the best.

Visa and Mastercard have said that the reason for the gun shop category was a decision outside of their control. The International Organization for Standardization, better known as ISO, is the group that categorizes merchant codes and Visa and Mastercard were just following their decision. Gun control advocates lobbied for the change to ISO, not to Visa and Mastercard.

An international org, based on Switzerland, published a financial standard that American companies blindly used. This is how conspiracy theories gain traction, though lately they look less and less like "theories"...

Probably because of threatened lawsuits. Gentleman and ladies, this is how the fucking federal government will destroy 2A.

Not by 3 letter domestic terrorists taking guns but by companies on the pockets of government, slowly chipping away at plastic, ammo, purchases until guns are obsolete.

Us conspiracy theorists are not so nuts now.

Back