United States & Gun Control discussion.

Here is some Gallup polling from Dec.
tqxzoipb8kyae7usyrxldw.gif

There is a pretty good break down of a lot of different aspect of the issue here: http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

This site has more current data from a wide variety of sources. http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

I just got and email from the White House. :rolleyes:
They actually want people to watch Crazy Uncle Joe's video. :wall:

Hear more about the plan to reduce gun violence
Last week, Vice President Biden led a conversation about ways to reduce reduce gun violence, and we wanted to make sure you saw it.
He spoke in an online video chat with folks who have a range of perspectives, and the Vice President laid out the White House policy recommendations and answered their questions.
You can watch the video here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013...ut-vice-president-biden-reducing-gun-violence

I thought it was rather funny how he tried to rationalize how a two shot shotgun was better in a multi-attacker scenario than a weapon that can fire multiple, accurate shots without reloading :-/

I thought it was rather funny how he tried to rationalize how a two shot shotgun was better in a multi-attacker scenario than a weapon that can fire multiple, accurate shots without reloading :-/

And with a hugely reduced recoil. Biden is a stupid cunt and no mistake!

So The New 'Safer' New York Now Begins.....
2 Cases reported today.

#1) It's just been reported that a retired 4 tour Army SSGT has been arrested and charged with Class D Felony(s) after a traffic stop and search revealed (3) AR15 - 30 rd magazines found in his car.

#2) http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/
A Long Island man is going to drive his cousin home and finds 5 guys milling around his car who look like MS13 Gang members to him. He asks them to move on and they start threatening him. He gets an AK from his home (legally owned and registered) comes back out and now demands that they move on, but 20 more gang members start showing up all threatening death to him and his entire family. The man fires 4 rounds into his lawn, knowing that the police maintain a "ShotSpotter" technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet and would show up and he shot into the lawn to hold back the growing mob.

What happens? The homeowner is arrested and charged with a D felony; "reckless endangerment" — which requires 'a depraved indifference to human life'. Even though the local police readily admit that there are over 2000 MS13 members living around this area.
davy_crockett_hell_texas_long_sleeve_dark_tshi.jpg

http://twg2a.wordpress.com/tag/cascade-county-sheriff-bob-edwards/

"
Now Cascade County Sheriff Bob Edwards has offered his thoughts on the issue; he posted the following open letter on his Facebook page:
A Note from your Sheriff: I have been fielding a lot of questions lately regarding my opinion on gun laws.
I will start out by saying as your Sheriff, I have taken an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and Montana and I take that very seriously. This means I will not support any unconstitutional laws and I do not think any Sheriff would.
I have also pledged to protect and serve the citizens of Cascade County to the best of my ability.
Guns are on the forefront of debate when it comes to violent crime. This is where I get frustrated. There is more to violent crime than just guns and in my opinion, new gun laws will not change the fact we have violent crimes.
We recently had a suspect drive through our County throwing pipe bombs at responding law enforcement trying to kill them. Also, there was a suspect that attempted to attack one of my deputies with a baseball bat that had fencing nails attached to it.
Obviously, these people were not in their right minds and did not use guns to commit their violent crimes.
I would like to see our lawmakers start working on mental health issues. Granted, not everyone with a mental health issue has violent tendencies so please do not take this the wrong way...."

We here in Cascade County are proud to call Sheriff Bob one of ours! Don't tread on Montana.

I wish I could buy that man drinks many times over. A well thought out statement with facts and evidence from someone not even born in the U.S. Other should follow this example.

So The New 'Safer' New York Now Begins.....
2 Cases reported today.

#1) It's just been reported that a retired 4 tour Army SSGT has been arrested and charged with Class D Felony(s) after a traffic stop and search revealed (3) AR15 - 30 rd magazines found in his car.

I don't know the details of this case. With that said, as a general rule never ever never never consent to a search of your person, car, or home. It may well happen anyway--and may be proper--but do not waive your 4th Amendment protections.

This arrest stinks.

#2) http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/
A Long Island man is going to drive his cousin home and finds 5 guys milling around his car who look like MS13 Gang members to him. He asks them to move on and they start threatening him. He gets an AK from his home (legally owned and registered) comes back out and now demands that they move on, but 20 more gang members start showing up all threatening death to him and his entire family. The man fires 4 rounds into his lawn, knowing that the police maintain a "ShotSpotter" technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet and would show up and he shot into the lawn to hold back the growing mob.

Am I the only person who sees problems with this series of decisions?

This should serve as fair warning to Democrats wanting to impose a new AWB.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s approval rating is down by double digits weeks after the Democrat signed sweeping new gun control legislation, a new poll Wednesday says.

According to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday, Cuomo’s approval rating is at 59 percent, with 28 percent disapproving, down from last month’s sky-high 74 percent approval, with 13 percent disapproving of his performance in office.

This is the letter that I just received from Rep. Doug Lamborn:

January 30, 2013

Dear KAROSHI,

Thank you for contacting me about proposed gun regulations. I appreciate hearing from you.
First and foremost, no words can adequately describe the tragedy that occurred in Connecticut. With the loss of so many innocent lives, especially the young children, our prayers should continue to go out to the families and the community around them. While a political discussion of what we in Congress can do to prevent future tragedies is inevitable, I hope these discussions will not overshadow the memory of those who lost their life that day.

As a Member of Congress I will honor my oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States." Since being ratified on December 15, 1791, the Bill of Rights has been one of the core pillars of our Constitution. The rights enshrined to the people there have been a beacon to the world. The 2nd Amendment states, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." In 2008 the historic Supreme Court case of D.C. vs Heller reaffirmed this amendment as a protection for individuals of the right to bear arms. There is no clause in the Second Amendment qualifying or limiting this right.

As the 113th Congress begins there will be extensive discussion in the months ahead concerning what, if any, changes to our gun laws or other laws are needed following the tragic events in Connecticut. I take seriously the need to safeguard the Constitutional right to bear arms. I believe that responsible gun owners should not be punished for the actions of one deranged person. I am concerned that in a rush to do something, there may be an overreaction. I think we need to take a thoughtful approach and look at all of the facts in order to avoid any unintended consequences.

As we review the facts and study this issue I hope we also review the effectiveness of current efforts to control gun use. The shooter in Connecticut, a state with some of the most stringent gun control laws in the nation, stole the guns from his mother after brutally murdering her. He illegally carried the guns into a "gun-free" zone because he knew there would be no one to stop him. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a majority of guns used by criminals are stolen, bought on the black market, or obtained in other illegal ways. Most, if not all, of the laws being proposed by gun control advocates would not have made any difference in Connecticut.

Lastly, President Obama and Vice President Biden have both indicted they will be using executive orders to pursue gun control. Unfortunately too often this administration has used this tactic to go around Congress to achieve its agenda. This flies in the face of the design of our Founding Fathers when they established the Constitution with three co-equal branches with checks and balances. Although the President can direct various executive agencies how to do their business, the Constitution does not allow the President to make law through executive order. If President Obama wants changes to our gun laws he must bring these changes to Congress so we can have an open, honest, and transparent debate. Anything other than this is totally unacceptable.

As we as a nation continue to heal from this tragedy I hope we also look within our families, churches, and cultural institutions--for answers. Thank you once again for providing me with your concerns. For more information about my efforts on behalf of Colorado and to receive periodic congressional updates, please visit my website at Lamborn.house.gov/.

Sincerely,
Doug Lamborn
Member of Congress

From the office of the LT Gov of IL addressed to MR. Gypsy. :rolleyes: I sent an email back, The 2nd Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting, but thanks anwyay.
Dear Mr. Gypsy

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate your thoughts regarding the Second Amendment rights of all Illinois residents.

Hunting is an important tradition across the state and in my native Southern Illinois, and as a former prosecutor and as Lt. Governor, I am committed to protecting our constitutional rights. But we also need to consider the effects of gun violence. Our efforts should focus on protecting both our constitutional rights and our safety.
My goal is to support measures that both reduce gun violence and protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun owners. As firearms legislation moves through the General Assembly, I expect that there will be a robust debate on these issues. I will continue to be involved in discussions that involve the safety of our citizens.

Thank you once again for your thoughts. It is important for me to maintain an active engagement with the public on all matters that affect our state. Please contact my office again at any time.

Sincerely,

Sheila Simon

From a Congressman, at least he is much more thoughtful in his response.

Dear Ms. Gypsy

Thank you for contacting me with regard to our nation's gun laws in the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts surrounding this horrific event.

As a father of four, I cannot begin to comprehend the pain that the family and loved ones of these victims are currently experiencing.

Recent acts of violence have brought into sharp focus the need for discourse and action to avert this sort of tragedy in the future. The issue that we're facing requires a comprehensive and holistic approach. As you may know, President Obama created an interagency task force led by Vice President Joe Biden to develop specific policy recommendations to combat gun violence. House and Senate Committees will be holding hearings and reviewing these proposals in the coming weeks.

I agree with President Obama's recent comments that "No single law, no set of laws, can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society." Unfortunately, the tragedy in Connecticut is evidence of that; Connecticut has some of the strictest gun laws in the United States, including an assault weapons ban. The primary weapon used during the attack was not prohibited under this ban, underscoring the reality that there is no cure-all solution. It is undeniable that improvements need to be made to prevent criminals and unstable individuals from obtaining these weapons in the first place.

As a society, this is also a crucial moment for us to reexamine existing weaknesses within our mental health care system. It is critical that mentally unstable individuals are able to receive the resources and attention that they genuinely need to effectively cope with their illness.

Rest assured that I will be continually engaged in discussions with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle as we consider and pursue policy solutions to guard against the sort of catastrophic event we recently saw prompt this moment of national reflection. The safety of our schools and communities is a matter that transcends political ideology, and we must fully commit to taking concrete steps to prevent these unspeakable tragedies from occurring in the future.

Again, thank you for your correspondence. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to call my office at (202) 225-4561.

Very truly yours,

Peter J. Roskam
Member of Congress

Sorry if this is a repost, I did a quick search and saw nothing.

http://asmdss.com/page/news.html/_/articles/letter-from-special-forces-to-america-2nd-amendment.html

After a getting a "WARNO" previously, ASMDSS and Stolen Valor received this letter from members of the SOF community on their concerns for America and the Second Amendment. This letter was signed by over 1100 members of the SOF community, of which the names will not be published as this is Active and Retired members.

Whether you agree with it or not, it is well worth the read.

29 Jan 2013
Protecting the Second Amendment – Why all Americans Should Be Concerned

We are current or former Army Reserve, National Guard, and active duty US Army Special Forces soldiers (Green Berets). We have all taken an oath to “…support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.…” The Constitution of the United States is without a doubt the single greatest document in the history of mankind, codifying the fundamental principle of governmental power and authority being derived from and granted through the consent of the governed. Our Constitution established a system of governance that preserves, protects, and holds sacrosanct the individual rights and primacy of the governed as well as providing for the explicit protection of the governed from governmental tyranny and/or oppression. We have witnessed the insidious and iniquitous effects of tyranny and oppression on people all over the world. We and our forebears have embodied and personified our organizational motto, De Oppresso Liber [To Free the Oppressed], for more than a half century as we have fought, shed blood, and died in the pursuit of freedom for the oppressed.

Amazing write up gentlemen. This hit every corner imaginable.

I don't know the details of this case. With that said, as a general rule never ever never never consent to a search of your person, car, or home. It may well happen anyway--and may be proper--but do not waive your 4th Amendment protections.
This arrest stinks.
I would agree with you to a certain extent. Calling 911 before grabbing the AK, would seem to be a more prudent choice. But I wasn't there, he certainly has a right to defend his property, and regardless; firing warning shots into the ground hardly sounds like "reckless disregard for life". I'm guessing that in some parts of Texas they might just call that 'down right polite' - if not a waste of good ammo. :D

That thing with the gang members and the AK... something just doesn't seem quite right to me. In fact it almost screams out "rival gang member" instead of "innocent bystander civilian."

This arrest stinks.

Am I the only person who sees problems with this series of decisions?

Maybe I don't know enough about the case, or maybe I'm a pacifist, but IMO rounds exiting the barrel (deadly force) should be the last option. Once he walked in his house, he should have called 912 unless they started breaking down the door.

Back