Whats your backup plan?

Well I am in my back up plan already. Tried out was told I wasn't what they were looking for, went back to being a Drill SGT. Had a short pity party on my layover back, got ridiculed for not making it, made DS of the Cycle that class I missed R&I for, PCSed to Carson, and now in the process of putting my CI packet together. If I don't get selected to do that then I am going to try and becom a dog handler (31K) or do the mounted color guard and get paid by the army to ride horses lol.

Sorry you didn't make it, I know this was something that was important to you and that you worked hard for. But I also know that sometimes not getting what you want at the time can be an incredible blessing later on in life...

Well I am in my back up plan already. Tried out was told I wasn't what they were looking for, went back to being a Drill SGT. Had a short pity party on my layover back, got ridiculed for not making it, made DS of the Cycle that class I missed R&I for, PCSed to Carson, and now in the process of putting my CI packet together. If I don't get selected to do that then I am going to try and becom a dog handler (31K) or do the mounted color guard and get paid by the army to ride horses lol.

That sounds like a cool gig. One thing that amazes me about the service is the numerous opportunites and varying experiences one can walk away with. Goodluck in whatever you decide to do.

Oft times, the best indicator of a person's character happens after things don't go one's way. Some would call it defeat. I say it's a chance to show your mettle. I could seriously dig being a K9 handler. Good on you dirtmover.

I can only speak for the AF, but it's the same deal. However, you can sort of choose your path if you get good recommendations from the staff at Selection or in the pipeline. It all comes down to Uncle Sam- but simply throwing a dart at a list of career fields isn't exactly prudent.

And I know the Xray program is gone now- but there was a good amount of time where guys weren't MOS qualed prior to the SF route. Thats the way it is in the AF, and has been for a bit. You can come in right off the street to be a PJ with no training and no idea what other jobs are about or available.

Furthermore, is getting out an option? If SOF isn't it, are you getting out of the military? How long till you can go back and try again? What job would better prepare you for the re-attack? Get you out of pipeline schools, etc?
the xray program is still there, they just got really selective as to who gets that contract. as for those of us already in the army MOS-Q you attend SFAS in a TDY status and if you dont make it for whatever the reason you just return to your current MOS and unit and wait a year til you can possibly go try again. as for the Xrays the 11B ait is part of their pipeline so they usually get sent to the 82nd as 11B.

as for myself if i dont make it, just readjust training and try again when i can get another spot in SFAS

the xray program is still there, they just got really selective as to who gets that contract. as for those of us already in the army MOS-Q you attend SFAS in a TDY status and if you dont make it for whatever the reason you just return to your current MOS and unit and wait a year til you can possibly go try again. as for the Xrays the 11B ait is part of their pipeline so they usually get sent to the 82nd as 11B.

as for myself if i dont make it, just readjust training and try again when i can get another spot in SFAS
Appreciate the input! Thanks.

How do you know this?

Well I was working with the SF recruitor for my post until I got stress fractures in my shins last fall. When I was switching over from the National Guard to the Active Army 18X was one of my MOS choices, due to family circumstances at that time I didnt take it. That was back in the spring of 2011, however we get guys here all the time that washed out of the x-ray program did a year in the 82nd and then PCSd from there to us. From what they say it hasnt changed any.

As far as how easy it is to get an 18x contract, speaking strictly from a recruiting stand point, it is extremely easy provided the person meets the minimum requirements (107 GT Score and eligible for a Secret clearance being the main things).

107, both Ranger and SF lowered the minimum GT score for some reason. My guess: When it was 110, a 3 point waiver could be authorized. "can be authorized" might as well read "will be authorized" when it comes to USAREC. So I think they said "fuck it, just make it 107 then". Also, I have heard for ranger slots they will waive it down to 105 for guys who pick up the contract in AIT and have exceptional PT scores. I don't agree with either unit lowering it below 110, but I guess it is what it is.

If I fail Id go for infantry and if I get to be more specific id try for 21B. Either would give me better experience as to what the life is like and would give me some time to work on the reasons I didn't make it the first time. Even if I have to wait years to retry selection it will just give me more knowledge/prep to go back at it again. If I made it through and got assigned to a unit the second time id be more valuable to them having some experience versus where I am currently.

The Cadre know what they want and what the unit will need. If I give up after 1 failed attempt and write off my goals then 1. It must not have been all that important 2. They were right to deny me.

If someone signs an 18x and does not make it through selection do they have a choice as to where they go from there? I was under the impression if I failed id go straight to 11B end of story..

107, both Ranger and SF lowered the minimum GT score for some reason. My guess: When it was 110, a 3 point waiver could be authorized. "can be authorized" might as well read "will be authorized" when it comes to USAREC. So I think they said "fuck it, just make it 107 then". Also, I have heard for Ranger slots they will waive it down to 105 for guys who pick up the contract in AIT and have exceptional PT scores. I don't agree with either unit lowering it below 110, but I guess it is what it is.
I scored 108. Would I be allowed to retake the ASVAB to bump my score up to 110? I would feel better knowing I met the old standards.

Thanks I'll do that.

When I was taking the ASVAB the test administrator stopped everyone to say that a guy who just got finished had scored the highest he'd ever seen, he started clapping then half the people in the classroom were clapping. I finished shortly after and all I got was a handshake and a "that's a fine score young man."

I walked out feeling dumber then when I walked in.

Now have to go look to see what my GT score was

Edit to add boy did my recruiter screw me GT 118 and I took 11B

127 GT here.

GT score, along with DLAB score (unless you're a linguist) ranks pretty high up there with "shit that doesn't matter"

Although, for the record I did get a 122 DLAB, which made me feel pretty smart at the time.

Back