Whats your backup plan?

As for the bold, and speaking strictly from a Navy standpoint, we had options when we dropped. We were given a list of jobs based on what was available and what our ASVAB score was. I had a high ASVAB, so I had about 16 jobs to choose from. Others had 5-6. I don't know of anyone who was forced to take XYZ job when they talked to the classifier. Again, my experience from the Navy.
What was your ASVAB score, if you don't mind me asking.

That's awesome. I got a 76 on mine and my line scores barely qualified for EOD. I would really hope they offered me HM if I DOR'd. It should go unsaid that I don't plan on it, but no one does, shit happens, etc.
It's funny, after giving it some thought, what does everyone want to know/ask about? What makes guys quit. On the bus ride from the airport to the NAB Coronado, everyone was asking about what makes guys quit in the pool. Buddy tows, under waters, brick treads... In hindsight, fuck that. Ask about the guys that make it through. They're the only ones that matter. A million different things can make a guy quit, but the ones who succeed probably have many things in common.
HM was on my list, but it totally depends on manning levels at the time. Make it through your pipeline and it won't be a concern. :thumbsup:

It's funny, after giving it some thought, what does everyone want to know/ask about? What makes guys quit. On the bus ride from the airport to the NAB Coronado, everyone was asking about what makes guys quit in the pool. Buddy tows, under waters, brick treads... In hindsight, fuck that. Ask about the guys that make it through. They're the only ones that matter. A million different things can make a guy quit, but the ones who succeed probably have many things in common.
HM was on my list, but it totally depends on manning levels at the time. Make it through your pipeline and it won't be a concern. :thumbsup:
Yeah, it's something I endlessly think about, but that's a really good thought that I should probably put more time into. It's almost a pessimism vs optimism thing...but I digress. Thanks for the advice!

From the way I understand it, which I could be wrong, is if for some reason something happens and I don't make it through the Marine Recon Pipeline, then I think they would send me to Infantry because that is the MOS I would have trained in prior to going to BRC. And if that were to happen then I would serve as an Infantry Marine the best I could.

From the way I understand it, which I could be wrong, is if for some reason something happens and I don't make it through the Marine Recon Pipeline, then I think they would send me to Infantry because that is the MOS I would have trained in prior to going to BRC. And if that were to happen then I would serve as an Infantry Marine the best I could.
I've seen a couple times where the USMC guys with green labels under their name (Uncle Petey, Hitman 2/3) said Infantry is overmanned (for lack of a better word) and would not be an option on washing out of the pipeline. I could be wrong, or that could have changed, but I do recall seeing a comment of that nature on more than one occasion.

If you come in the Marine Corps with an 03 contract, and you attempt Recon and get dropped, you will be assigned to a regular infantry unit.

I can see this is a very touchy issue with some. My experience in life is to always have an exit strategy balanced with a complete no-quite attitude with as much preparation as possible ahead of time. I have not served in the military previously so obviously I do not have first hand knowledge yet as to what its like in an SOF INDOC school. However everyone starts from scratch at some point. Some make it first time through, most don't. Even those who've have been currently serving are subject to the same attrition rates as a no-body off the streets. Granted they will most likely have a better mental azimuth of sorts when tackling the immediate hurdles during their selection than someone minutes out of BMT. So please don't take my thoughts as prideful or foolhardy.

Should plan (A) fail only due to injury or being dropped by cadre, plan (B) is to find another way. Hopefully my efforts, attitude & accomplishments during the pipeline place me in a position to be recycled back into the program for another go. If so I will do everything humanly possible to overcome that weakness prior to being recycled. Should plan (B) not work, plan (C) is at this point an unknown. I've heard too many rumors on the subject to know for sure. My understanding is if I were to non-select or quit at anytime during the PJ pipeline and am not offered a recycle option, I would at that point be discharged with no choice to serve under a different MOS. Plan (A) though, will be accomplished.

If you come in the Marine Corps with an 03 contract, and you attempt Recon and get dropped, you will be assigned to a regular infantry unit.
This might be changed as the Recon Course is modified. Next fiscal year you might be at the needs of the Marine Corps no matter what.

Anybody wants to move me to the other side of the big brown fence without a scroll on my shoulder, they're going to need a fucking body bag. I've waited too long and invested too much just to get here. I have no plan B. I haven't had one for 2 years.

Anybody wants to move me to the other side of the big brown fence without a scroll on my shoulder, they're going to need a fucking body bag. I've waited too long and invested too much just to get here. I have no plan B. I haven't had one for 2 years.

This isn't a very productive train of thought, for you or for others reading it. I would normally just delete something like this but it'll be a good point for others.

Well, I would say you're 1- underprepared, 2- overconfident, and 3- (this one is the most important) out of your lane. No, they most certainly will not need a bodybag. All they need is some unsatisfactory instructor evaluations and a drop slip. This isn't Sparta, turbo, and no one is going to have to kill you to fail you. You can just fail. You can unceremoniously fail, immediately.

While some may see your point- 'I have to pass, there is no other option'- I believe I clearly stated that yes, there most certainly were. Like, for instance failure to meet standards, or injury.

This braggadocios, overly aggressive response to a simple question isn't needed, it's not on track with where the conversation is, and you obviously missed the point of some older SOF mentors trying to get you younger guys to think about contingency plans and other options- cause, you know, that's kind of an important skill in our line of work. Being able to accurately predict outcomes you may not like and plan accordingly.

Get the thread back on track. NeverSayDie, you wanna chat, PM me.

Going to SFAS in April. If I should not be selected, or injured then I have two plans. A) Re-try selection if injured. B) Put in packet for RASP. I have little to no interest in staying in the regular army at this point.

Hmm...interesting. You can be a non-select (for whatever reason) at SFAS and then put a package in for RASP? Are those regularly accepted?
At one point a large number of BUD/S drops were showing up at the SWCC school house still trying to get into SPECWAR. I don't know if that's when SWCC became it's own closed loop program with NEC; or if that's where the 2 year waiting period for a 2nd try at a NSO/NSW program came from once you dropped. Maybe just 1, maybe both. Not 100% sure.

Hmm...interesting. You can be a non-select (for whatever reason) at SFAS and then put a package in for RASP? Are those regularly accepted?
At one point a large number of BUD/S drops were showing up at the SWCC school house still trying to get into SPECWAR. I don't know if that's when SWCC became it's own closed loop program with NEC; or if that's where the 2 year waiting period for a 2nd try at a NSO/NSW program came from once you dropped. Maybe just 1, maybe both. Not 100% sure.

From what I understand, they won't ever tell you what you were a non-select for. I was looking around for this exact question..and I found this so far ( http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=477362#post477362). I think I have read also that if you are a non-select then you can try again. I think only when you quit do you have a problem...

As far as I understand, the SWCC guys got tired of people feeling like SWCC was second fiddle because a lot of dudes would quit/fail BUD/S and then go there. It wasn't solely the rates, because after I DOR'd at BUD/S, they gave me the option to go straight down to Panama City for EOD.

I have not heard of Non-Selects at SFAS being given a shot at RASP, but I know some guys who were pretty far along in the Q course when they failed/were dropped/whatever were given the option to go to RASP - which I think is acceptable. I know there are guys out there that may be in great shape, are smart, etc. but maybe aren't what SF is looking for, and will do well in RASP/75th. Just like there are guys who have failed RASP or were RFS'd from Regiment that went on to be very successful in SF. Just because you aren't right for one organization doesn't mean you can't excel in another. Now, if they were sending SFAS failures to RASP, or RASP failures to SFAS - then I think that would be a problem.

NeverSayDie - Your option B is being a medic in an airborne unit should you not make it. There are many good medics who smoked RASP and then did not make it through SOCM - and unless you were cheating or doing something else stupid, would be nothing to be ashamed of.

Make sure you re-read what you post on here before you click the 'post reply' button every time, there are active members here who will be among your cadre in the very near future - and will have a very active role in whether you achieve option A or not.

As far as I understand, the SWCC guys got tired of people feeling like SWCC was second fiddle because a lot of dudes would quit/fail BUD/S and then go there. It wasn't solely the rates, because after I DOR'd at BUD/S, they gave me the option to go straight down to Panama City for EOD.
Interesting. The only option like that I had was AIRR. EOD/Diver/SWCC/SEAL were all off the table for 2 years. All water under the bridge at this point though. Thanks for the extra clarification.
Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Funny...reading through this thread and seeing where some are at and where still want to be. Kind of neat.

My main point though is this for all of you high-speed "With my shield or upon it/ they will have to kill me/ Never quit, never die/ blah, blah, blah" types, let me ask you this:

If a pilot's plane was perfect...like your plan..would it have an ejection seat?

If a parachute was perfect....like your plan...why carry a reserve?

If people never quit....like you won't quit on your plan..then why allow divorces?

But don't worry, you guys are all perfect and bad luck, your own weaknesses, another person's shortcomings....none of that will possibly stop you, right?

Back