Whats your backup plan?

whole post

I find a few issues here, and I'm going to try and stay in my lane as much as possible because I know nothing about A&S other than what I saw on a documentary and what is discussed on this site.
-If you think that you'll walk away with no "what ifs" if you're not selected by the board, I think you're mistaken. It's just as easy to question your physical capacity as it is to question your mentality, attitude, etc during the Selection course. Everyone wonders if they trained properly before, during & after Selection. I bet a good number of those who are not selected also wonder the same thing about their attitude going into the course. I wasn't picked up for a LEO job when I still lived in PHX and I wondered constantly what I said/didn't say that kept me from continuing on in the process. Obviously two totally different jobs, but they are selection processes none the less.
-Regarding injuries. I got "hurt" (achilles tendonitis) and I decided I wanted to quit. That was my decision. People have pushed through worse pain than I experienced, I have no doubts about that. One guy who was at the school house had a broken foot because he kicked a jet ski trailer, it fell off the wooden block it was sitting on and crushed his foot. He's still there. He's LLD, but still hanging around. He didn't get dropped, he certainly didn't get medically separated from the Navy and he hasn't quit. Unless you have some near death experience, I don't really see all this being an issue. Again, I might be completely wrong because I know little to nothing about A&S and how they treat injuries. You also went from "plenty of Marines" to "one guy" in the same sentence.
-The fact that you included "bringing out my hate ape rage at another volunteer" gives me serious cause for concern. I think all SOF refer to themselves as Quiet Professionals for a reason. If you don't have enough self control to refrain from raging on another Marine during A&S you might want to seriously reconsider what you're getting yourself into.
These are just observations on my part, not shots at you by any means. I hope this helps some and makes you think.
Admin/Mods, if I'm way out of my lane, just let me know.

I know they arent shots they're observations..

Hate Ape rage was an exhagerated approach but still a thought on ALL possibilities as defined by the topic of this thread. Quite frankly I dont "rage" on anyone, if I had such mental setbacks I could certainly agree on SOF not being well suited for me.

No there were plenty of people that were injured, the one guy was simply the one med sep that I knew of. Of the five guys that left my platoon to one of the more recent selections, Two were selected - One was denied at the board - Two were medically incapable to continue and the last straight up quit. Of the two injured, one did something to his knee, I remember him being assigned to LD and he had to walk on crutches for a while and was pending minor surgery. The other's ankle was ridiculously shattered, he rolled down something and slammed it onto something else, his shit was truely fucked up. He's being seperated - case closed. USAA isn't my A&S insurance, its just my backup plan to serious injuries that I could take just attending such training let alone A&S. I live a pretty active lifestyle anyway and while I dont plan on competing in motorcross events its a pretty good idea to have for just a couple bucks a month.

Finally, I can honestly say - HONESTLY - if I get through everything, and end up having a situation much like the one out of my platoon that didn't get selected - of course it will be a bummer, but it wont be a downer. You understand? I'm not going to drink myself to sleep on the couch nor am I going to chain smoke a carton thinking about what I could have done better. Furthermore, unless I portrayed something that I'm not, what could I really wonder about? They didn't want me - for the way I am or something else, it didn't mesh and I dont mesh. I can walk away assured that I did my thing and gave them what I'm about. Nothing more nothing less.. I'd be satisfied.

I think your LEO relation to how I feel about A&S are entirely different. They're different in the sense that we're different people. While you may have been heart-set on being a LEO it sounds like you've moved on. I'll move on just the same if I don't get accepted - I'll be fine with this as well. When I was a kid I wanted to be a professional boxer, a comedian, a firefighter, and even a clerk at Food Lion because at 5 y/o I thought you could keep the money in the register. Of course it was dissapointing to hear but I moved on. I have a solid job, food on my family's table and a beautiful wife and daughter. If the SOF isn't for me I'll move on because I'll find something else - mostly because I'll have to.

"Man appoints, God dissapoints"

It's starting to sound like I need a new back-up plan, as the Navy recruiter told me there are barely any challenge contracts to be had. It may change, but I've been talking to an Army recruiter at my high school, and will be paying a visit to the CG and AF recruiting offices as well. I'm not really sold on a branch.

I'll add something here. I was thinking about this while in the shower just now.
If you want to kill booger eaters and do it up close, no matter what, you might consider the Army or Marines vice USN/USCG or USAF as your branch to pursue an SOF slot. I don't know if infantry spots are open to those who DOR from Army or Marine SOF courses, but I can GUARANTEE you it won't be the case in the Navy. USAF, probably not the case either. If you're OK with being stationed on a Haze Gray Underway after dropping from BUD/S, SWCC, or one of the SpecOp programs, so be it. But if you want to go play in one of the sand boxes regardless of how you get there, you might want to think about that in conjunction with your back up plan.
SeaJack, NSW goes through cycles when they're looking for candidates. If they're at a low point now, NSO/NSW will be recruiting on every corner in the neighborhood in 6 months. When I enlisted in May 2010, they were trying to get us to bring every swinging dick into the recruiting station and take a PST. It's cyclical just like everything else.
Just my $.02

If you are an 18X you will go through infantry training first. Ranger option contracts are available to alot of MOS's but not all in the army.

The big fear when dropping from NSW/NSO is being sent to the fleet (or only having the option to reclassify) as an "undesignated seaman/airman". Seaman undesignated is where the paint chipping and hull painting actually takes place. I know it's shitty discussing the options if you DOR, but this is a "back up plan" thread. Is there anything like that in the other branches?

Joint Communications Support Element will remain largely my top backup plan.

Go to JCU and don't look back. JCSE is a good unit, I went to college with a guy you used to work in their -3 shop (Marine Comm officer) and is now at SOCOM, but go to JCU. The Navy and AF send guys there with zero SOF background so it can be done.

Go to JCU and don't look back. JCSE is a good unit, I went to college with a guy "you" used to work in their -3 shop (Marine Comm officer) and is now at SOCOM, but go to JCU. The Navy and AF send guys there with zero SOF background so it can be done.

Maybe I'm misreading this or its the long hours.

ah, got it.

I just saw a JCU brochure on my SNCO's desk. I flipped through it, then noticed that I'm not qualified - my MOS isn't accepted. Furthermore I'm not sure I could land a TS/SCI - atleast MarSoc only requires a Secret.

I'll add something here. I was thinking about this while in the shower just now.
If you want to kill booger eaters and do it up close, no matter what, you might consider the Army or Marines vice USN/USCG or USAF as your branch to pursue an SOF slot. I don't know if infantry spots are open to those who DOR from Army or Marine SOF courses, but I can GUARANTEE you it won't be the case in the Navy. USAF, probably not the case either. If you're OK with being stationed on a Haze Gray Underway after dropping from BUD/S, SWCC, or one of the SpecOp programs, so be it. But if you want to go play in one of the sand boxes regardless of how you get there, you might want to think about that in conjunction with your back up plan.
SeaJack, NSW goes through cycles when they're looking for candidates. If they're at a low point now, NSO/NSW will be recruiting on every corner in the neighborhood in 6 months. When I enlisted in May 2010, they were trying to get us to bring every swinging dick into the recruiting station and take a PST. It's cyclical just like everything else.
Just my $.02

Yeah, I was told there would be like, 25 Navy EOD contracts for 2011, and that I probably would not get one. My heart is not set on any particular MOS/rate/AFSC/etc. I understand every job is important.

I talked to the Army recruiter and he said he might be able to get me a 68w w/Option 40, which I thought was awesome! I'm looking into Pararescue as well, I just need to get a hold of the AF recruiter.

Backup plans. Never leave home without one.

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I'm a Legal Marine by trade. I've been behind a desk for the last six years and now, after twelve months in Afghanistan, I have an itch to go out and generally wreak havoc on someone else's day. I'm no longer content with merely handling the paperwork and/or processing the ones we catch and watching the others simply "fall through the cracks." I feel like I can, and should, do more. I'm young, healthy, capable, and willing.

If all goes well (I still have yet to receive word from the MARSOC recruiter) I'll be attending A&S within the next twelve to fourteen months. Obviously, the best case scenario is attending A&S and getting selected. Worst case scenario, I never make to A&S for a wide array of bullshit reasons beyond my control. I'm prepared for both and everything in between. From my understanding, if you attend A&S and are not selected, you will receive a formal counseling explaining as to why. Knowledge is power and unfucking myself is priority number one. From a career standpoint, I'm in a unique situation (yes, I realize almost everyone perceives their situation as "unique"). In the event I cannot attend/am not selected, I will EAS and I'm no longer an active component within the Marine Corps for standard administrative reasons beyond my control. The Marine Corps is, to the best of my knowledge, the only branch with rank/time in service limitations. You must be X rank before X number of years of service. Failure to meet these requirements results in a mandatory removal from the Corps. I'm coming up on one of those hurdles. Due to carelessness in my past, I haven't done well to put myself in a position where I'll meet the requirements to continue enlisting in the Corps without a promtion. Bottom line, if I'm not promoted before the end of my contract - I'm out and not by choice. Majority of this is self inflicted, but it would certainly be less of a pain in my six if the Corps wasn't downizing. Promotions in my MOS have become insanely difficult to come-by, near impossible if you've ever been in legtimate trouble (Article 15/NJP or worse). Selection into MARSOC, however, would garuantee me an instant promotion and I'd be allowed to continue my service. It's pretty much MARSOC or bust.

If shit hits the proverbial fan, I'll EAS and ride the civilian life for a semester of college (God bless the GI bill). I'll let my hair grow out, unwind, relax, and generally enjoy being a free spirit for a while. I'll return to the military, enlisting into the Army and seek out a direct combat MOS with an aim for an 18X (18B/18C). A second chance so to speak. If in the event I'm not selected at that point, I'll opt for a conventional infantry position or find a way to better utilize my clearance and ride out a (hopefully) long and healthy career. There are other options such as private security companies that I can look into as well.

For now, I'm keeping my eyes at 25m - prepping for my first go at A&S.

All the military services have a must be X rank before X number of years enlisted force management programs. Air Force calls it High Year of Tenure and the Army calls it Retention Control Points.

BTW the Army will be downsizing soon too.

ah, got it.

I just saw a JCU brochure on my SNCO's desk. I flipped through it, then noticed that I'm not qualified - my MOS isn't accepted. Furthermore I'm not sure I could land a TS/SCI - atleast MarSoc only requires a Secret.

That's unfortunate. I worked with JCU a lot in my last operational assignment, it's a great unit. Maybe something to shoot for later on.

All the military services have a must be X rank before X number of years enlisted force management programs. Air Force calls it High Year of Tenure and the Army calls it Retention Control Points.

Bollocks. The Marine Corps calls it "High Year Tenure" as well. I'm going to have to look into this and pull the numbers for rank to time in service limitation ratios.

I just pulled Army Regulation 601-280, Army Retention Program, Rapid Action Revision[RAR] Issue Date: 15 September 2011 and it revealed some pleasing news regarding the Army's regulations on its version of "high tenure". The Army's limitations are far more lenient than what the Marine Corps has in effect. The Corps' states enlisted Marines must reach E-5/Sergeant by 8 years of active duty service. The Army states soldiers must be obtain E-5/Sergeant by 15 years of active duty service - I'll take that. Unless the Army's downsizing eliminates my ability to enlist within her ranks, my contingency plan stands untouched. That would be quite unfortunate and highly displeasing if such a thing like that were to occur though.
In the event someone else may need it, here's a link to the Army regulation: www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_280.pdfSimilar

Although I won't quit till they pull me out of training , and want nothing more than to see what I am made of on the inside. I have back up plans for my back up plans. I want to make the AF my career, if I don't make it through the pipe line for any reason I would be at the AF needs... I won't have a decision on what mos I will get , it will be assigned to me. That's a decision I have already made , and willing to do what is asked of me . If it was my choice however I would try to put in an officer packet .

ah, got it.

Don't we have someone here who was picked up for JCU recently? He'd probably be able to give you the straight scoop.

My plan B had been to go to sniper school and stay in the sniper section, but lately this seems to be my plan A. New plan B would be to finish out this enlistment as a dismount in a line company and look for an FO or Medic slot closer to home. Since I will be 41 when this enlistment is up, I will seriously consider CA at that time.
Reed

Although I won't quit till they pull me out of training , and want nothing more than to see what I am made of on the inside. I have back up plans for my back up plans. I want to make the AF my career, if I don't make it through the pipe line for any reason I would be at the AF needs... I won't have a decision on what mos I will get , it will be assigned to me. That's a decision I have already made , and willing to do what is asked of me . If it was my choice however I would try to put in an officer packet .

As for the bold, and speaking strictly from a Navy standpoint, we had options when we dropped. We were given a list of jobs based on what was available and what our ASVAB score was. I had a high ASVAB, so I had about 16 jobs to choose from. Others had 5-6. I don't know of anyone who was forced to take XYZ job when they talked to the classifier. Again, my experience from the Navy.

Back