Whats your backup plan?

If I get injured or for some reason wind up being a non-select then I'll go where I'm sent and be the best soldier I can be,( not thinking about quitting now cause I ain't gonna think about quitting then). I view it as a honor to serve in any branch of the US Army and fight along side the best and brightest of the nation. My uncle was a engineer in the Army for almost 30 years and my grandpa was a PFC in the 82nd during WWII. Neither of them served in any high speed units and I admire them both very much.

So bottom line if I don't make it through Selection or even the Q Course, I keep reading that Selection never ends, then I'll go and soldier in whatever unit I'm sent to then put in for Selection again and show up as a better soldier and man because of my time in the conventional Army.

If I get injured or for some reason wind up being a non-select then I'll go where I'm sent and be the best soldier I can be,( not thinking about quitting now cause I ain't gonna think about quitting then). I view it as a honor to serve in any branch of the US Army and fight along side the best and brightest of the nation. My uncle was a engineer in the Army for almost 30 years and my grandpa was a PFC in the 82nd during WWII. Neither of them served in any high speed units and I admire them both very much.

So bottom line if I don't make it through Selection or even the Q Course, I keep reading that Selection never ends, then I'll go and soldier in whatever unit I'm sent to then put in for Selection again and show up as a better soldier and man because of my time in the conventional Army.
I like it. Well done. Now take theory a step further, and figure out a 5 year plan. You gonna hit up some college? What are you going to do to better yourself outside of work? Do you have a specific skill you would like to work on while youre waiting? The more specific, the more thought out, the better.

...my grandpa was a PFC in the 82nd during WWII. Neither of them served in any high speed units and I admire them both very much...

Being a Paratrooper was a very high-speed job back during WWII...

Regardless they did their part and its refreshing to read that you wont call it quits because you didnt get selected.

There are plenty of fine soldiers serving throughout the military who arent in "high speed" units and there is certainly something to be learned from everyone.

Crip

I like it. Well done. Now take theory a step further, and figure out a 5 year plan. You gonna hit up some college? What are you going to do to better yourself outside of work? Do you have a specific skill you would like to work on while youre waiting? The more specific, the more thought out, the better.

Given the new program that allows Special Forces candidate's to earn a college degree while in the Q course I would focus on getting the 17 credits that allows entry into that program. Besides that I'll try to take any course I can get into that helps develop me as a soldier and leader. Is this a smart course of action?

Being a Paratrooper was a very high-speed job back during WWII...

Regardless they did their part and its refreshing to read that you wont call it quits because you didnt get selected.

There are plenty of fine soldiers serving throughout the military who arent in "high speed" units and there is certainly something to be learned from everyone.

Crip

Roger that Sir. Just to clarify he was a Gliderman in the 327th.

Roger that Sir. Just to clarify he was a Gliderman in the 327th.

I'm thinking more and more about making my backup plan my primary plan and enlisting with a option 40 contract.

First, NEVER call me Sir. I am an SF NCO and as such should be referred to as Sergeant..never Sarge though. Gliderman or not he had one of the "high speed" jobs back in his day.

Secondly, and more importantly, I like your decision. Ranger Regiment would be a fine place for you to start. You may even decide after being there that UW isnt for you... If you do decide it is though, you should have a firm grasp on operations up to the company level prior to attending SFAS/SFQC and will be more of a benefit to your ODA having said knowledge.

The most expedient route is often not the best route. Had I been younger I would have sought an Option-40 contract....

Best of luck.

Crip

Secondly, and more importantly, I like your decision. Ranger Regiment would be a fine place for you to start. You may even decide after being there that UW isnt for you... If you do decide it is you should have a firm grasp on operations up to the company level prior to attending SFAS/SFQC...

Best of luck.

Crip

Totally agree with the above statement. Regiment is the place to be a young stud, not SF, go get your kill on, then come to SF and teach others to do it for you!:eek:

Hey bro. So, while I was not S.F. or other "highspeed" personnel, I did serve in the 82nd. also and feel as if our job was considered "highspeed" also. Hell, I feel that any job in the service is highspeed as long as you put forth the effort and testicular / intestinal fortitude to excell @ that job. Be a good solider. Go to college and get an education and become a good member of society and that will be considered highspeed. Just saying...

F.M.

My backup plan is the same as my primary plan, be the best USAF Airmen I am capable of being, career field should not determine motivation for success.

I've been given this a lot of thought the last couple of months as I am about to leave for A&S.

I joined the Marines right out of high school. It's all I wanted to do with my life and I worked hard to graduate a little early so I could be done with school. I did miss out on a lot of the social aspects of high school but honestly I don't really regret it. I was nerdy and awkward and didn't have the slightest idea how to start a conversation with a girl. :) I've spent four years in the reserves as a grunt, deployed once to Iraq in that whole time. That deployment was sheer misery. It was miserable because my unit was not well led, and we did nothing but stand post while we were there. I do not want to have another experience like that. I want to go out on FOOT patrols, talk with the locals, learn about their cultureand generally improve their lives while chasing the bad guys out of town. I know that is more along the lines of what wins the kind of war we are fighting than what my unit did in Iraq. I really want to avoid being under the command of people who are incompetent and have no desire to contribute to the mission. I'm reasonably sure I will find these things in MARSOC. If I don't I won't stay. I'll do my time and never come back. At this point I'm just glad to finally be going. It took a year of weekly phone calls, along with weekly calls from my 1stsgt asking why I was calling people I shouldn't be talking to, just to get my package to the recruiters.

If I get to A&S and lose sight of the big picture and quit I know I will hate myself for a long time. It'll take time for me to recover but my current plan is to attend the police academy. I tried a semester of college over the summer. It wasn't for me, not yet at least. I know that now. If I do quit, the worst part will be having to go back to my unit and face my Marines. That's not an experience I want to have... But I'll continue to teach them everything I know and look out for their welfare.

If I'm a non-select or get injured, that's ok. I will take the time to re-evaluate, decide if this is still something I want to and then start fighting my chain of command for a chance to go again. In the meantime I'll probably still attend the police academy. I've also considered getting some NRA certifications and starting a small marksmanship school with a couple of the CMTs in our unit. I am always entertaining the idea of deploying with another unit, or attending any schools we can get slots for.

We'll see what the future holds.

Good read y'all. My back up plan is to make smart ass jokes. This is a complicates topic. I think it is important to try your best, to be the best person you can be. It is amazing what human ingenuity can do. Hard work, couple with purpose of mind, a person can do a lot. But!! one needs to be honest with their capabilities. That is probably the hardest part. People's minds will give out way before the body does. The only failure, is when you accept it as a failure. If you learn from it and move on, it is not a failure. A 5 foot 6 in. 125 pound person will never be a center for the LA Rams, regardless of how much spunk or how hard they try. Probably one of the hardest tasks in life for all of us, is to find out who we are and what we are capable of.

When in doubt given it your best shot, 150% effort at least.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/44567.Theodore_Roosevelt

First, NEVER call me Sir. I am an SF NCO and as such should be referred to as Sergeant..never Sarge though. Gliderman or not he had one of the "high speed" jobs back in his day.

Secondly, and more importantly, I like your decision. Ranger Regiment would be a fine place for you to start. You may even decide after being there that UW isnt for you... If you do decide it is though, you should have a firm grasp on operations up to the company level prior to attending SFAS/SFQC and will be more of a benefit to your ODA having said knowledge.

The most expedient route is often not the best route. Had I been younger I would have sought an Option-40 contract....

Best of luck.

Crip

My apologies, won't happen again Sergeant. If you don't mind me asking how old were you when you enlisted?

Totally agree with the above statement. Regiment is the place to be a young stud, not SF, go get your kill on, then come to SF and teach others to do it for you!:eek:

Can I still be a young stud at 26?

Sure it was not 325th? Surgical Cric took the words out of my mouth regarding highspeed jobs.

F.M.

Yes I'm sure it was the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment.

Hey bro. So, while I was not S.F. or other "highspeed" personnel, I did serve in the 82nd. also and feel as if our job was considered "highspeed" also. Hell, I feel that any job in the service is highspeed as long as you put forth the effort and testicular / intestinal fortitude to excell @ that job. Be a good solider. Go to college and get an education and become a good member of society and that will be considered highspeed. Just saying...

F.M.

No offense intended bro. Since this is a SOF mentor forum and a thread about back up plans if we don't make into whatever SOF "highspeed" unit we are going for I was using "highspeed" as a general term for a lot of different SOF units and not trying to take anything away from conventional units. I even said it would be a honor to serve in any unit in any branch of our armed forces.

My apologies, won't happen again Sergeant. If you don't mind me asking how old were you when you enlisted?

I was 32 when I enlisted, 35 when I graduated the SFQC, and am still a, moderately young, stud at 39...

Whether you can be a young stud at 26 is dependent on your physical condition (previous injuries), conditioning, strength, and drive.

I was 18 when I enlisted with an 18X contract. 21 when I graduated as an 18D. However most of the other "young studs" should have been elsewhere. And it showed through attrition.

I was 32 when I enlisted, 35 when I graduated the SFQC, and am still a, moderately young, stud at 39...

Whether you can be a young stud at 26 is dependent on your physical condition (previous injuries), conditioning, strength, and drive.

No previous injuries and in good condition, getting better every day.

Ive been reading a lot about Opt. 40 contracts and it seems there aren't many available. Does the "get the contract I want or I'm walking" mindset still apply here?

For me, I'd stay in and gather more experience. Probably try out for the BN Scouts; I see no shame in serving as an 11b or any other MOS.

Adjust fire and reengage...

To clarify: I would try again later on down the road.

It's all on circumstance for me. At A&S, if I fail to be selected on the board then I'll atleast know that I completed the training with integrity at the best of my ability. Those guys aren't there to make corn flakes, they're there to select a small group of individuals they feel will be benificial to the teams at a measurement of both physical and mental ability. They know what fits, what can be molded, and what simply does not work. I'll have no regrets walking out that door and I'll move on knowing that I don't have to wonder "what if" and that I made moves to accomplish such a goal. If another time comes later down the road where I could see it as beneficial to go for it again then I will, otherwise I'll keep on trucking and find something right for me. I've been considering JCSE as a backup, I'm very knowledgable in my MOS which plays a critical role in any communications plan.

To put it bluntly, I have a dream - but I'm not a groupie. The saddest thing isn't seeing failure but a failure to let go (do not confuse this with a quitters attitude, that shit is pathetic) - the people that excel in SOF were mean't to do SOF, particularly that role under their mental and physical capacity. If I'm deemed an outside personality that won't mesh well with the teams, well then what can I change about that? Would I want to change that about myself? If I did, wouldn't you think they'd see right through it or do you think I would be able to maintain that mindset and personality throughout my work on the teams if they didn't? Fuck that I'll happily move on with no animosity and seeing it soley as a challenging course that I've completed. If anything, it's a confidence booster - hence - they're not out there making fucking corn flakes.

I saw a statistic in this thread about training-ending injuries falling into the 1 percentage? I'd really like to see a chart that represents this because there are plenty of Marines atleast in the case of MarSOC that come back absolutely destroyed, one guy is getting medically seperated with a completely shatterd ankle. My backup plan for this - my life insurance policy. This may sound funny but USAA will authorize a life insurance policy with coverage as low as $100,000.00 - this may seem small but if you're already in the military your big idea is more than likely the SGLI. Without getting off track, the coverage of the SGLI, the funeral coverage also being military provided, and my USAA is great especially for only twenty-four dollars a month. My wife and child will be left with a good chunk of change but furthermore, the critical factor is the amneties associated with USAA's coverage. There's a special circumstance, that for ANY REASON, the military or any certified doctor, deems me with a SERIOUS injury, mandating medical seperation or not, I get $25,000.00 in my pocket. It is instantanious, like a prize on wheel of fortune, and only needs to be validated and signed by a qualified doctor and forwarded to USAA via fax. Thats it, the other factor is that if I am indeed medically seperated - I still remain qualified for my life insurance and only have to change the rate, in-which all amneties will still apply as well as the 25 grand. I'm comfortable with this injury plan.

If I voluntarily withdraw from the course or am ejected for bringing out my hate ape rage at another volunteer - there may be some challenges ahead in getting back into the course at a later date. If it is possible, I will do it after a serious evaluation of my mental/physical fortitude. I highly doubt that this will happen, but if indeed it does as the thread asks, I will try again if at all possible. Much later as stated - after some serious self-reflection.

Joint Communications Support Element will remain largely my top backup plan. Seeing as they will often serve SOF if there is to be something that I've done to get ejected or laughed out of A&S then that may/may not hinder my assignment. Regardless, if I can not get into JCSE due to constraints via monitor on my MOS or whatever the case. The All-Marine Team for boxing, Drill Instructor, Recruiter, MAIT are possibilities.

There's a lot I want to do, if I could do it all at once, I would - but top priority is A&S, if I am to be accepted into the SOC then all else wouldn't even shed a sliver of value in comparison - for me that is. I have backups upon backups upon backups. Its not a lack of confidence but is just my nature, for those of you who have family/people/in this forums case: team members that depend on you - you above all else can surely understand this mindset.

H/A

Back