Whats your backup plan?

Speaking from personal experience: achilles tendonitis never entered my mind until I was sitting inside the boat barn telling Doc where it hurt.

After playing about 500 games of basketball, I never expected to come down from a rebound during training for the Battalion's team and land on some bastards foot, blowing out my ankle to the tune of 3 operations to get it back to sort of not quite normal condition.
A mate of mine didn't mean to do his shoulder getting hit in an innocuous tackle playing footy a week before his one chance to do SASR selection.
Another mate didn't mean for his wife to miscarry the night before he was due to head off on the same selection.
Another three mates went all the way through selection only to be told at the end that they weren't quite what the Regiment was looking for, maybe come back again next year.
Shit happens.

Whew, good thing I didn't read these types of post before I took my recon screen.

But, I was strong and DUMB, back then.

Was on crutches after the screening and if Ranger School was 2 days longer, my cellulitis/lymphangitis would have done me in. Marines rarely get a second shot at special schools.

Folks, listen to those who've trod the path: need guts to pass, but use your head to succeed.

I like this thread. Murphy is always an important factor to consider. A math test during the 18D course (dosage and drip rate calculation with no calculators allowed) was what almost ended things for me. Saw a lot of guys fade away during my time with JFKSWCS, and by no means were the majority of them guys that quit. For 18 series guys you're looking at a year in the course at least. During that time life tends to happen, and the circumstances causing you to leave early aren't always under your control.

I was shot in OSUT, got food poisoning my first day of airborne, and fell off the fast rope tower the day before graduation at RIP. Luckily I was fortunate with recycles and second chances, but it could have just as easily went the other way.

I hate to think of what could have been, but the truth is that at multiple times I was staring failure right in the eyes.

To this day I still have unfinished business in the Army, things that I want to accomplish but haven't yet.

I was shot in OSUT, got food poisoning my first day of airborne, and fell off the fast rope tower the day before graduation at RIP. Luckily I was fortunate with recycles and second chances, but it could have just as easily went the other way.

I hate to think of what could have been, but the truth is that at multiple times I was staring failure right in the eyes.

To this day I still have unfinished business in the Army, things that I want to accomplish but haven't yet.

I'd like to hear the OSUT story if you don't mind.

I am currently Active Duty USAF. My retraining window opens next month for the undermanned careerfields so I'm wanting to go for Pararescue. If that fails, I will try again a later date. If I sustain an injury and deemed that I can't return, but can try out for another Battlefield Airman career, I'll pursue TACP. If I'm denied that and can still stay in the Air Force I will try to get a degree and go officer side. If not, I'll try and go to the Army as 11B or 13F and see where I can go from there. If HSLD stuff isn't for me then I'll get out of the Military and open up a crossfit-esque facility or join a great friend on mine who runs one down in Texas. Or if I'm still itching for some action, I'll try some sort of law enforcement.

Just happened to find this post while milling through the site. Awesome posts on here, giving motivation to me and I'm sure to everyone else who reads, so I commend you all on that. With that said, this is an issue I struggle with personally. Any reasonable and intelligent person stops and asks "what if". Each person handles this question differently of course but I always find solace in the knowledge that our country was built on the "second chance". Somewhere, someway, there's a path to success. May not be the path you planned on, but with perseverance you'll find it. Take it from me. All my life I knew I wanted to go Navy. Applied to the Naval Academy, grabbed a nomination, swore I got in but was denied and now I'm on my B plan (Learned Navy wasn't for me through ROTC at NC State) and I'm glad I didn't go.

With that being said, the guys on here reading up on SF are already taking a step in the right direction. Personally I've learned more on this site than any other and it's continuing to help me hash out my career plans.

Apologies if hijacking the thread.

Happy Holidays Everyone

You want a backup plan? How's this:

French FL, correction officer, Marine Recon, then lateraled to AFSOC (unsure if PJ or CCT). Last I heard was that he went to a 3 lettered agency.

Can you say journeyman? Tough dude.

Here was my backup plan-

I was a 22 years old E-5, already married with a 2 year old daughter. My wife stayed at home because we didn't stand to make much anyway while paying for full time childcare- on top of that, if you've ever been to Fayetteville, you would want to send your child to hang out with the locals all day either. I was at the end of a 4 year enlistment and wasn't going to subject myself or my family to another 4 years in the 82nd. I got back from Iraq with 3 months left on my contract, went to selection while my unit was on block leave (about 20 days after I got off the plane) and went to the reenlistment office and did a BEARS reenlistment for 18B the day after I got back from Camp Mackall.

My backup plan was to get selected.

Funny...reading through this thread and seeing where some are at and where still want to be. Kind of neat.

My main point though is this for all of you high-speed "With my shield or upon it/ they will have to kill me/ Never quit, never die/ blah, blah, blah" types, let me ask you this:

If a pilot's plane was perfect...like your plan..would it have an ejection seat?

If a parachute was perfect....like your plan...why carry a reserve?

If people never quit....like you won't quit on your plan..then why allow divorces?

But don't worry, you guys are all perfect and bad luck, your own weaknesses, another person's shortcomings....none of that will possibly stop you, right?
I'm not going to lie: thinking of a backup plan does makes me feel like I'm already giving up. But reading through this thread has made me realize that even the best plans fail and that having a backup plan doesn't mean giving up; it means that you're prepared for the fact that shit happens in life. Just my .02

Interesting topic, I think a lot of guys don't consider it because it sets failure in their mind. But failing to plan, is planning to fail. So my backup plan for whatever reason ITC goes south for me: 1st Force Indoc(granted I'm on the west coast, I'm not sure 2nd Force does this), lat move to Recon, or continue as a sniper in another battalion.

Goon's original name for this site was Shit Magnet.....
hitthetarget.gif

Well I am in my back up plan already. Tried out was told I wasn't what they were looking for, went back to being a Drill SGT. Had a short pity party on my layover back, got ridiculed for not making it, made DS of the Cycle that class I missed R&I for, PCSed to Carson, and now in the process of putting my CI packet together. If I don't get selected to do that then I am going to try and becom a dog handler (31K) or do the mounted color guard and get paid by the army to ride horses lol.

Back