Your 2024 Presidential Election Thread

Where I went to Law School to be a "Professor of Practice" required you to many many years of "practice" in the capacity. But it also required you to teach classes and you know, do professor shit.

Where I went to undergrad, the VMI, they have a "Leader in Residence" I can tell you that the person selected got a check and was definitely not "in residence" at VMI for more than 48 hours at a time.

Okay, that makes sense. I guess I read it as an attempt to give Biden's claim some small amount of credence. Already knowing the backstory, it’s more black and white to me. He simply lied about it.
You got it, and no worries. Just pointing out how he used his bio to make false claims, which can be easy for the casual public to overlook, say, having only heard he was a UPenn professor between his terms as VP and President.

You got it, and no worries. Just pointing out how he used his bio to make false claims, which can be easy for the casual public to overlook, say, having only heard he was a UPenn professor between his terms as VP and President.

On top of him being a truck driver.

Dude's had more jobs than a Vietnam SEAL poser down at the local VFW.

On top of him being a truck driver.

Dude's had more jobs than a Vietnam SEAL poser down at the local VFW.
I was talking with my wife about this phenomenon a few days ago--to some degree, I don't think he's lying. I think he probably thinks he's telling the truth. It's a function of mental capacity.

Many politicians have said many false things over the years. Blumenthal and Vietnam. Hilary Clinton and "landing under sniper fire" in Bosnia. Former VA Secretary McDonald about being in 5th Group. President Biden and... well, just about every vignette he has shared recently seems to be false.

At any rate, in the moment sometimes people inadvertently say things that are not true, and sometimes it's unintentional. That doesn't excuse the behavior, it's just something that happens.

A few years ago, I had a similar experience. I was in our front yard on post watching the Christmas parade go by. The parade consists mainly of West Point cadets, active duty, and vets. Someone on a float that went past saw the 160th sticker on the back of my Jeep, pointed at it and then at me, and shouted "What battalion?" "THIRD!!" I shouted back.

Now here's the thing: I was never in 3/160. I was in 2/160. I never had any desire to be in 3rd Batt, and now that I think about it, I don't think I was in 3rd Battalion of anything the entire 27+ years I was in the Army. 3/160 was never the "cool guy" battalion in the 160th, that was 1st Battalion. If anything, at the time I was in it I would say 2nd was the cooler battalion, because of a special mission 2nd Batt had that 3rd Batt didn't. So yeah, I don't know why I told some rando--with a great deal of pride and confidence--that I was in a unit I was never in.

Another interesting component of this story was that I didn't even realize I did it until the parade passed and my wife asked me "Why did you tell that guy you were in 3/160?" (she was Army and SOF as well, and knew the difference). She didn't correct me at the time both because she knew it would have embarrassed me enormously "No he wasn't!! HE WAS IN SECOND BATTALION!! STOP LYING!!" ;) but also because she thought it might have been some OPSEC thing and I didn't want people to know what unit I was really in.

Good lookin' out, thanks honey.

But no, it was inadvertent. And inconsequential. As soon as she told me what I said, I was like, "Oh yeah, I totally did just do that." I don't know why, just a temporary twist in the brain. And I think that is what happens to some of these politicians.

Again, that doesn't excuse the behavior, and if it happens frequently enough (looking at you, Mr. President), maybe it's time to turn over the burden of leadership to someone whose brain still works the way it is supposed to.

@Marauder06 I understand what you're saying and although I don't remember it, its probably happened to me as well. But I respectfully disagree. I think Biden is a liar. Its happened too many times without consequence. If you look back, he has been dishonest his entire life. He lied and plagiarised his way to the presidency. He lied about his education and his IQ in the very beginning. He's lied about his past stances on civil rights. He's lied about his sons military service. The list is ridiculous. I think he's a poser.

@Marauder06 I understand what you're saying and although I don't remember it, its probably happened to me as well. But I respectfully disagree. I think Biden is a liar. Its happened too many times without consequence. If you look back, he has been dishonest his entire life. He lied and plagiarised his way to the presidency. He lied about his education and his IQ in the very beginning.
No argument from me, brother. I think he is completely corrupt. And in his advanced age I imagine it's harder for him to keep his lies straight. I've been suspicious since his "Corn Pop" days, and should have been much sooner.

No argument from me, brother. I think he is completely corrupt. And in his advanced age I imagine it's harder for him to keep his lies straight. I've been suspicious since his "Corn Pop" days, and should have been much sooner.
I am skeptical about the 2020 election. I think there was fraud, but I won't say Biden didn't win. I think its possible that enough people hate Trump, or were sick of the drama the media and Pelosi purposely created, for Biden to receive enough support to win. Hopefully, people have enough buyer's remorse now.

I am skeptical about the 2020 election. I think there was fraud, but I won't say Biden didn't win. I think its possible that enough people hate Trump, or were sick of the drama the media and Pelosi purposely created, for Biden to receive enough support to win. Hopefully, people have enough buyer's remorse now.
Almost every major American institution with a bearing on the election, with the possible exception of the Supreme Court, was in the bag for the Democrat party. The military. The media. The intelligence community. Law enforcement agencies. The list goes on and on.

I'm personally deeply suspicious that there was indeed widespread voter fraud in the last presidential election. We know that it happened on a small level. Was it big enough to affect the election? I don't know, but I still find it weird that a Democrat candidate that no one liked/likes and that barely campaigned (because... I mean... have you heard the guy talk??) not only won handily but also got more votes than President Obama.

Suspicious Mr Johnson GIF by ABC Network

not only won handily but also got more votes than President Obama.
This is the one that I don't buy. I was @ university when Obama ran for POTUS. I couldn't understand why EVERYBODY was in love with this guy, but they were ( I vote on policy, not skin color or personality and Obama had 0 policy ) Obama was so popular and he no doubt won his election. I do not buy this for a second.

As we've discussed at great length in the poser thread, these people do it for a variety of reasons. Regardless, I think if you tell a lie often enough it becomes the "truth." You can't keep the lies straight so you have these inconsistencies where the general narrative remains the same, but not the details. Biden, like many, has lied or embellished enough over the years where it is second nature to him. If he needs an ego boost or whatever, he's now (insert false accolade here).

The real problem is you have someone in a position of power and authority actively lying and believing their own lies. What stops them from doing the same WRT foreign policy or the nation's economics or a thousand other things with grave consequences?

Politicians lie and that wouldn't bother me except some of them create this alternate universe where they tell themselves anything...and believe it.

I was talking with my wife about this phenomenon a few days ago--to some degree, I don't think he's lying. I think he probably thinks he's telling the truth. It's a function of mental capacity.

Many politicians have said many false things over the years. Blumenthal and Vietnam. Hilary Clinton and "landing under sniper fire" in Bosnia. Former VA Secretary McDonald about being in 5th Group. President Biden and... well, just about every vignette he has shared recently seems to be false.

At any rate, in the moment sometimes people inadvertently say things that are not true, and sometimes it's unintentional. That doesn't excuse the behavior, it's just something that happens.

A few years ago, I had a similar experience. I was in our front yard on post watching the Christmas parade go by. The parade consists mainly of West Point cadets, active duty, and vets. Someone on a float that went past saw the 160th sticker on the back of my Jeep, pointed at it and then at me, and shouted "What battalion?" "THIRD!!" I shouted back.

Now here's the thing: I was never in 3/160. I was in 2/160. I never had any desire to be in 3rd Batt, and now that I think about it, I don't think I was in 3rd Battalion of anything the entire 27+ years I was in the Army. 3/160 was never the "cool guy" battalion in the 160th, that was 1st Battalion. If anything, at the time I was in it I would say 2nd was the cooler battalion, because of a special mission 2nd Batt had that 3rd Batt didn't. So yeah, I don't know why I told some rando--with a great deal of pride and confidence--that I was in a unit I was never in.

Another interesting component of this story was that I didn't even realize I did it until the parade passed and my wife asked me "Why did you tell that guy you were in 3/160?" (she was Army and SOF as well, and knew the difference). She didn't correct me at the time both because she knew it would have embarrassed me enormously "No he wasn't!! HE WAS IN SECOND BATTALION!! STOP LYING!!" ;) but also because she thought it might have been some OPSEC thing and I didn't want people to know what unit I was really in.

Good lookin' out, thanks honey.

But no, it was inadvertent. And inconsequential. As soon as she told me what I said, I was like, "Oh yeah, I totally did just do that." I don't know why, just a temporary twist in the brain. And I think that is what happens to some of these politicians.

Again, that doesn't excuse the behavior, and if it happens frequently enough (looking at you, Mr. President), maybe it's time to turn over the burden of leadership to someone whose brain still works the way it is supposed to.

@Marauder06 I understand what you're saying and although I don't remember it, its probably happened to me as well. But I respectfully disagree. I think Biden is a liar. Its happened too many times without consequence. If you look back, he has been dishonest his entire life. He lied and plagiarised his way to the presidency. He lied about his education and his IQ in the very beginning. He's lied about his past stances on civil rights. He's lied about his sons military service. The list is ridiculous. I think he's a poser.

I do not think it's binary; I think it's both. Biden has an almost-50 year old record of lying; I do not think he was cognitively impaired in the 1970s. But now I absolutely think it's the case, plus lying.

@Marauder06 , I understand your analogy re: 3/160. I was not a SARC; therefore, I was not a recon corpsman. I was, however, a corpsman with recon. I try to be very specific because I don't want "StOlEn VaLoR!" charges levied against me. Occasionally, though, I misspeak and it comes out wrong.

I do not think it's binary; I think it's both. Biden has an almost-50 year old record of lying; I do not think he was cognitively impaired in the 1970s. But now I absolutely think it's the case, plus lying.

@Marauder06 , I understand your analogy re: 3/160. I was not a SARC; therefore, I was not a recon corpsman. I was, however, a corpsman with recon. I try to be very specific because I don't want "StOlEn VaLoR!" charges levied against me. Occasionally, though, I misspeak and it comes out wrong.
A couple of times over the years I've had to provide some clarification when my sister has told people she's introducing me to that I am/was Special Forces.

Dad was Special Forces. I was in a Special Forces unit. That's nuance that's lost on a lot of people, but it's an important distinction.

Aside from my stupid internet meme attempting point out the hypocrisy, everytime he gaffes, it just reminds me of the current status of our government. We have several party leaders on both sides who can't put a sentence together, freezing in the middle of press conferences, and having to be reminded of how they should vote on issues.

Back