Adult Beverage Mega Thread: Scotch/Whiskey/Rum/Vodka/Etc

I lived beside Bernheim forest in Kentucky. You could throw a rock and hit the Beam distillery. I liked it when Booker Noe would get a hair across his ass and come up with something new. So most any premium beam product. I am slowly working on a bottle of 1792 I bought the other day. I should have stuck with the Woodford reserve. The 1792 is not all that smooth.

I've really become a fan of Old Fashions. I know how to make a strict one (bourbon, bitters and simple syrup) but tonight I jazzed it up a bit with Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry bitters I found on Amazon and these crazy amazing italian cherries. Doubled the recipe and this thing is SO good.

A toast to you all!

@Ooh-Rah given your love for Wisconsin, may I recommend you try it our way?

One brown sugar cube (much better than simple syrup)
Two marachino(sp?) Cherries
One orange slice
Four shakes of bitters
Splash of soda water

Muddle all together

Add ice

Add your liquor (it's Korbel brandy here)

Top with soda water/Sprite depending on on sour/sweet

I worked in a now famous Madison bar where we made over 200 old fashioned in a shift. Place wasn't that big back then either. It's become the standard for places that don't use a mix pre-made by them.

@Ooh-Rah given your love for Wisconsin, may I recommend you try it our way?

One brown sugar cube (much better than simple syrup)
Two marachino(sp?) Cherries
One orange slice
Four shakes of bitters
Splash of soda water

Muddle all together

Add ice

Add your liquor (it's Korbel brandy here)

Top with soda water/Sprite depending on on sour/sweet

I worked in a now famous Madison bar where we made over 200 old fashioned in a shift. Place wasn't that big back then either. It's become the standard for places that don't use a mix pre-made by them.

I was just talking with a coworker about manhattans, old fashioned, and all things whiskey. I'm gonna have to try this tonight.

I've really become a fan of Old Fashions. I know how to make a strict one (bourbon, bitters and simple syrup) but tonight I jazzed it up a bit with Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry bitters I found on Amazon and these crazy amazing italian cherries. Doubled the recipe and this thing is SO good.

A toast to you all!
Every old fashioned I've ever had has an orange peel in it...why do you hate Orange Peels?

I don't 'hate' them....truthfully I like the flavor of Angostura Orange bitter more than an orange peel.
There was a whiskey bar I was at years ago that talked about how you had to massage the orange peel before mixing it. So when I make them I do that to get the juice to pop in the capillaries.

@Kaldak, that version is damn good; thanks for recommending it.
I have a recipe somewhere for a brown sugar simple syrup I used for rum based drinks; it'd be great in your old fashion.

I don't 'hate' them....truthfully I like the flavor of Angostura Orange bitter more than an orange peel.

I'm the same way. There is a company based out of Denver(I think) called StrongWater that does a bunch of different style bitters and syrups. I used their Riza bitters (orange licorice) to approximate a Sazerac when I don't have absinthe or peychaud's bitters.

There was a whiskey bar I was at years ago that talked about how you had to massage the orange peel before mixing it. So when I make them I do that to get the juice to pop in the capillaries.

When I make drinks at home, I'll crosshatch the back of the orange peel. Gets even more of that essence released from the rind.

Back