Apple CEO resists order to unlock iPhone of San Bernardino killers

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
WASHINGTON — Apple Inc. CEO Tim Cook says his company will fight a federal magistrate's order to hack its users in connection with the investigation of the San Bernardino shootings, asserting that would undermine encryption by creating a backdoor that could potentially be used on other future devices.

Apple to fight order to help FBI unlock shooter's iPhone

What do you guys think about this? Here are my thoughts:

1) It pains me to learn that FBI/NIS do not have the ability to hack an f'ing iPhone

2) While admittedly an Apple user for all my electronic toys, I've always found Tim Cook to be a pompous douche-nozzle in any interview I've ever seen him in. His most recent w/60 Minutes being the most up-to-date evidence.

3) Cook's point seems to be, 'we'd have to create a program to hack that particular phone, and then once that happens, the cat is out, and anyone will be able to hack an iPhone if they find one in the street'. I don't think it will be quite that easy, but Apple has always maintained that they do not currently have the ability to unlock a locked phone and password protected phone.

In the end I think Apple should have to comply, and I await those of you who will come in and give me the 'taking away our freedoms and privacy' argument. Pandora's box has long been opened on this topic -

Personal opinion -
Referencing my first point above, how the F can we not have the ability to do this without Apple's assistance? Worse, I am forced to wonder if given the opportunity, China could get it done.

Last edited:
I don't think Apple should be forced to unlock one of its products. It's not their responsibility to do so. They are suppose to make great and secure products. If the government wants it open, they should open it.
I agree that it's pretty sad the FBI can't get an IPhone open themselves.

What if the phone has already been hacked and the data recovered, and they are putting this out there as misinformation. Cheap attempt to make those they wish to believe iphones are the most secure phones in the world and flock to them in security <--- Data then becomes central to end users phone and amount of data on said phones could be size-able. Nice publicity for Apple as the common joe thinks this is a great investment for a few hundred bucks and big bad gov cant see anything they do on the phone. Seems like a cheap win win if the first line is accurate.

While I agree with Apple's stance, trusting a gazillion dollar corporation built upon slave labor in China to do the right thing is lunacy. Telecom companies denied their involvement with the FBI's and later the NSA's "data collection" so I'm going to believe Tim Cook? Cisco and Dell worked with the USG to build back doors into their products, but Apple's incorruptible? I'm too cynical to believe in a company like Apple doing the right thing.

What if the phone has already been hacked and the data recovered, and they are putting this out there as misinformation. Cheap attempt to make those they wish to believe iphones are the most secure phones in the world and flock to them in security <--- Data then becomes central to end users phone and amount of data on said phones could be size-able. Nice publicity for Apple as the common joe thinks this is a great investment for a few hundred bucks and big bad gov cant see anything they do on the phone. Seems like a cheap win win if the first line is accurate.
It would be nice if this were true, but I am becoming way too jaded to believe we are capable of this much creativity anymore.

While I agree with Apple's stance, trusting a gazillion dollar corporation built upon slave labor in China to do the right thing is lunacy. Telecom companies denied their involvement with the FBI's and later the NSA's "data collection" so I'm going to believe Tim Cook? Cisco and Dell worked with the USG to build back doors into their products, but Apple's incorruptible? I'm too cynical to believe in a company like Apple doing the right thing.

What better way to lull terrorists into a false sense of security than an international news story about how Apple is standing up to the FBI... even when it's a clear cut case of terrorism?

So the gub'ment take take your land (imminent domain) but not your data?

There's probably a Russian kid and a few Chinese kids that could help them out if they need. Maybe the FBI should give one of them a call.

The Government has been caught in the past buying back doors. The FBI may not have a tool to gain access, but I am easily betting on the fact that another agency doesn't already have this capability. I would not be shocked if during the development phases of OS the Government approached Apple (or vice versa) and said here is what we will pay you for a back door channel in.

Last edited:
Which law prevents them?

I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to conduct activities against American Citizens. I'm not sure though. I know that when I did stuff with the I had to sign waiver to be collected on. That was just for training, so idk.

Just like if you are doing any opposition stuff with the some of the other agencies you have to consent to their surveillance, as that is technically done without a warrant. Again I don't know what the law says.

I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to conduct activities against American Citizens. I'm not sure though. I know that when I did stuff with the I had to sign waiver to be collected on. That was just for training, so idk.

Just like if you are doing any opposition stuff with the some of the other agencies you have to consent to their surveillance, as that is technically done without a warrant. Again I don't know what the law says.
I just assumed they could go to the FISA (?) court and get a warrent/authorization allowing any agency to assist.
Guess I'll have to ping the resident JAG when I get back next month.

The NSA could unlock it in seconds. They just can't.

Man do I want you to be right on this. It is inconceivable to me that at least one of the 'alphabet soup' groups out there cannot access these stupid phones with little to no effort.

OK. So if this were true, you need to edit it and get it out of the internet now before Abu Hamza finds it on a Google search. LOL!

Back