Apple CEO resists order to unlock iPhone of San Bernardino killers

To me, this is rather difficult. They are Muslim, and I hate Muslims like I hate skin cancer, so I can't exaggerate how happy I am to see that they were shot dead like the fucking pigs they are in the middle of the highway.

That being said, there is the whole privacy issue that is involved. If this was a work phone, then I could understand if their employer demanded that they have access to the phone's password, because it's theirs; never mind it's so that the FBI/CIA/Alphabet Soup can have a look, it's a work phone and it's within the employer's rights to say "yay" or "nay." If the proper agencies had the right subpoenas to facilitate hacking the phone, then hell yes run Apple over the coals with regards to hacking into that work phone.

However, if the employer that owned the phone said "no," then I'd see the agency(ies) involved seeking a subpoena to retrieve the information. After all, it's not self-incrimination if you're fucking dead.

Strictly from the privacy aspect, I applaud Apple's stance wholeheartedly. That being said, the suspects are dead, so there's no Fifth Amendment violation in play here that I know of, in addition to the fact that the employers have every right to access the phone that their employEE had access to (even if/especially if they are cooperating with the Feds). Top that off with the fact that the deceased were OBVIOUSLY guilty, getting access to the phone should only be a formality. However, I do not believe that the government wouldn't abuse that kind of access and power once Apple gave it to them, even if it was for the greater good this one time.

I'ma go with, "Criminal Investigation" for $1000.
Privacy is gone now. Non-issue. They are not "innocent" Americans minding their own bees wax.

My resident FISA Attorney says it's a non-issue.
She thinks Apple is playing this up to ease Customer Base fears, and San Bernardino (?) County (as the owners of the phone) could ask Apple to unlock the phone, but they don't want to set precedent.
Likewise Apple could quietly do it, but is afraid their customer base would be pissed.
FISA Court could order it, and Apple or a government agency could make it happen, but the feds don't want to expose FISA procedures.
Theater for the unwashed masses is her belief.

Making a path in can't be that difficult, you could run through the front door and get the phone to work.

welcome-to-the-shitshow-t-shirt.jpg

Forget the Terrorism angle on this case......

No FISA needed in this case, this is not an intel case.....this started as a criminal case and criminal search warrants for the phone is what the issue is. Apple does not want to comply with a legal search warrant...they need to be spanked. We can say, who cares the perps are dead, but we still need to see if there are any other accomplices....just like we would in any serious offense...murder, bank robbery...etc.

If Apple does not comply and gets away with it....this will cause huge ripples...not just with the feds, with every State and Local law enforcement. Think about what evidence is recovered from search warrants....evidence in rapes, child abductions, kidnappings, murder...etc.

"Hey, sorry your (insert family member here) was (insert crime here), but we are unable to obtain records from (insert company) to help us identify or locate the suspect."

I know technology is changing....but we still need to have companies comply with court orders (SW, Subpoenas)...they know that, that's why companies have legal compliance sections in their companies. I don't want apple to win this argument...the ramifications will be too high.

This has become nothing more than kabuki theater between Apple, the Feds, and the County.

Makes one wish that Apple headquarters would have every sewage main rupture, in conjunction with an electrical malfunction and simultaneous earthquake. Or sinkhole, I'm not picky.

I do hope that Apple had nothing to do with the unlocking....I would love to see Apple ask them how the broke into it...."go pound sand Apple"

At the time, Apple said it did not know how to gain access, and said it hoped that the government would share with them any vulnerabilities of the iPhone that might come to light.

My guess is now that they (FBI Forensics) have the means to do so, that ain't likely to happen anytime soon. Oh well, cry me a river.

Awesome... :wall:

FBI purchased 'tool' to unlock San Bernardino shooter's iPhone

COLUMBUS, Ohio, April 7 (UPI) -- FBI Director James Comey said the agency purchased "a tool" from a private party to access data on the iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino, Calif., shooters.

"I can imagine a world, maybe, where a local police department, in a case they can't otherwise solve, can send us a device, with the understanding that we're never going to testify, we're never going to tell you how we opened it, so you're never going to be able to use what's on the phone as evidence, but it might be a lead to something that would be useful," he said.

Back