Army Extends Basic Training

• Thread starter Boondocksaint375
  • Start date
Personally I think they need to make every Infantryman attend Pre Ranger or Ranger school, straight after basic and AIT. If they make it through all of that then they can attend Airborne

Our Basic (Basic Military Qualification) is now 13 weeks and then all Army combat arms and direct support trades have to complete the Soldier Qualification (SQ) course 8 weeks for Infantry and 10 weeks for support trades. Then they go on to complete their Basic Military Occupational Training. The infantry go through only 4 weeks of the SQ because they go through more extensive training on their occupation training, approx. 17 weeks.

There is a rumour that it is intended that all recruits, whether Army, Air Force or Navy will have to go through the SQ. I totally agree with this as there are occupations that are "Tri-Service", which they could wear the uniform from any element and be employed in jobs in all elements. Which brings it down to the fact that we are all Soldiers first and foremost.

Infantry Soldier
Basic Military Qualification

The first stage of training for everyone is the 13-week Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) course at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. This training provides the basic core skills and knowledge common to all trades. It is also physically demanding. A primary goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits attain the CF physical fitness standard. BMQ covers the following topics:

Policies and regulations of the Canadian Forces;

CF drill, dress and deportment (the “three D’s”);

Basic safety;

First aid;

Personal survival in nuclear, biological and chemical conditions;

Handling and firing personal weapons;

Cross-country navigation; and

Personal survival in field conditions.

Soldier Qualification

On successful completion of BMQ, Infantry Soldiers go to a Military Training Centre for the 4-week Soldier Qualification (SQ) course, which covers the following topics:

Army physical fitness;

dismounted offensive and defensive operations;

reconnaissance patrolling;

advanced weapons-handling (working with grenades, machine-guns and anti-tank weapons); and

individual field-craft.

Basic Military Occupational Training

Basic Military Occupational (MOC) Training for Infantry Soldiers is conducted by their regiment. It takes about 17 weeks, and takes place at one of the following Military Training Centres:

The Royal Canadian Regiment: Meaford, Ontario;

Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry: Wainwright, Alberta; and

The Royal 22e Régiment: Valcartier, Quebec. Basic MOC training covers the following material:

Use and care of personal and section-level weapons, including rifles, machine guns and anti-tank weapons;

Field-craft, including personal hygiene and meal preparation, camouflage, sentry duties, signalling, selecting firing positions, tactical movements and lines of advance;

Construction of field defences, such as trenches and roadblocks, and laying and marking of minefields;

Navigation by day and by night;

Patrolling operations; and

Infantry section and platoon tactics, including offensive, defensive and transitional operations.

Signal Operator
Soldier Qualification

On successful completion of BMQ, Signal Operators go to a Military Training Centre for the 10-week Soldier Qualification (SQ) course, which covers the following topics:

Army physical fitness;

dismounted offensive and defensive operations;

reconnaissance patrolling;

advanced weapons-handling (working with grenades, machine-guns and anti tank weapons); and

individual field-craft.

LOL, I found some videos for your amusement. ;) This is the rigors of the Canadian Forces Basic Training.

Basic Up is a reality series that follows five young people from the recruiting office through the rigours of basic training and beyond. For the very first time, viewers can share the experiences, the goals and aspirations, the triumphs and defeats!
[YOUTUBE]d0XPc1opjuM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]mRurx8oDbRQ[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a Jackson alum from '93. I didn't see what all the pre-Basic hub bub was about. It was cake yet some people couldn't deal with it.

When I went through in 1987, I found it to be challenging, up to a point. The biggest challenge by far was dealing with all the knuckleheads that surrounded me. Fortunately, most of them were in other platoons.

We had good Drills, all combat arms and pretty sharp. One of them was on the ground at Desert One, and since our senior platoon Drill Sgt. gave a barely perceptible head nod, I had no reason to doubt it.

I don't think somebody would BS a bunch of recruits about something like that, especially in front of his senior colleague. And he didn't say it with braggadiccio. It was almost like he told us about it with resignation, to make a point.

I should add, he wasn't part of the raiding force, he was there pulling security for the first phase of the operation only.

When I went through in 1987, I found it to be challenging, up to a point. The biggest challenge by far was dealing with all the knuckleheads that surrounded me. Fortunately, most of them were in other platoons.

I went through Jackson Jan to April of 06 (which is almost 40 years after my dad went through hehe), and dealing with the knuckleheads was the hardest part.

I remember one incident in Victory Forge, we had two guys playing water tag with scalding hot water, and one guy was recycled with severe burns on his foot.

I remember one incident in Victory Forge, we had two guys playing water tag with scalding hot water, and one guy was recycled with severe burns on his foot.

I watched a kid shoot a blank off in his mouth. It was sweet.

Whats wrong with Ft Jackson, That was my First Basic D-2-1/83 and it sucked. no offence but it was harder than My fun stay at Harmmony Church in 86!

Colder than I thought it would be, too. I'm thinking, South Carolina, should be pretty balmy even in December/January/February.

Won't say it was as cold as Chicago, but it got pretty nippy out there on the ranges. It was their worst winter in almost 20 years. And the snow that falls down south isn't really snow, although it looks like it as it's coming down. It's like some rare strain of sleet that freezes upon contact with everything it touches and stays that way until it thaws out.

Now I know why you guys down there have trouble driving in that stuff. It would be a challenge even for me, and I grew up around weather like that.

Ok your story wins hehe.

What happened to that hoo ahh who did that?

He blew off that dangly thing in the back of his throat and supposedly after treatment he was going to get some BS separation because he was still in initial entry.

As for the vid msteen1 posted... fuck that! it's fucking BS! We've gone over it before I know but it pisses me off!
The terrorists aren't getting softer and gentler on their basic training recruits!

Wake the fuck up you PC assholes!

Back