Army Extends Basic Training

• Thread starter Boondocksaint375
  • Start date
I try to not get too caught up in the whole discussion of whether BCT has gone "soft".

I'm sure when I went through, there were guys who went through 20 years earlier thinking it had gone soft, and guys who had gone in 20 years before them who thought the training in '67 was soft.

Let's face it, every generation thinks the succeeding generation has it a lot easier than they had it. It gets to be a circular argument.

Colder than I thought it would be, too. I'm thinking, South Carolina, should be pretty balmy even in December/January/February.

Won't say it was as cold as Chicago, but it got pretty nippy out there on the ranges. It was their worst winter in almost 20 years. And the snow that falls down south isn't really snow, although it looks like it as it's coming down. It's like some rare strain of sleet that freezes upon contact with everything it touches and stays that way until it thaws out.

Now I know why you guys down there have trouble driving in that stuff. It would be a challenge even for me, and I grew up around weather like that.

Mid January to March 1983 was my timeframe. Tank Hill.

We had an ice storm - two days confined to barracks because the snow was half an inch thick on everything outside! Old WWII barracks, and the trips from the barracks to the mess hall and back were comical...

LL

Brings back memories, don't it?

When I saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time, I thought they might have filmed the first half of the movie in my old barracks. Those Tank Hill structures were exactly what I thought an Army barracks should look like, and looks like the same contractor got the job up the road at Parris Island.

BTW, the folks running the mess hall at the end of the block for my company were great. Some of the best food I ever ate in the Army, and they budgeted so well we even had Sara Lee for dessert just about every evening.

Went to the female company for a detail one afternoon and we stayed for lunch and couldn't believe the crap they were being fed. It was like night and day.

Brings back memories, don't it?

When I saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time, I thought they might have filmed the first half of the movie in my old barracks. Those Tank Hill structures were exactly what I thought an Army barracks should look like, and looks like the same contractor got the job up the road at Parris Island.

BTW, the folks running the mess hall at the end of the block for my company were great. Some of the best food I ever ate in the Army, and they budgeted so well we even had Sara Lee for dessert just about every evening.

Went to the female company for a detail one afternoon and we stayed for lunch and couldn't believe the crap they were being fed. It was like night and day.

Dude, I haven't thought about Tank Hill in years! Had to run from bottom to top every day - in boots!

Back