ARMY NATIONAL GUARD (ARNG) SPECIAL FORCES (SF) UNITS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for you LM. Is this 'soldier' of yours who wants to do all this stuff, is he really you? Sometimes crazy people talk in the third person regarding themselves, or dissociate themselves from themselves- they usually don't make it past the first couple days of selection (psych eval).

Most guys who are in SF, or any of the other ones I'm sure (MARSOC, SEALs, PJs, etc) didn't have 300 hundred questions and an intricate plan. They saw something they wanted and they took it for their own.
The sexiness of the SOF lifestyle quickly fades with the first 100lb. ruck, cold wet night in the woods, etc. Either you want it or you don't.
Its that easy.

SBG sends.

LM,

I started college at 17 and was drafted at 19, volunteered for SF and (while on AD) finished my Bachelor's at 34 and my Master's at 39. It is your path to walk; nobody else's. Do, not do.

Purple

What I really meant was I am interested in that type of a support role when I was older and "retired", more experienced and probably not into jumping out of a perfectly good airplane as much. Another factor would be the ability to remain in a "SOF" type team environment, OPTEMPO, and training/learning opportunities while being close to home and the family. I've looked closely at BORTAC but the three years mandatory time as a regular agent kind of pushes me away

First, the obvious- I'm not a Special Forces soldier, so I'm going to stay in my lane as best I can. However, I have been, and currently am, a member of the type of tactical units you seem to want to join.

Short version- you don't know what you don't know. And I seriously doubt you'll get the chance to learn unless you get yourself straight.

I have to tell you that the comments you made above display both a narcissism and ignorance that would disqualify you from consideration for my current team, and a task force I led in the past. We don't want people who are what we refer to as retired-on-duty. Another disqualifier is your glaring indecision. Perhaps it's your youth and inexperience; you may grow out of it if you simply focus on being the best soldier you can be where you are right now. Forget 25m, think 5m target.

One reason your indecision makes me question your value to my team (staying in my lane here) is that if you can't make a call on something that should be a no-brainer, how can I trust you to make a good judgment call in tactically or ethically challenging circumstances?

You seem to want to jump right onto a team like BORTAC without mastering the basics of the profession. As has already been stated, there is a damn good reason no SWAT team outside of the one run by Sheriff Buford Justice takes people right out of the academy. Good SWAT cops are first and foremost excellent street cops. You may have heard that professionals are those who have an excellent mastery of, and consistently apply, the basics. It's true; it's why you need seasoning before you even get looked at for BORTAC, USMS SOG, and I'm willing to bet SF.

Get to know yourself, excel in MI, find your calling. Stop spinning your wheels.

We don't cross train per say (since both AD and NG guys attend the same SFQC) but we train together from time to time and also on occasion 3rd and 7th Groups will send ODAs to attend our Advanced Urban Combat Course. The majority of combined training is done on the individual level while attending other courses of study.

We do more training with the 160th (at our Training Detachment) than the other SF Groups...

Likewise for 1st and 10th attending our (19th) schools. We also deploy to the same AOR, often together.

I have a question for you LM. Is this 'soldier' of yours who wants to do all this stuff, is he really you? Sometimes crazy people talk in the third person regarding themselves, or dissociate themselves from themselves- they usually don't make it past the first couple days of selection (psych eval).

Most guys who are in SF, or any of the other ones I'm sure (MARSOC, SEALs, PJs, etc) didn't have 300 hundred questions and an intricate plan. They saw something they wanted and they took it for their own.

negative sir. ive got my own path and wants. Until recently I wasnt even exactly sure of the actual SF mission- came from USMC where its not usual talk about army units ect, as we dont GAF. i i didnt GAF as that wasnt my plan.

I came here to research B4 stuff, as lowly as that may be for some, that was my only life-long goal and ive met it, what do I do next? Not sure. I have short term shit to take care of t fill the time, but thats nothing to longterm.

The fact I came across this post was coincidental with what a few of my guys recently stated their intentions are, that is all.

"IF" I were to be interested in this personally, i wouldnt be here asking questions. I know the level of commitment and longterm affects going to and passing selection has. Although im the FNG here, i know where ive been and what Ive done, and how hard ive had to push myself to get there, so the simple fact that 18x is above me, I can only assume what ive done is lowest level of whats to be expected, and thats all I really need to know.

LM, you’re good to go man. The gentleman on this board and in this thread may seem a little rough in their posts at first, but they mean well. Even if they might come off as assholes here and there, their true intent is to help people who aspire to join their ranks (sometimes that’s a kick in the balls for some).

Congratulations on meeting your personal goals (Sniper school), that’s more then I can personally say for my own military goals. Thank you for your service, and don’t feel you are less of a soldier or that you need to compare yourself to anyone because you don’t wear a tab or patch. That said, this is the SF side of the forum and belongs to the respected SF soldiers in this thread, they deserve all the respect they have earned.

I would recommend that invite your soldier to join the forum and ask his question and gain his advice here from the men who currently serve in SF. There is a dedicated forum to mentor people who aspire to join SOF and with pretty darn good results. More than a few members have successfully transitioned from conventional to the SOF side, based on the advice from the SOF mentors in this forum.

LM, you’re good to go man. The gentleman on this board and in this thread may seem a little rough in their posts at first, but they mean well. Even if they might come off as assholes here and there, their true intent to help people who aspire to join their ranks (sometimes that’s a kick in the balls for some).

Congratulations on meeting your personal goals (Sniper school), that’s more then I can personally say for my own military goals. Thank you for your service, and don’t feel you are less of a soldier or that you need to compare yourself to anyone because you don’t wear a tab or patch. That said, this is the SF side of the forum and belongs to the respected SF soldiers in this thread, they deserve all the respect they have earned.

I would recommend that invite your soldier to join the forum and ask his question and gain his advice here from the men who currently serve in SF. There is a dedicated forum to mentor people who aspire to join SOF and with pretty darn good results. More than a few members have successfully transitioned from conventional to the SOF side, based on the advice from the SOF mentors in this forum.

Good post JAB

Oh i Know, but what kinda SL would i be if i couldnt give the best answer to my juniors, or at least attempt to.. ;)

AS for the people, I think we are all Alpha types, so its nature. And I expect whats come out, but the information has come as well, and thats what matters to me. I also understand the frustration in some posts, im sure they get tired of the "same questions" from every newb that comes here and eventually fades away. and Im sure the stern tones even intimidate some, but some are not here for newb shit and can and will stand their ground if they feel they have solid comments or valid questions .

oh, and "Sniper School" was just a formailty in a sense, I want to do the job, not just wear the Tab that I cant wear anyway :)

...what kinda SL would i be if i couldnt give the best answer to my juniors, or at least attempt to...

You would be a SL who knows he cannot answer questions about a topic he knows very little about.

You will garner more respect for saying, "I dont know but I can tell you where to find out" than by making SWAGs or passing off incomplete, 2nd hand information which will lead to more questions you cant answer.

Part of being a good leader and NCO is realizing we have limitations. ;)

correct, but do I not now know there are mixed feelings about NG-AD once on a tm, and I can tell him its going to depend on his individual Tm, when/if he makes it there, but generally frowned upon?

being an outsider, thats about as good as i can get i think, but short and to the point

Oh i Know, but what kinda SL would i be if i couldnt give the best answer to my juniors, or at least attempt to.. ;)
"I don't know." Has always been a perfectly acceptable answer if the question is beyond your experience. In this case, sending this soldier to the NG SF recruiter would have been the best answer.

AS for the people, I think we are all Alpha types, so its nature. And I expect whats come out, but the information has come as well, and thats what matters to me. I also understand the frustration in some posts, im sure they get tired of the "same questions" from every newb that comes here and eventually fades away. and Im sure the stern tones even intimidate some, but some are not here for newb shit and can and will stand their ground if they feel they have solid comments or valid questions .

Belligerent, "I know everything because..." , or, "You should tell me, because..." , or, "I've just stepped foot in your door, you don't know me from Adam and I'm demanding answers because I'm a cool guy and I know it... I'm a Squad Leader...." impresses nobody... Yeah, I got shitty... it's part of my job. You know what, HERE, you are a newb - your self-stated lack of knowledge confirms this, if you want to be an outstanding NCO, you need to quit arguing with people who actually have the answers, solutions, questions and processes you need - or you will fail, miserably.

oh, and "Sniper School" was just a formailty in a sense, I want to do the job, not just wear the Tab that I cant wear anyway :)

See above... passive-aggressive will not make you a respected leader and NCO. It is not about the Tabs, the hats, the bling... it's about the job and your Team on up to the Regiment. That is probably the biggest difference in SOF units, the esprit de corps, ask a Ranger and hell tell you: X Company, Y Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment ; an SF Guy will tell you ODA 9999 and leave it there because if you know, everything is right there, Group, Battalion, Company, and Team... if you don't know you might get C/2/10th SFG(A).

Be the best at your job, be humble when required, be a hard ass if needed - but know the flippin difference... stubborn and obstinate only works occasionally, and you better have the brass on your collar to back that shit up... and others in your Chain of Command that know you are 100% correct.

I can tell you your reputation on here right now... it's: arrogant punk in the SP4 mafia, letting his SL status get in the way of what could be a promising career if his balls wouldn't block his brains, too stupid to admit he doesn't know what he doesn't know, and too arrogant to admit he's wrong. You stepped on your dick with sharpened track shoes - are you going to fix it, or let the wounds fester and have your dick fall off?

I don't know why, but you just got NCOPD... heed it or forget it, your choice.

can I copy your sig? i feel the same way when im done reading your posts

can I copy your sig? i feel the same way when im done reading your posts

I feel like a short break from posting here at least in this thread is a good idea for you.

ill take your advice, as I was done since I got the basic info i was after anyway, andjust got caught up in an un-needed post directed towards me. g'day gents.

If I may ask.

What does the OML exacly mean? Is it a schedule for the different types of units to attend the whole spectrum of schools/courses that are available to them? (MFF, JTAC etc ?)

From my personal point of view, it varies from unit to unit and from the current SOP by the Company SGM. Historically each ODA 18Z runs thier OML based upon thier specific infil skill and what schools guys need in accordance with USAFAC 350-1. For example, I manage the MFF slots since I'm the MFF 18Z. I decide on my team who goes to the school. I get a certain amount of hard slots per fiscal year and I plug them based upon when they can go. All of my guys who are waiting to go to MFFPC all have a current HAP card and a current stamped physical or about to get a current physical. I got guys who are admin prepared for a last minute slot since sometimes MFF slots drop last minute or a walk on slot happens.

I have an ODA OML for guys who need to go to SFAUCC and other related schools. Other schools have pre-reqs that limit who can go which narrows down the pool of qualified applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back