Army to Recommend MultiCam for Entire Force

They could use this to make their case but I hope they don't choose the bunny...

It's all about the background. If the environment was different, Multicam wouldn't appear to be the bast choice. If the photographer used the open ocean instead of grassland for the above picture, then the Navy camo would appear to be the best option. :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I think we get rid of the whole camoflauge pattern-thing and just go with a solid colored uniform in Coyote Brown or something similar. Blends into a lot of open environments (except the ocean; see above comment) and in a wooded environment you can hide behind trees and bushes...

We have been using Multicam for a while now. In our area it works well with the variations we encounter provided it is used intelligently.

The test photo has it's flaws as well as has been mentioned by SOWT. The only way to properly determine what works (photographically) is to have the subjects fully kitted and properly cammed up per SOPs as well as identically posed.Photos do not "see' or show what the eye does however. Actual eyes of properly operationally experienced FRONT LINE combat troops should be the only judges as to effectiveness and usability of any cam pattern.

It seems that the simple but important facts are forgotten in these sorts of debates and no one (in the decision making process) appears to understand the limits of camo patterns or want to accept that there will never be a pattern which works effectively in all environments/ conditions. All on this forum know only too well that movement trumps camouflage at any time yet it seems that there are those who expect the opposite. Cam only works when used properly in conjunction with technique,skill and use of cover/ terrain. It is not a magic cure all.
I think it is too easy for some to focus on the pattern and not actually apply skill and training .

Personally, I think we get rid of the whole camoflauge pattern-thing and just go with a solid colored uniform in Coyote Brown or something similar. Blends into a lot of open environments (except the ocean; see above comment) and in a wooded environment you can hide behind trees and bushes...

That idea, as off-the-wall as it may sound to some, actually has a lot of merit.

Khaki

I would use khaki.

We were given a lesson on camo during my lead scout's course, they spoke of the laziness in personal camouflage due to the introduction of camo uniforms. Good lesson.

Khaki

I would use khaki.

We were given a lesson on camo during my lead scout's course, they spoke of the laziness in personal camouflage due to the introduction of camo uniforms. Good lesson.

Khaki, coyote brown, something like that. We're on the same side of the colour wheel... :ninja:

Khaki, coyote brown, something like that. We're on the same side of the colour wheel... :ninja:

LOL, indeed.

I really don't understand why the Corps went with coyote and the Rangers went with green when khaki is the perfect mix of both and an almost universal camouflage color.

I really don't understand why the Corps went with coyote and the Rangers went with green when khaki is the perfect mix of both and an almost universal camouflage color.

Weren't the Rangers fielding Ranger Green before the Corps went with Coyote? So, there's your answer regardless of the timeline, WE HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT!

If I were SECDEF I'd put every service in MARPAT with Ranger Green armor and pouches and tell everyone to GTFOverit.

I have people skills, I should go into HR.

Weren't the Rangers fielding Ranger Green before the Corps went with Coyote? So, there's your answer regardless of the timeline, WE HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT!

If I were SECDEF I'd put every service in MARPAT with Ranger Green armor and pouches and tell everyone to GTFOverit.

I have people skills, I should go into HR.
Agree (orMulticam), except for the armor; I'd stick with FDE or Coyote.

WTF, we're doing this AGAIN?? We're looking at cutting health care and other benefits for servicemembers and we're going to drop how many BILLIONS of dollars on yet ANOTHER cammo pattern?

I feel a letter to my congressman coming on...

WTF, we're doing this AGAIN?? We're looking at cutting health care and other benefits for servicemembers and we're going to drop how many BILLIONS of dollars on yet ANOTHER cammo pattern?

I feel a letter to my congressman coming on...
Sorry, I feel not wearing the camo equivalent of hunter orange into combat and a uniform that can last longer than 2 weeks in the field may be important.
Reed

Sorry, I feel not wearing the camo equivalent of hunter orange into combat and a uniform that can last longer than 2 weeks in the field may be important.
Reed

Disagree all you want, we have something that meets the requirements now, now, it's called Multicam. We had it before, it was BDU and DCU. We didn't need the ultra-FAIL that was UCP, and we don't need another protracted, expensive, and useless design, testing, and fielding process. What should happen is someone with some balls should make a decision on what the best standard ground combat uniform is, and EVERYONE gets put in it.

I did not realize that another complete round of testing was expected. I thought the article implied that the testing was complete and that the Army was ready to make a decision based on the info they already had. I'm hoping for Multi-cam as well.
Reed

we don't need another protracted, expensive, and useless design, testing, and fielding process. .

I did not realize that another complete round of testing was expected. I thought the article implied that the testing was complete and that the Army was ready to make a decision based on the info they already had. I'm hoping for Multi-cam as well.
Reed

The testing is finished, we are just waiting on a result now.

it is disgraceful that the Army didnt just make multicam the "new" camo. We've spent how much money equipping troops in A'stan with it?

Any one of the new camo patterns will be OK/good IMO but we shouldn't have gone down this road in the first place. This was the Army being a little bitch after Congress forced them to adopt multicam in A'stan and them sulking and refusing to adopt it universally.

Fuck the Army leadership.

The need a solid color for gear, something that doesn't become obsolete when we get a uniform change. FDE would be my choice.

FDE is good but it's not a universal color. It's not too effective in a green landscape, Jungle/Europe etc... I've done field testing in the past, and found Khaki is the best choice for a one color for all concept. A mix of brown and green.

Back