Army to Recommend MultiCam for Entire Force

Spider6

Verified Military
http://www.military.com/daily-news/...r-entire-force.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=1

Evidently the recommendation will be made this fall with the following options:

"One option would be to make MultiCam the Army's official camouflage pattern, sources tell Military.com.

The second option would be to make MultiCam the service's pattern for garrison and general deployment use, but also to have a family of approved camouflage patterns that could be issued for specific areas of the world."

The second option sounds a lot like the "old days" when we all wore BDUs then got DCUs before we got on the plane.

The Navy got the camouflage idea spot on the first time, assuming my theory on the pattern is correct: It hides dust and gray paint like no other can!

People say, "Well, what if you fall in the water?" No matter what color (blue, green, bright pink) your outfit, the only thing that would save you in the freezing, expansive ocean is if you have chem lights strung up all over.

The Navy got the camouflage idea spot on the first time, assuming my theory on the pattern is correct: It hides dust and gray paint like no other can!

People say, "Well, what if you fall in the water?" No matter what color (blue, green, bright pink) your outfit, the only thing that would save you in the freezing, expansive ocean is if you have chem lights strung up all over.

LOL......I will freely admit that that was a question of mine regarding the Navy pattern! Speaking of which why not just have Sailors in immersion suits all the time. It keeps them warm and its a bright red!

LOL......I will freely admit that that was a question of mine regarding the Navy pattern! Speaking of which why not just have Sailors in immersion suits all the time. It keeps them warm and its a bright red!
You know, that's a very good question! I will admit, though, that our coveralls are some of the most comfortable outfits ever. No camouflage, but no one cares if they get dirty.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...r-entire-force.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=1

Evidently the recommendation will be made this fall with the following options:

"One option would be to make MultiCam the Army's official camouflage pattern, sources tell Military.com.

The second option would be to make MultiCam the service's pattern for garrison and general deployment use, but also to have a family of approved camouflage patterns that could be issued for specific areas of the world."

The second option sounds a lot like the "old days" when we all wore BDUs then got DCUs before we got on the plane.

Good lord, I think I'm going to have a heart attack!
A decision that makes sense and will save money... Can't be...

I sincerely hope they adopt the second option.

The Navy and it's camo. Yeah.... retarded is a kind word.

The Pacific, Indian oceans are freezing? Interesting :hmm:

How about the coverall with an inbuilt strobe that activates upon immersion in water like airplanes lifejackets? Damn that took me all of 2 minutes to come up with.

The Navy and it's camo. Yeah.... retarded is a kind word.

The Pacific, Indian oceans are freezing? Interesting :hmm:

How about the coverall with an inbuilt strobe that activates upon immersion in water like airplanes lifejackets? Damn that took me all of 2 minutes to come up with.
All things considered, the current NWU is the best option for what's required of that particular uniform. Throw in the fact it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than our previous iterations, and you won't find me complaining. It's a definite departure from the norm, and wasn't well received by, well, anybody. However, again, it's comfortable, has more than enough pockets, and does what it was intended to.

I'm interested, what is required of the uniform, What is it intended to do?

I don't even know what to do with myself. There is so much common sense flowing that it just blows me away....

I will be happy with either of the two specified options. Obviously option 2 gives a bit more flexibility, but going with option 1 is fine with me as well. I would be comfortable wearing multicam just about anywhere besied an arctic/snow covered region, in which case I would probably be wearing some combination from the grey PCU system anyway.

Option 2 is stupid and expensive. Let the ACU remain (for now) the garrison uniform with MC the deployable uniform.

The Army (and AF) can not afford to throw all the ACU/ABU patterned gear away. Keep the abominations as garrison uniforms, and slowly evolve to MC.

I also think option 2 is PEO Soldiers way of saying Multi-cam is not a good uniform combination (see we need extra uniforms b/c MC doesn't cut it).

I'm interested, what is required of the uniform, What is it intended to do?
This is a slippery slope that won't end well for my attempt at justifying the Navy's choice. Regardless, I have an obligation to answer your inquiry:

It is designed to be more utilitarian during in-port duty than the uniform it replaced. We can shift from various bits of work- i.e. priming/painting, chipping, grinding, maintenance, etc- to watch on short notice, or even walk to one's abode without changing in to civvies. Contrary to what most people decide to believe, and a theory that I fed in to earlier, we're actually not allowed to wear the NWU's underway, so the idea that the NWU's cause us to blend in with the water is a fallacy. Pardon my lack of terminology awareness, but I would liken it to an in-garrison uniform.

It may not seem like a big thing, but it is definitely an upgrade from what we had.

Edit:
Provide us with a bunch of pockets to shove snickers, Monster and pork rinds in...
That too.

~snip: we're actually not allowed to wear the NWU's underway
I thought that was the CO's discretion. Is that Navy wide? I've heard rumors (at this stupid training command, yes I know) that some skippers were making NWU the uniform for being underway/on deployment. I hope it's a big fat lie, like most other things around here...

I thought that was the CO's discretion. Is that Navy wide? I've heard rumors (at this stupid training command, yes I know) that some skippers were making NWU the uniform for being underway/on deployment. I hope it's a big fat lie, like most other things around here...
They were attempting to make it at the CO's discretion, and I don't know if that ever passed. However, the ubiquitous nature of the coveralls would cause a person wearing NWU's to stand out, and the Navy doesn't like that.

The best uniform decision made by the Navy in recent memory was getting Fleet Master Chief Levault off of TV. Rocking a turtleneck under the NWU's with his "scholarly" glasses made me think he was Sandusky's heir apparent.

"Ship, shipmate, self...and bring me your eight year old boys, I'll shower 'em off."

The Army (and AF) can not afford to throw all the ACU/ABU patterned gear away. Keep the abominations as garrison uniforms, and slowly evolve to MC.

I do not support the ACU sticking around any longer than necessary. Cut our losses and just get rid of this abortion of a uniform. I may also go back and photoshop multicam onto any pictures I am in with ACU's on, just to try and erase any of the memories.

Option 2 is stupid and expensive. Let the ACU remain (for now) the garrison uniform with MC the deployable uniform.

I also think option 2 is PEO Soldiers way of saying Multi-cam is not a good uniform combination (see we need extra uniforms b/c MC doesn't cut it).

There was a lot of kicking and screaming when these "abominations" were issued, the rumor at the time was that Big Army new they had an abortion on there hands but as you pointed out they had already ordered so many of them that they just went with it! That was the rumor any way!

I do not support the ACU sticking around any longer than necessary. Cut our losses and just get rid of this abortion of a uniform. I may also go back and photoshop multicam onto any pictures I am in with ACU's on, just to try and erase any of the memories.

And roger....I was in a LRS company when we went through the RFI. The joke at the time was that we would lie on top of each other and pretend to be a pile of gravel. We got lucky when some Air Cav buddies gave us a lot of old tan flight suits. Some of us went out and bought the old DCUs. Then our MI chain of command found out about it and their was much discussion going back and forth. These were the same guys that required my guys to wear body armor while climbing the mountains in the AO. Like you said I'll just be happy when their gone!

I agree, but the money spent on ACU shit needs to give some return.
The amount of money spent making ACU packs, etc is huge; we now will spend the same money making MC packs, etc.
I would support a quicker transition if the Army would just go with a solid color for gear (FDE for example).
I also think recruits and AIT Soldiers can get by with ACU, let them get MC when they report to their first "no-shit" duty station, but that can't fly as someone's feelings would be hurt :(

I'm just tired of carrying one contico that has like BDU's, ACU's, DCU', and MC in it.

Back