As a LEO, in an Active Shooter Situation, You Should...

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
... run and hide???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/2...urity-safety-course-promotes/?intcmp=trending

The FEMA-administered computer course, entitled “IS-907- Active Shooter: What You Can Do,” is a 45-minute tutorial that provides guidance to all employees on how to recognize indicators of possible workplace violence and what to do should their office be invaded by gunmen and focuses around three main options; either evacuate, hide out, or in dire circumstances, take action.
“We are now taught in an ‘Active Shooter’ course that if we encounter a shooter in a public place we are to ‘run away’ and ‘hide’" union leader Brandon Judd wrote on the website of 3,300-member union local. “If we are cornered by such a shooter we are to (only as a last resort) become ‘aggressive’ and ‘throw things’ at him or her. We are then advised to ‘call law enforcement’ and wait for their arrival (presumably, while more innocent victims are slaughtered)."

OK, I can kind of see that being good advice for untrained/unarmed civilians. But that doesn't apply to people like the Border Patrol, right?
DHS officials maintain that the Active Shooter course was designed for all employees—civilian and law-enforcement officers-- and no one should rush into a situation where they, or others around them, could get hurt.

:-o

I kind of thought "cower in fear while people around you get brutally murdered and then your own life is snuffed out" kind of went out the window on 9/11. Guess I was wrong.

If I don't have a weapon on me (which is most of the time in this gun-hating state), there isn't a threat to people I care about, and I have a way out, I'm E&E-ing for sure. If any one of those conditions aren't true, it's GOB, no matter what a little pamphlet says. I suspect that's the way it is for all of us.

Considering this is coming from DHS it makes perfect sense. All these folks who take out the threats on the aircraft after TSA lets them on are just making them look bad. Obviously we need to train people to be afraid.

I'd hide, but somewhere I could keep eyes on so I could call someone who actually has a gun to come and shoot the cunt.

I think I already stated my TTP in a thread about grocery store robberies. I'm grabbing the nearest fat kid as a shield and curling up in a ball on the ground behind him. You heros can do whatever you want, but leave me out of it.

I think I already stated my TTP in a thread about grocery store robberies. I'm grabbing the nearest fat kid as a shield and curling up in a ball on the ground behind him. You heros can do whatever you want, but leave me out of it.

Make sure you choke the kid out first, that way they're not screaming and drawing unwanted attention!

Be this guy.........

JGarner.jpg

Original Thread

Our unit teaches Active Shooter for inservice training at our Academy. We use that example mentioned above on what one officer can do vs waiting for back up.

I have never understood waiting for back up in situations where there is believed to be only one shooter. Unless the back up is only seconds away, I don't think I could live with the knowledge I waited in the parking lot while innocents were being slaughtered.

Oh man, someone got their tit in a ringer criticizing this policy recently. The FB page for MARSEC4 is about Marine LE so there are a lot of USCG folks there. A couple of days ago, they posted an image of a bunch of geered up guys who had gone over the rail and were about to hit a hallway of the typically narrow boat variety. The question was asked, Would you a) do as the DHS recommends and throw chairs down the hall if any bad guys show themselves, or b) do what it took to accomplish the mission? I laughed and made some comment about Darth Vader about to come through the door at the end of the hall.

Not 10 minutes later that pic was GONE.

That TTP is government-wide: cower/ hide, flee, throw things, engage as a last resort. I think there's even a blurb about not rendering aid until everyone is secure and the shooter is accounted for.

That's what the "heroes" here are being taught, or "warriors" or whatever everyone is this week. We have the obligatory reminders in every building.

That TTP is government-wide: cower/ hide, flee, throw things, engage as a last resort. I think there's even a blurb about not rendering aid until everyone is secure and the shooter is accounted for.

That's what the "heroes" here are being taught, or "warriors" or whatever everyone is this week. We have the obligatory reminders in every building.
This isn't just a problem off-duty-
I loved all the pics/video on the Va Tech shooting. It was a bunch of LEOs taking cover behind trees, cars, etc OUTSIDE while shots rang out from inside. I'm sure they were waiting for the situation to develop/waiting for backup/waiting for the word from higher/etc. Newsflash, you were the damn backup- good job.

If you are an LEO and are questioning what you would have done in this scenario, here's my perspective- you're paid to confront danger, the average citizen is not. You have the potential to be in a war zone at anytime, so do what every good soldier overseas does- realize that today might be the day, but regardless of that fact, you're going to do your damn job.

So here's my recommended course of action-
Be a warrior for a day (or at least just a few minutes), gain a tactical advantage and send that loser to hell. Don't wait for the situation to develop- develop the situation- reactive vs. proactive. The second you become reactive, you're a step behind- get inside his loop and beat him.

I think the answer for an active shooter is to be more active than he is.

Active shooters claim a lot of reactive/passive victims.

Back