As you look back, charge ahead.....

Grimfury160

Personnel Clerk
SOF Support
Shaking a tree! Do you see me on the map?
I was charged with numerous duties throughout my career. I have never had more profound respect for the Soldiers I supported until I joined the 160th. I can recall an evening in which things seemed to fly by soo fast yet move at a snail pace. It was an evening on an airfield surrounded by mountains, the brisk air catches the fleece off guard as I look into the cargo hold of the 47. As I look into the darkened cargo area and head towards the crewchief, I race to ensure that the customers are situated. I pace between the aircraft as I ensure that all PAX are on the designated birds. I look amongst the faces of hardened men who stare back at me as if they were looking through for someone else.

The aft engine comes to life, triple check my manifest and give the pilots a thumbs up and the crewchief a pat on the back. I take one last look before departing the ramp. I stand stone solid at a distance until I can no longer view the beasts roar into the darkness. The evenings were dark, the moods and spirits always stern. I race off the tarmac, a table awaits not to far from the commander. I diligently go over the crew cards and prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have been charged with many duties in my time, preparing correspondence upon the notification of a loss was never an easy one. I knew what was expected of me, I volunteered and lived by a creed. Every day spent in the Regiment was an honor, and my family supported every step of the way.

Now on these cold evenings, I go out side and stand atop my driveway and look into the dark sky. I look back at the duties at hand and charge ahead as a proud Army vet, a Disabled Vet. My hearing may be dwindling but I can still hear the rotors and feel the wash of those magnificent birds. Those memories never fade away, the time spent in the 101st and the time served in the 160th. I charge ahead now as a civilian dealing with a new atmosphere, a new unknown. I miss the days behind me but must keep moving forward. It was an amazing experience and I have gained many brothers along the way, charge ahead brothers, charge ahead. 421078.jpg
Picture provided for public domain by Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force - Afghanistan; SGT D. Shook

Back