Been working on a Combat Uniform...

I'm talking to A-TACS, Propper has a contract with them so until that ends I can't do more than one demo set for myself. Can't sell any.
Until I get the feedback from the guys in A-stan all I can do is special orders and I can get that pricing tomorrow. Right now I have material for 3-color Desert, Woodland, Khaki, Digital, and Multicam is +$15. One-off special orders are going to be a bit more pricey than they will be once I start manufacturing them in bulk.
I'm in Clear Lake City which is Houston if you want to get technical.

I like the following:

-the pattern; looks like you could blend in with something other than a gravel pit, unlike our current uniform

-the "side open" pockets on the sleeves, pants, and chest. The zipper is a nice touch. I prefer buttons, but zippers are far better than velcro IMO.

-the d-ring securing buckles on the pants. Great anchor points for dummy cords.

-The re-enforcement in the pocket where your knife will slide in and out. I can't count the number of ACU trousers that I've worn holes in that area with my pocketknife.

-The wider pockets on the pants

-"Pen pockets" that are actually wide enough to put something in other than skinny black "Skillcraft- US Government" pens

I think that the MOLLE loops on the forearms are overkill, but then again I'm a "pog" (crossthread)

I really like what you've designed here, and I would be proud to wear it. And I bet the R&D didn't cost $10 million either, like our next combat uniform will.

Thanks for the input! The only real change I plan is the D-ring. They are currently metal and I'm swapping them out for the ITW Tri-Ring which is made from Acetal which is prolly just a fancy word for some kind of plastic.
109-0075%20-%20Tri%20Ring%203_4.jpg

My R&D was personal experience modding my own uniforms in Iraq in '05 and talking with Soldiers and LE now and asking what they needed. I started this just about a year ago so I'm ready to go as soon as I can get some pre-production pricing. I don't want to get to many made before I hear back from the guys in A-stan testing them out.

If you could make a pair of pants that doesn't tear at the crotch every time I take a knee or make a big step upwards, that would be "mission success" in my book. Stupid ACUs...

Okay, I'm trying to find some breathable stretchable mesh in the correct colors to add a diamond gusset in the crotch. I think mesh would be cool because a cool dry crotch is a happy crotch. Last minute change that I might be able to make happen.

Okay, I'm trying to find some breathable stretchable mesh in the correct colors to add a diamond gusset in the crotch. I think mesh would be cool because a cool dry crotch is a happy crotch. Last minute change that I might be able to make happen.

Something that I have been looking at is the Micro Euromesh commonly used in sports wear such as shooting jerseys. You can have it sublimated to the right pattern color and use it in area where cooling is a plus (i.e. arm pits, crotch, down the middle of the back, ect). This would make for a great combination of having a sturdy material where needed but breathable where needed as well.

a modified vented 2 layer saddle gusset for the crotch would be more durable and comfortable...

Can you explain the "vented 2 layer saddle gusset"? I've done a search and didn't find any examples.
I'll look into adding more breathable material in certain areas, but making major changes like that might have to come in round 2. The gusset is an easy mod.

Can you explain the "vented 2 layer saddle gusset"? I've done a search and didn't find any examples.
I'll look into adding more breathable material in certain areas, but making major changes like that might have to come in round 2. The gusset is an easy mod.

Saddle gussett... like the old 1st gen BDU's or
bicycle shorts where the crotch gussett is a single saddle shaped piece of material with seams back and front for the attachments

Put me on your waiting list for when you eventually do some straight OD, and Coyote pseudo-civilian/outdoors garments. I -like probably most folks- will gladly pay for genuine quality and uber-ruggedness.

My $0.2 = what I mean by quality & ruggedness:
1. BIG pockets wherever possible. Big hands can't always get through the opening. (that's what she said)
2. Big, strong zipper devices that don't derail.
3. Reinforce the stitching on any and all buttons so if they get caught on a vehicle or in tight spaces they don't readily pop off. Nothing like a button that's on its last dangly thread.
4. Wide reinforced belt loops that can accommodate non-conventional gun belts, and make the belt loops rugged, too- but not the super wide 5.11 loops that look flight-suit-ish. Some tactical pants manufacturers cover up large swathes of the belt behind fabric. Leave the belt exposed so useless trinkets and a leatherman can be attached to it.
5. Athletic taper on upper body garments is a plus so excessive material isn't flapping around the lower torso like a ghetto grandma sleep shirt.
6 . Ventilation is a huge plus wherever it can be included.
7. Water drain holes in the cargo pockets like the old BDU's from the 70's and early 80's used to have.

This is the button I'll be using once I get into production runs. It attaches with webbing fed through a small button hole and it's sewn on the ends. Very strong and won't "pop" off easily. Any stress is on the webbing. Wasn't able to get these while developing so it'll have to wait. I did go with a 3/4" wide beltloop and they're big enough for a riggers belt. Thought about making them with slightly larger openings. Might be a version 2 change.
BarBuckle.jpg

Back