Big Tech and Political Echo Chambers

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
I'm fairly conservative, but I try to consume a variety of political content both because it interests me and because I think it's important.

I have my own problems with Big Tech, largely because of their conspicuous and undeniable far-left bias, and because I have been, and am, actively censored on platforms I like to use, most notably Facebook.

So it was interesting to me that I received a notification that I saved a video that I don't recall ever clicking on, much less saving for later (below).

I'm not really into click-bait type podcasts, and while I certainly didn't vote for our current president, I don't consider him "in bed with the enemy." However, I could see how, based on my Facebook viewing history, that an algorithm might think this would be of interest to me (it's not).

So that in turn made me think about how social media steers us into ideological echo chambers, thereby serving as a kind of brainwashing/indoctrinating/dividing/confirmation bias-ing function that I think is bad for us individually, and as a nation.

At any rate, I thought this might be a good topic for future discussion.

327275104_1807967186235976_773196953828246922_n.jpg

I've said it before here, and its based on my own experiences, that people do not to want be ostracized from their version of "the cool kids" club. Social media is where you can find a club and be accepted in. All you have to do is post a snarky "I hate Trump/ Go Brandon" remark and your club thinks your cool.

Since the MSM is biased, a lot people want to be in that club.

Last edited:
I'm fairly conservative, but I try to consume a variety of political content both because it interests me and because I think it's important.

I have my own problems with Big Tech, largely because of their conspicuous and undeniable far-left bias, and because I have been, and am, actively censored on platforms I like to use, most notably Facebook.

So it was interesting to me that I received a notification that I saved a video that I don't recall ever clicking on, much less saving for later (below).

I'm not really into click-bait type podcasts, and while I certainly didn't vote for our current president, I don't consider him "in bed with the enemy." However, I could see how, based on my Facebook viewing history, that an algorithm might think this would be of interest to me (it's not).

So that in turn made me think about how social media steers us into ideological echo chambers, thereby serving as a kind of brainwashing/indoctrinating/dividing/confirmation bias-ing function that I think is bad for us individually, and as a nation.

At any rate, I thought this might be a good topic for future discussion.

327275104_1807967186235976_773196953828246922_n.jpg
The echo chambers may be more of a second-order effect of what the algorithms discovered, on a grand scale, most effectively keeps humans scrolling and clicking - for better or worse.

And as with most addiction-based designs, it is up to the player to sort out if they can tolerate the water temperature, or they've had enough.

When the design hits just right, you may well become that frog in the cooking water pot.

Facebook also apparently really, really wants me to know that Wells Fargo gave $50M to support indigenous issues. That add pops up on almost every Facebook video I watch.

Last edited:
I am on Twitter only to follow a couple meteorologists who are so much more accurate than the TV folks. My time on FB is less and less, and I have culled the herd of people I 'like'. I am on there really to keep up friendships with some high school and college friends, and to keep up with some family. I fully believe that the algorithm-generated echo chamber is real (try googling hiking boots and see what happens), though since Biden I have stayed away from politics-related stuff.

50M would certainly change something.
For sure. Wells Fargo apparently also has several other donation programs to support "diverse" (i.e. non-white) communities that also pop up consistently in my feed and in the videos I watch.

So on the one hand I'm being targeted with "diversity and inclusion" ads (which I deeply dislike), and at the same time being force-fed videos about President Biden being "in bed with the enemy" (which I also dislike).

Whatever bots are tracking me online must be so confused by my browsing history...

I am on Twitter only to follow a couple meteorologists who are so much more accurate than the TV folks. My time on FB is less and less, and I have culled the herd of people I 'like'. I am on there really to keep up friendships with some high school and college friends, and to keep up with some family. I fully believe that the algorithm-generated echo chamber is real (try googling hiking boots and see what happens), though since Biden I have stayed away from politics-related stuff.
This site is the only social media I use. I enjoy it because we can mostly hold each other accountable without holding permanent grudges. Politically, I try to focus on the issues and policies rather than stuff like personal failures which is what I mostly see on twitter etc..I've also never really grasped why some people seek approval from other people they've never even met, through social media. I'll admit that its always good for the sanity to hear that someone agrees with you, but I appreciate genuine disagreement and I'm not here for the "likes" or gay hearts.

My social media usage is determined by app, so the algorithm is all weird across them.

Facebook is just family/friends.

Twitter is basically non-existent for me outside of using it for on the street accounts of events.

Instagram is for friends, memes/comedy, and certain military pages like Havok or Ones Ready.
There's a smattering of single interest (fitness, cooking) pages there as well.

Youtube is basically all over the place. Comedy podcasts, kinesiology/medical/philosophy lectures, media analysis through(social/political) lenses, or music related stuff.

Of those sites, I allow my Instagram to filter more content towards me that is not within my bubble.
The algorithm sees all the military stuff and assumes I want more Peterson/Shapiro/Carlson/etc content.
I allow it so at least I'm aware of topics/positions I might not be hearing in my other areas.

Joke's on FB's algorithm. I only use Google to search for transsexual dating, how to cut heroin, body dump sites, etc.

j/k. I knew how to cut heroin back in 2009.

So, no Mexican black tar? Or are you cutting with Fentanyl or Scoplamime? I have use lactose, PCP and sugar in past.

;)

Back