Brexit - (AKA...should they stay or should they go now?)

I do not live in the UK, but I have close ties, property and family there. From here, it looks like a good deal for the UK, and I probably would have come down on the exit side. I have been hearing from family about the vote outcome. I have only one who voted without full knowledge, and is regretting their vote to exit. There will be a vacuum in Europe as a result of the UK's leaving, and I think you have to follow the money to understand how this will settle down. I would not be surprised if the German Mark, France's Franc, and Italy's currency return.

On the negative side for the UK, Northern Ireland, and Scotland will likely both become more vocal about cutting ties with England.

My $.02.

Last edited:
Well keep on keeping on friend. You consistently wade in on issues concerning America that you have no business in, so I will feel just fine wading in to yours.

My shitposting is better than yours.

Just so you both know, I spit coffee all over my phone reading this. Good stuff! LMAO

Interesting POV. Weakening the EU leaves a vacuum; we might not be thrilled with who ends upfilling it.

"The markers of European decline are not hard to find. For the first time in modern history, Asia has more private wealth than Europe, the Boston Consulting Group said last year. And China will account for 70 percent of Asia’s growth between now and 2019, the group said.

Many Asian leaders have tended to view the European experiment at unity as a proposition that could not last. Lee Kuan Yew, the former prime minister of Singapore, once called the European Union a motley crowd trying to march to a single drummer. He predicted it would fail."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/w...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

grand-theft-eurozone.jpg

Possible? Maybe. Likely? Not so sure.

When Scotland, Gibraltar, etc voted to remain it was in the context of remaining within the EU and the UK. If they had to vote again and choose between the EU or the UK, you can see how that might be different.

To be fair I think they used that figure as an example of what they could do with the money saved. Did they ever guarantee it would be split up like that? Also, they're not saying it won't be. Just that it can't be guaranteed, and almost nothing ever can be guaranteed in politics -- when other people meddle.

They probably didn't expect the public to vote the way they did, that's true. Not necessarily a bad thing though, because now it can be taken really seriously.

I think voting to remain in the UK without EU membership may raise interesting results, Scotland would almost certainly jump ship, there's a small possibility of NI doing it, the Sheep Shaggers would stay put. Not that it will happen though, Scotland will get their vote, Northern Ireland is nowhere near ready to even begin contemplating independence and Wales are Wales.

Not quite sure I agree with the NHS money being presented as what it could possibly be spent on... I mean, their campaign bus had it emblazoned all over it. It was pretty clear cut.

I think not expecting to win and not forming any kind of plan may come back to bite them, two years of negotiations for something this major isn't a particularly long time and the EU are ready to kick off negotations right now.

It now seems that regions are looking for assurances that Westminster will replace the money they'll lose from EU subsidies... Cornwall looking for 60 million quid a year. Yorkshire want 600 million quid over the next four years. Northern Ireland sounding off about it as well... It could get quite expensive.

Back