Case Study: Tabs and Tyrants

“5th Platoon, this is Second Lieutenant Scott Faith. He’s new to Delta Company and comes to us by way of ROTC at Middle Georgia Military College and Macon University. Let’s give him a warm Mad Dog welcome!” This exhortation was followed by a series of enthusiastic barks and howls from the assembled men. After a few seconds of this, Ellery again commanded “About, face!” to get everyone facing him again. When they, as one, complied, he gave another order: “Extend to the left… march!” and with that, Faith’s first experience in a “real” unit began.

“Did I just meet my platoon for the first time?” Faith wondered as he participated in the stretching exercises and calisthenics. If he had, it seemed kind of anti-climactic. He expected something… different. And how did SFC Ellery know where he went to school? It didn’t come up when he met him on Friday. That was weird. Whatever, it was time to put that aside and concentrate on killing it physically for the next hour and a half.

Faith breezed through the calisthenics and stretching exercises as well as the upper body training. It was thorough, but not particularly taxing. He certainly had been through tougher PT sessions in the Officer Basic Course and even some days in ROTC. This was, conveniently, “abs day,” which was great because Faith prided himself on his lower body strength. Nonetheless, by the time he was through he knew he was going to feel this PT session tomorrow.

When calisthenics were complete, the platoon formed back up and closed ranks. Sergeant Ellery once again took his place at the head of the formation.

“The next exercise will be…” he paused for dramatic effect “the ability group run!” a series of good-natured groans emanated from the assembled group. “Ready, move!” Ellery commanded. With this, the platoon split into four roughly-equal groups and began to stretch on their own in anticipation of the upcoming run. It wasn’t clear which group Faith should go with, and he started to walk over to Ellery to ask, he was stopped by Sergeant David. “Want to run with us, sir?” he asked with a smile.

“Yeah, OK,” Faith responded. And off they went. This was a “last one up” run, in which the group formed one long line and at a signal given by Sergeant David, the last man in the formation sprinted to the front.

When the run started, Sergeant David was behind Faith and struck up a conversation with Faith, filling him in about things like unit lore, the different Soldiers in the company, and the significance of buildings he was passing. He also asked faith a few general “getting to know you” questions. In between sprints to the front of the line, Faith answered Sergeant David’s questions and posed a few of his own. But the pace was brutal, and even though he was in pretty good shape, Faith began to feel winded. At about three miles in, Faith stopped asking his own questions and at about five miles he stopped responding, except through a series of grunts.

At last, the group made the final turn back to the company area. Ahead, Faith could see the other ability groups had already returned and were doing cool-down stretches. “Everyone on line!” Sergeant David called. Still running, the group lined up abreast so that everyone was even. Then Sergeant David called out, “Finish is the corner of the Delta Company headquarters building. And… go!” At his command, everyone took off running. Faith ran as hard as he could, determined to be the first to reach the finish line. He wasn’t. He finished third out of about nine people, a close finish to be sure but third nonetheless. As he crossed the line, he could feel what was coming next. He blew past the finish line corner and turned it, hoping he could conceal the fact that he was about to throw up.

As far as the running is concerned, well, a new platoon always tries to size up their PL/PC when he comes in. Often times we're told we better be the most fit. Never be in the middle third or bottom third of your platoon's PT scores. Sounds like he needs to run more on the weekends.

And he better find his Company Commander and check in, like yesterday.

16lt98.jpg

case-study-time.jpg

case-study-meme.jpg

Hoping I did this correctly..
I have not been to Ranger School, let me make that clear. I regret not going all the time.

1) Why is having a Ranger Tab so important in an Infantry unit? Does it have the same meaning in other units?

I see the military as a fraternity. As you move into each specific MOS or career field the fraternity grows smaller. With each individual unit inside those career fields, the fraternity grows smaller still. This is why I believe that Ranger Tab is so important to the Infantry, especially Officers. The Ranger Tab to me says a lot about a potential leader. It means you can go without sleep, food, and water while still leading men in Military operations. It's a simple way to identify who can be relied on. Reliability is essential when most everyone you meet in the Military is a stranger. I would struggle to give a man I have no background with the responsibility of the lives of 40 men. When you look at the Ranger Tab as a very small fraternity inside of the Armed Forces, it means I have something in common with you. It says the thing I have in common with you was a thing I had a hard time getting through myself. I can rely on the fact Ranger Instructors are going to ensure quality leadership skills are hammered into you during some of the toughest conditions possible before you get to me. In short, the Ranger Tab says, "you and I aren't foreign, we share life experience, and I can rely on you."

As for the second part to that question, it certainly does. For an enlisted soldier (seemed to me Officers were required) when I was in 3rd Styrker BDE it wasn't a high priority. When I got to 4th BDE (Light) 4th ID in Carson and walked into 1SG Cashman's office I found out that minute how important it was. I reported to be his Mortar Section Leader and my very young "Tabbed" Sgt squad leader was accompanying me. I reported, 1SG Cashman looked me up and down and said, "are you missing something? I think it goes above your unit patch...." Yep, I sure was, fuck.

2) What should Faith’s priority be now?

It's time for the young LT to put his failure to the side, read and understand the Commander's Intent and strive to do all he can to make that unit the best he can. Leadership has nothing to do with what you can accomplish and everything to do with what you can help your men, platoon, company or battalion accomplish. Once the BC or fellow officers understand that your mission is the unit, he'll get his chance at Ranger School again.

3) What kinds of things should Faith focus on in his upcoming discussion with the Battalion Commander?

The LT needs to take advantage of the moment; he's not going to get a whole lot of one-on-one time like this with his Commander. With the knowledge gained from speaking with the S1, if he gets the opportunity to ask questions, he needs to ask what he can do to better the unit. Then when he's assigned his staff position, he needs to remember that he's still a leader. Just because he didn't pass Ranger School doesn't mean he can't use what he learned there.

Side note, when I first got to 2-3 IN (3th SBCT) all new enlisted soldiers met with CSM Bjerke. When I reported to him, I was scared to death. He spoke to me about where I was from and what my goals were, then asked if I had any questions. Reluctantly, I ask him about how I could start using the Thrift Savings Plan. He gave me very puzzled look and said, ''you're staying here and you're working for me." I was assigned to our BC as his RTO; it was one of the best experiences of my military career. I use this story to highlight the importance of the LT to make a good first impression. Use the information you've already gathered from the S1 to your advantage.

4) How have you dealt with your own failures, either in the military or in life in general?

Looking back on my short military career I approached it like failure wasn't an option, which is a good and bad thing. I was so afraid to fail I didn't go to Ranger School or SFAS. Even though I knew the cadre would have had to drag me out before I quit, I was still scared to fail. I've learned that failure is experience that isn't celebrated. Succeeding is easy, failure is hard, embrace it. Don't be scared to fail, you don't learn shit from succeeding.

Last edited:
4) How have you dealt with your own failures, either in the military or in life in general?

Looking back on my short military career I approached it like failure wasn't an option, which is a good and bad thing. I was so afraid to fail I didn't go to Ranger School or SFAS. Even though I knew the cadre would have had to drag me out before I quit, I was still scared to fail. I've learned that failure is experience that isn't celebrated. Succeeding is easy, failure is hard, embrace it. Don't be scared to fail, you don't learn shit from succeeding.

With regards to your fourth point, I think we spend too much time developing our weaknesses and not enough time focusing on our strengths. I think we all should look back more on our successes and see what we can take from that to apply elsewhere in our lives.

With regards to your fourth point, I think we spend too much time developing our weaknesses and not enough time focusing on our strengths. I think we all should look back more on our successes and see what we can take from that to apply elsewhere in our lives.

I can get on board with that as well. Just seems you can replicate successes easier than failures. You haven’t achieved your failures yet. But then again planes land on air craft carriers all the time successfully, but that skill should still always be honed. I get your point.

Just seems you can replicate successes easier than failures. You haven’t achieved your failures yet.

No disrespect, but I don't understand these two statements. Could you elaborate? I'm confused because....I don't know why. I just don't don't get it.

...Just seems you can replicate successes easier than failures. You haven’t achieved your failures yet...

I'm a little fuzzy on this one, too. Failure, in my view, isn't something to be achieved. It's only a learning curve if you've exhausted every effort to succeed and then failed. Success is a relative thing, relative to the level of difficulty one has to overcome to achieve it.

Sure, for example a helicopter pilot can take off and land a hundred times. That to me is replicated success. If you’ve tried to pass a certain college class (any objective really) but haven’t I would say that’s a failure, and you haven’t succeeded. In today’s world you succeed more than you fail.

No disrespect, but I don't understand these two statements. Could you elaborate? I'm confused because....I don't know why. I just don't don't get it.

All I meant was I can see continuing to “take off and land the helicopter” and celebrating that success and learning from it. I think not developing our weaknesses would put us in a continual state of failure. If I can’t land the helicopter, we might want to work on that. That’s all.

I know I am way behind the curve here but I enjoy these.

Discussion Questions:
1) What should LT Faith do? Potential courses of action include taking one of the two options offered, suggesting a third course of action, or asking for more time to make a decision. There is a mortar platoon in the battalion, and Faith is a graduate of the Mortar Platoon Leader’s course. Maybe that would be a better fit for him?

Damn it; I was just going to write the "ask to be the Mortar Platoon PL" position before I got to the questions! I'm going to continue with that. Being the HQ Mortar PL will be handy for the young Officer as he moves through his Army career. He's been through Ranger School, even if he didn't pass it, LT Faith should have a good base of understanding of a line Platoon's battle drills. There isn't a whole bunch of Officers that have had mortar experience, which comes in handy in the battlespace. Not only that, he would be seen (in my eyes) as a well rounded Officer.

2) What are some of the positive and negative implications of the course of action you’ve suggested?

I'm not sure suggesting an option to the BC is a great idea, at least for the ones I've worked under or for. Speaking from my experience (as a 11C3O), just because he takes the weapons or mortar platoon doesn't mean he'll never get a "line platoon." One negative and positive I will say about taking the Mortar platoon; mortarmen, for whatever reason, are different soldiers. I've had PSGs that were the most squared away dudes in the Army and some total slackers. I've never experienced the "total slacker" 11B PSG. It's easier to be a slacker because no one understands what the chucks are doing. I'm not saying that to make it look cool; I'm saying it because some Soldiers can hide behind that mystery. If LT Faith went to a Mortar Leaders course, he could turn a lazy platoon into a great one. He can use his gained knowledge from IMLC to call out nonsense his platoon is doing. One example I will use to back this. During platoon live fires, a mortar section leader I knew would BS the company commander giving him some excuse why they couldn't do the movement with each platoon. There's an argument about limiting it to a few platoons, so you're dudes aren't burnt out (I get it). Instead, he chose to setup up his 60s and just sit on them as the platoons did their movements. That type of leadership kills basic level mortar training skills and decays unit readiness. But, LT Faith better be ready to catch some shit from his line Platoon peers, especially without the Tab.

last paragraph from the previous installment:

At last, the group made the final turn back to the company area. Ahead, Faith could see the other ability groups had already returned and were doing cool-down stretches. “Everyone on line!” Sergeant David called. Still running, the group lined up abreast so that everyone was even. Then Sergeant David called out, “Finish is the corner of the Delta Company headquarters building. And… go!” At his command, everyone took off running. Faith ran as hard as he could, determined to be the first to reach the finish line. He wasn’t. He finished third out of about nine people, a close finish to be sure but third nonetheless. As he crossed the line, he could feel what was coming next. He blew past the finish line corner and turned it, hoping he could conceal the fact that he was about to throw up.

(end)

Faith blew past the finish line corner and turned it, hoping he could conceal the fact that he was about to throw up. He didn’t make it. As soon as he stopped running, his vomiting started. Mercifully, it was over after a couple of heaves and Faith immediately felt better. Well, physically he felt better; he was pretty embarrassed by not finishing first in the sprint and then throwing up after. But frankly, it had been a while since he was challenged this hard in a group run. Those guys could move. If this was going to be PT every day, Faith thought, he was going to have to up his game.

“You all right there, sir?” asked one of the men who finished before Faith. He was teasing, but his voice and expression betrayed no malice. Faith smiled and waved him off, worried that responding would cause more vomiting. Faith straightened up and saw Sergeant Ellery, recently returned from his own ability group run, looking in his direction.

The platoon began to reform for final cool-down stretches, and Faith resumed his position at the back of the platoon. He reminded himself not to get too comfortable in that position, since he had no idea where the company commander was going to slot him. It wasn’t outside the realm of possibility that they could park him in the XO slot until he got through Ranger School. He would just have to wait and see.

When the final stretches were complete, Sergeant Ellery called the platoon back to attention.

“Sir, do you have anything?”

Surprised that he was being acknowledged, much less invited to speak, Faith quickly replied “No thank you, Sergeant Ellery. Good job this morning, men.”

“Squad leaders, take charge of your units,” Sergeant Ellery directed, and with that, Second Lieutenant Scott Faith’s first experience with “real PT” came to an end.

After the formation broke up, Faith thanked Ellery for inviting him to do PT with the platoon and asked where the rest of the company was training.

“The company commander gave everyone the morning off since we got back from the field so late,” Ellery explained. “But we have a PT test coming up in two weeks and we all wanted to make sure we’re ready.”

Faith was incredulous. “So your platoon did PT today and the rest of the company had the morning off?” he asked.

“That’s right, sir,” Ellery answered. “Fifth Platoon and a couple of guys from the other platoons who either really really like PT, or really really need it.” Faith didn’t really know how to respond. None of the Soldiers seemed particularly surly or upset about having to be out doing pretty tough PT when their buddies in the other platoons got to sleep in.

“I called the CO on Friday night and told him you’d be at PT this morning and that you’d be standing by outside his office at 0900 today to meet him,” Ellery told Faith. “He says he looks forward to talking to you and to getting you integrated into the company.”

Faith nodded. “Thank you. Any indication where I might go?”

“Well, sir, we have three open platoons and the XO position is about to be empty, so there’s no telling,” Ellery responded. “Is there anywhere in particular you want to go?”

“Wherever the commander thinks I’ll do the most good,” he said.

“Good answer, sir.”

“Well, wherever I go, I know I need to go and do more PT. Sergeant David and his guys really smoked me this morning,” Faith joked.

“Sergeant David heads up the ability group that has all of the guys training for the brigade’s Army Ten Miler competition. You did OK today, sir,” Ellery said with a smile.

The two men said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. Faith returned to his room in the Bachelor Officer Quarters to take a shower and to polish his jump boots before his meeting with his new company commander. Maybe today would be the day he’d long waited for: the day he met his first platoon.

(END)

Discussion Questions:

-What kinds of things should Faith be thinking about in terms of his first meeting with his new platoon?

-What do you think about the platoon doing PT when the rest of the company has the morning off?

-Should Faith have said anything else when Ellery gave him the chance after the PT formation?

We don't know this will be Faith's platoon, so I will withhold comment on the first question until we see where the CC puts him.

It's either a gung-ho platoon, or a problem platoon. Based on the performance and lack of attitude, it sounds like a gung-ho platoon. So good on them. Nothing wrong with that.

Nope, he handled it perfectly. Nobody wants to hear a drawn out, rambling, on the spot speech from a brand new LT.

“Well, wherever I go, I know I need to go and do more PT. Sergeant David and his guys really smoked me this morning,” Faith joked.

“Sergeant David heads up the ability group that has all of the guys training for the brigade’s Army Ten Miler competition. You did OK today, sir,” Ellery said with a smile.

The two men said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. Faith returned to his room in the Bachelor Officer Quarters to take a shower and to polish his jump boots before his meeting with his new company commander. Maybe today would be the day he’d long waited for: the day he met his first platoon.

As directed, Faith was outside his commander’s officer by 0900. Actually, he was there at 0845, but the commander’s door was shut and the light was off. A few Soldiers and NCOs came and went, but none of them had much to say to Faith as he waited. A little after 0910, a short, harried-looking, balding man dressed in sweaty PT clothes walked into the area. When the Soldier on orderly duty say him, he snapped to attention and shouted “Company! Attent….tion!”

Faint snapped to a rigid position of attention. “At ease,” the man commanded and he hurried towards his office. “You the new PL?” he asked Faith as the man unlocked his office door.

“Yes sir,” Faith responded, guessing (correctly, as it turned out) that this was his new company commander.

“Captain Jenkins,” the man said by way of introduction. “Good to have you on board. Have a seat while we figure out where you’re going,” he directed, indicating a folding metal chair in the hallway immediately outside of his office. Faith did as instructed.

A few minutes later, a group of noncommissioned officers gathered in the hallway, apparently waiting for a meeting with Captain Jenkins. Other than Sergeant Ellery, Faith recognized none of them. And other than Sergeant Ellery, none of them seemed the slightest bit interested in Faith. There were no other officers present.

“Come on in,” Captain Jenkins shouted to the gathered NCOs. “Let’s figure out who we’re giving waivers to this month, and where we’re going to put this new lieutenant.” Led by the first sergeant, the NCOs filed into the commander’s office, with Sergeant Ellery bringing up the rear. As he entered he began to close the door, but looked at Faith for a moment and then left the door slightly ajar. This way, although they made him wait in the hallway, Faith could hear most of what transpired. It was… educational.

Before the meeting actually started, there was a lot of good-natured banter and cajoling between the NCOs and Captain Jenkins. Topics ranged from sports teams, to whose Soldiers got in trouble over the weekend, to performance at PT. At exactly 0900, the meeting began.

The first order of business was handling promotion wavers. There are time in grade and time in service requirements for promotion to certain pay grades in the Army. Commanders are occasionally allowed discretion to promote high performing Soldiers early, but there is a finite number of waivers available in any given month, and usually far more deserving Soldiers than waivers.

As Faith would learn later that day, there were five platoons in Delta Company. Only two of them had platoon leaders, but all of them had platoon sergeants. And all of the platoon sergeants wanted the same thing: for their platoons to be the best.

The best platoon would naturally have the best Soldiers (and of course, the best platoon sergeant) and one measure of who had the best Soldiers was who got the monthly waivers to private first class, specialist, and sergeant.

“Sergeant waivers. This month I have one,” Captain Jenkins began. “Who gets it?”

“You should give Specialist Wilson the waiver, sir,” Sergeant Ellery stated matter-of-factly, before anyone else could chime in. This resulted in a chorus of good-humored groans.

“Your platoon got the last three waivers,” complained a voice that Faith would later learn belong to 2nd Platoon’s platoon sergeant, Sergeant First Class Manners.

“We’re going to get this one too, Sergeant Manners,” Ellery said confidently, as he stood up and confidently dropped a counseling packet onto the company commander’s desk. “Sir, these are 12 months of counseling files, showing a clear progression in SPC Wilson’s personal development and leadership potential. He won Soldier of the Month, completed Air Assault School, and is Master Gunner qualified on both the TOW and the Mark-19. He’s enrolled in BASE. The only thing holding him back is time in service. You waive that, you’ve got another great junior NCO in the company.”

“Any other nominations?” Jenkins asked.

“Corporal Spinner has been working his ass off for the last three months. He did almost everything that Wilson did, plus he scored ten points higher on the APFT. He’s a solid troop and we should give the waiver to him,” insisted Sergeant Manners.

“I’ve got Specialist Watts and Specialist Beers in First Platoon,” said another platoon sergeant. “They’re both good to go.”

“Anyone from 3rd or 4th Platoon?” Captain Jenkins inquired.

“No sir,” two other men in the room responded, near-simultaneously.

“OK, Sergeant Manners, Sergeant Bronze, let me see the counseling packets for your guys. I’ll go over all of them with the First Sergeant and we’ll let you know who gets the waiver.

The request was met by an uncomfortable silence.

“No packets?” Jenkins asked, sighing.

“Listen, I’m not unsympathetic,” Jenkins continued. “But you’ve got to give me something to work with here. You know my policy: good or bad, as far as I’m concerned, if it’s not written down it never happened. If you want to take care of your good troops, or get rid of your bad troops, you need to start putting things in writing.” He paused, and Faith her the sound of papers rustling. “Looking at this packet, and in the absence of any others, SPC Wilson is getting the waiver to E5.”

“OK then, next order of business,” he continued, “You may have noticed that there’s a new LT in the company and we have to figure out where he’s going. There are five platoons and two platoon leaders. We have three open platoons and we need a new company XO too. So… who wants this guy?”

Discussion questions:

1) “You know my policy: good or bad, as far as I’m concerned, if it’s not written down it never happened.” Is that a good policy for a commander to have?

2) What kinds of things do platoon sergeants look for in their new platoon leaders?

Back