Charleston Mass Shooting

It's not about guns or gun rights. This country has a race problem. I can't believe that we still do after all this time, but there it is.

It makes my heart hurt to think that a young man brought up in this day and age could have such hatred in him for people who are a different color than he is.

I have no idea what the solution is, but this reality makes me cry.
Maybe the race baiters should stop calling for a race war?

What? You mean like the shooter?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/19/us/charleston-church-shooting-suspect/index.html
A drunken Dylann Storm Roof boasted one night about an unspecified six-month plan "to do something crazy," his friend Joey Meek told CNN on Friday.

The young man typically kept to himself but a liter of vodka that night seemed to fuel talk about the return of segregation and vague plans "to start a race war," Meek recalled.

"He wanted it to be white with white, and black with black," Meek said. "He had it in his mind, and he didn't really let nobody know (what he was going to do)."

Meek hid Roof's gun that night but put it back the next day, he said. "I didn't take him serious."

It's not about guns or gun rights. This country has a race problem. I can't believe that we still do after all this time, but there it is.

It makes my heart hurt to think that a young man brought up in this day and age could have such hatred in him for people who are a different color than he is.

I have no idea what the solution is, but this reality makes me cry.

It's a daily occurrence. On all sides- white-on-black, and also black-on-white, and every other race. It's not an American problem, it's a human problem. In Europe, it's roving gangs of North African Arabs assaulting white Europeans; in China, there's a whole range of racist and ethnic bias categories. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_China

I could easily go on, but you get my point. I'm not in the least surprised. It (the issue) just doesn't touch many of us, so we don't pay any attention to it. But I bet LEO's on this board will attest to seeing it on a daily basis.

I see this on all sides of the racism issue. I've seen Mexican demonstration groups calling for race wars, Black African groups calling for militant uprisings, and whites.

"Mourning Charleston, Obama calls for stricter gun laws"

"We don't have all the facts, but we do know that, once again, innocent people were killed in part because someone who wanted to inflict harm had no trouble getting their hands on a gun," Obama said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/06/18/obama-charleston-statement/28919199/

Here we go again.......let's bury the victims first Mr. President.

Another "the police acted stupidly" moment.

People have hated people of another (insert category here) since the dawn of time, yet we're shocked when this happens?

That doesn't make it right, but that's just the way it is. You could kill off every (insert group here) and we'll still have haters looking for another group to slaughter.

I think one thing that bothers me about these events, specifically our reaction to them, is X on X crime is rarely mentioned. Some racist/ bigot/ whatever takes his/ her angst out on "the enemy" and people go crazy. Black on black crime for example rarely receives this much coverage. It results in a story here and there, but days and days of front page news? Nope.

These mass shootings are also rare compared to the day in and day out murder across our nation. A mass shooting means we need to discuss national issues, but the daily, garden variety violence doesn't even register?

Hypocrites.

Black lives don't matter. White lives don't matter. Gay people don't matter.....because all lives matter. People MATTER.

I'm an asshole and even I understand that basic arithmetic.

...even I understand that basic arithmetic.

Indeed you do understand it...and rightfully so.

The only difference is...you don't have a personal agenda that you are trying to push onto society.

You have thoughts that have the purpose of bettering society as a whole...which totally goes against the "machine."

I think one thing that bothers me about these events, specifically our reaction to them, is X on X crime is rarely mentioned. Some racist/ bigot/ whatever takes his/ her angst out on "the enemy" and people go crazy. Black on black crime for example rarely receives this much coverage. It results in a story here and there, but days and days of front page news? Nope.

Along those lines, has anyone heard of this mass shooting?

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/29369964/mantua-party-shooting

I'm betting no one has. It's not in the news story but one victim has been pronounced and another doesn't look good.

For context, this happened just a few minutes away from where @Muppet and @Viper1 and I had lunch. My guys are already on the hunt.

IBlack lives don't matter. White lives don't matter. Gay people don't matter.....because all lives matter. People MATTER.

Amen. It's a shameful comment on our society when anyone loses their life to needless violence.

I'm an asshole ...

Well, you put it out there. It's the first step on a journey of self-discovery and improvement. Congratulations, brother!

Back