Does anyone know how highly regarded this program is in the Intel community?

Yup. Go repeat your last year. Call them, tell them you want to do an MA and ask WTF you need to do to get in. Then do that.

Will do. I'll update this post if I get any information on job placement after graduation. That might be an indicator of how worthwhile the program is.

Will do. I'll update this post if I get any information on job placement after graduation. That might be an indicator of how worthwhile the program is.

My personal experience as far as my online Intelligence Degree.

A) I am getting much needed promotion points (a B.A degree adds 100 points... thats a good bit of points that can otherwise be hard to come by as a Reservist)

B) I have learned a lot about the U.S Intelligence Community and the IC of other countries as well. I dont know about about the other branches but with the Army once you are MOS-Q, do some NCOES classes and maybe some additional schools through foundry or whatever you dont get exposed to too much else. You learn your job. Any further knowledge is up to your own initiative and resources. I have learned a lot about the other INTs, reinforced (and even in some cases expanded) knowledge of my own MOS, refined my writing abilities and am networking with a great deal of folks in and out of Military Intelligence.

C) I didnt need any kind of degree to make the money that I am making as a civilian or to enjoy what I am doing anymore than I do but I certainly am glad I chose to pursue a degree in Intelligence. Its of interest to me (which causes me to have higher grades than I ever got in H.S lol) and I suspect I would be bored as hell with some other major.

D) As a Reservist, between $4500/yr in Tuition assistance and Federal Student Aid its essentially a free "education"

E) Im a hard working adult and I hardly have time to get out and enjoy the things that I enjoy doing sometimes. Between being self employed, Reserve duties, trying to stay in shape and have a LITTLE fun sometimes taking classes online is convenient and doesnt stress me out. Thats a big plus.

My personal experience as far as my online Intelligence Degree.

A) I am getting much needed promotion points (a B.A degree adds 100 points... thats a good bit of points that can otherwise be hard to come by as a Reservist)

B) I have learned a lot about the U.S Intelligence Community and the IC of other countries as well. I dont know about about the other branches but with the Army once you are MOS-Q, do some NCOES classes and maybe some additional schools through foundry or whatever you dont get exposed to too much else. You learn your job. Any further knowledge is up to your own initiative and resources. I have learned a lot about the other INTs, reinforced (and even in some cases expanded) knowledge of my own MOS, refined my writing abilities and am networking with a great deal of folks in and out of Military Intelligence.

C) I didnt need any kind of degree to make the money that I am making as a civilian or to enjoy what I am doing anymore than I do but I certainly am glad I chose to pursue a degree in Intelligence. Its of interest to me (which causes me to have higher grades than I ever got in H.S lol) and I suspect I would be bored as hell with some other major.

D) As a Reservist, between $4500/yr in Tuition assistance and Federal Student Aid its essentially a free "education"

E) Im a hard working adult and I hardly have time to get out and enjoy the things that I enjoy doing sometimes. Between being self employed, Reserve duties, trying to stay in shape and have a LITTLE fun sometimes taking classes online is convenient and doesnt stress me out. Thats a big plus.

Thanks for the input. I'll be enlisting in the reserves this summer and I've got the ball rolling for one of AMU's Intel programs.

Thanks for the input. I'll be enlisting in the reserves this summer and I've got the ball rolling for one of AMU's Intel programs.
Why not get a degree that will get you a job? Engineering maybe? You are joining the reserves which is part time, you are gonna need a job right?

Why not get a degree that will get you a job? Engineering maybe? You are joining the reserves which is part time, you are gonna need a job right?

I have a full time job working for a defense contractor that pays well but is not in the field I want to work in. I'm hoping to parlay the M.A. with experience (even just a little) in the reserves with the requisite security clearance in order to get my foot in the door with the Federal government/private sector career field.

Right now I can't go back to school full time and repeat the 3+ years it would take me to get an engineering or tech degree. I don't have the Calc II/Computer Science 101 etc. courses (most poli sci programs don't get much more math involved than introductory statistics courses) needed to get right into my major.

I'm hoping that I can parlay my online MA with my reserve exp. (however limited) and a security clearance to get my foot in the door with the Federal government or an intel support position in the private sector. One of the biggest hurdles is getting a security clearance, as many of the jobs I've looked at in the private sector won't even let you finish your application if you don't have an active clearance.

Right now I can't go back to school full time and repeat the 3+ years it would take me to get an engineering or tech degree. I don't have the Calc II/Computer Science 101 etc. courses (most poli sci programs don't get much more math involved than introductory statistics courses) needed to get right into my major.

I'm hoping that I can parlay my online MA with my reserve exp. (however limited) and a security clearance to get my foot in the door with the Federal government or an intel support position in the private sector. One of the biggest hurdles is getting a security clearance, as many of the jobs I've looked at in the private sector won't even let you finish your
application if you don't have an active clearance.

Cool, was just wondering

Back