Effective way to carry 22magazines

Idgaf about weight- think about how bulky that will be, how hard it will be to get Prone or move his arms, how much “ohjesusohgawd” will go into changing mags and then remember where the fuck he put spent mags... as all my lady friends tell me, “the issue is girth.”

It isn't that hard. I had to work with a 600 round mag loadout plenty of times when my SAW was down for whatever, and there wasn't a spare, yet we wanted automatic fire... My backup M4 hated it, but it did the job. Not the way I would WANT to roll, but hey, evety Marine (just) a Rifleman, literally, now.

I carried one of these for a couple of weeks at the behest of the XO. Across the chest on a sling, no tripod. Had an AG carrying det bags full of 40mm HE. You want to talk about heavy?

They tell you to do it but they don't tell you how. You figure it out.

XM174-2_zps9c0f9aa6.jpgxm174-1.jpg

"When they tell you to take the hill, you say, "Aye, aye, sir"...and you take the hill." -- William H. Dabney
th-1.jpeg

Last edited:
That linked feeder bag with the VTAC/synching system tailored in sounds like the best scenario to me; one for the gunner and A gunner is an easy 1200rd plus up. Im going to bring that up for our next OPR purchase. Im actually mad I didnt think about it years ago. It's got me thinking back to being a new guy on the team and having to carry the SAW + 1000rds on a fire and maneuver range rushing an entire machine gun range sprinting at mach-jesus speed with my element leader.

22 mags is only 60 more rounds than a basic combat load for a 249 gunner. Everyone panicshitting about omgweight...

I think most of that was joking.

When we carried our dismounted loads, they came in drums, (or for us and our cobbled together dismount 240, boxes).

The problem wasn't so much the weight but the form factor and the environment we were operating in. The bulk factor made moving through urban environments quickly a problem, in ways it wasn't during training in other environments, as it fucking caught on everything, and buildings and brick don't give like small branches, it made getting into some really good firing positions cumbersome and 'slow', when every second mattered. We had to pick between a tradeoff of ammo accessibility or fire position accessibility. I think this might be why they chose to break up the load in magazines instead of drums.

Although thinking back on my comment on the rounds I expended in my engagements, that wasn't a very applicable example, as I was just one machine gun, out of 3 machine guns on the tank, out of 4 tanks in the platoon, 2 of which per tank were stabilized firing systems with ridiculous accuracy (I had a hobby of drawing faces to check how tight my zeroing adjustments were). We collectively expended metric fucktons of ammo a dismounted squad couldn't hope to match.

I think most of that was joking.

When we carried our dismounted loads, they came in drums, (or for us and our cobbled together dismount 240, boxes).

The problem wasn't so much the weight but the form factor and the environment we were operating in. The bulk factor made moving through urban environments quickly a problem, in ways it wasn't during training in other environments, as it fucking caught on everything, and buildings and brick don't give like small branches, it made getting into some really good firing positions cumbersome and 'slow', when every second mattered. We had to pick between a tradeoff of ammo accessibility or fire position accessibility. I think this might be why they chose to break up the load in magazines instead of drums.

Although thinking back on my comment on the rounds I expended in my engagements, that wasn't a very applicable example, as I was just one machine gun, out of 3 machine guns on the tank, out of 4 tanks in the platoon, 2 of which per tank were stabilized firing systems with ridiculous accuracy (I had a hobby of drawing faces to check how tight my zeroing adjustments were). We collectively expended metric fucktons of ammo a dismounted squad couldn't hope to match.

Yeah...but you had a tank, you lucky bastard.

Back