Effective way to carry 22magazines

How about the idea of one of those camel backs pouches but is also a mini back pack that can Molle onto the back of the plate carrier? Just throw some mags into it. Only problem I see is being able to get to them if a buddy isn’t around. Also if that’s too much bulk on my back to throw on a ruck sack and start hiking if need be.... actually I think I just answerd my own question 😂

How about the idea of one of those camel backs pouches but is also a mini back pack that can Molle onto the back of the plate carrier? Just throw some mags into it. Only problem I see is being able to get to them if a buddy isn’t around. Also if that’s too much bulk on my back to throw on a ruck sack and start hiking if need be.... actually I think I just answerd my own question 😂

I was gonna say...

You're up shit alley burning through mag after mag...you're gonna want them where you can reach them.

Seems like no perfect way of doing this, I think the best bet is gonna be a chest rig attached to my front. Allowing for 14mags on my front and then the drum mag on my belt allowing for 6mags there. And the final 2 mags on the other side of belt in a regular pouch. The way I see it if I’m caught with my pants down and don’t have my plate carrier on I still have 8mags on my belt. The only issues I foresee with this is old school buddy rushing is gonna suck with having all that bulk on the front. And the second is maybe the drum pouch with 6mags being On the belt is gonna lopside it and be too much weight in one belt spot. I suppose it’s just gonna be trial and error. I’ll be sure to let y’all know what ends up working.

The bandoliers, for us, were just another improvisation, a way to carry the most mags and have them readily at hand. One of the things about infantry warfare is that infantry training doesn't always prepare you for the realities of actual combat operations. You find that guys will improvise, come up with their own solutions to re-jig gear, improve weapon deficiencies, shortcut standard procedures...or "lose" issued gear that adds weight and will never be used and should never have been issued in the first place. (Like gas masks, for us.)

@TT you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
The bandoliers, for us, were just another improvisation, a way to carry the most mags and have them readily at hand. One of the things about infantry warfare is that infantry training doesn't always prepare you for the realities of actual combat operations. You find that guys will improvise, come up with their own solutions to re-jig gear, improve weapon deficiencies, shortcut standard procedures...or "lose" issued gear that adds weight and will never be used and should never have been issued in the first place. (Like gas masks, for us.)

@TT you'll figure it out.

Oh Yeah our promasks were definitely more useful in our living areas inside the wire than out.

We uh.... we went through a lotta creatine.

And the creatine went a lot through us....

Either use a daysack or else farm some magazines out amongst the rest of the fire team who can get them to you as needed. Failing that, tell everyone to eat balls and demand something belt fed.

Seriously, 22 magazines carried on your person is absolutely absurd.

22 mags @ 30rds/per comes to 660 rounds by old math. Seems like an odd, random number—why not 30 for 900 rounds or 20 for 600? Round numbers are easier (not counting the magazine in the weapon of course).

Either use a daysack or else farm some magazines out amongst the rest of the fire team who can get them to you as needed. Failing that, tell everyone to eat balls and demand something belt fed.

Seriously, 22 magazines carried on your person is absolutely absurd.

30-rounders, yeah. Heavy. Another 20-25 pounds. I mean you want as much ammo as you can carry with all your other gear. But how mobile are you? With 100 lbs you waddle. If you sit down on the hump to take ten your buds have to help you get back on your feet. That's Grunt Life. One could argue that Grunt Life is pretty absurd to begin with.

The conundrum for our OP is that his Plt Sgt or whatever told him to carry 22 30-rounders and, in a typically military way, didn't explain how he was to accomplish that with his existing gear.

"...tell everyone to eat balls and demand something belt fed..." Yeah, I love that.

Last edited:
wkd_exoskeleton_092710~0.jpg

Raytheons gotcha OP

When I was in 5th Group I wore two SAW pouches on the front of my body armor. I think I could fit four abreast and one across the top in each pouch. One mag in the weapon and one mag in a pouch on the butt. Bandolier added an additional four. 16 mags total. That allowed for a lot of ammo to be carried, but it made it very uncomfortable to get into the prone. But since I expected to spend most of my time in a vehicle, it made sense.

On later deployments with the Task Force I wore a triple double-mag pouch on the left side (6 mags) and the SAW pouch on the right (5 mags). One mag in the weapon and another in the redi-mag (2 mags). Two bandoliers (8 mags). That's a total of 21 mags.

Here's the deal though: I was not having to maneuver with that weight and bulk. As a staff guy, I did zero patrolling. I'd "patrol" to the helo or the uparmored Hummer or the MRAP or whatever was taking me out on one of my very limited number of missions outside the wire. If I was going to be patrolling, I wouldn't carry that much ammo and definitely not in something as "floppy" as bandoliers.

Our M4s were full-auto capable. In a firefight, my role would be to help establish fire superiority and to break contact, so I probably wouldn't have a lot of ammo for very long. I was definitely not going to die from lack of being able to shoot back.

It turned out to be moot anyway; seven tours and never fired my weapon at anything more threatening than paper zero targets. Maybe I scared them with all that ammo? ;)

Depending on what else they make you carry, you might be best with two triple double-mag pouches (12 mags) one in the weapon and one in a redi-mag (2) and the rest in pouches on your pack. That way you'll have enough on hand when you need it in an engagement, but you'll be able to maneuver and get into the prone without a lot of stuff flopping around (and probably falling out) everywhere.

charlie C130 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds to me like opportunity is a'knockin', anything you can sketch out and have a local person make to T&E? Right when ALICE was being phased out and the first line MOLLE junk was coming out some of our guys were having custom stuff made. I had (still have, somewhere) a med pouch made that looks like the cross between a GP pouch and a NARP leg pouch.

22 mags. Damn.

I suppose you could also use a drop leg platform to add capacity. I wasn’t a fan of getting replacing the SAW with a magazine fed weapon.

Sounds to me like opportunity is a'knockin', anything you can sketch out and have a local person make to T&E? Right when ALICE was being phased out and the first line MOLLE junk was coming out some of our guys were having custom stuff made. I had (still have, somewhere) a med pouch made that looks like the cross between a GP pouch and a NARP leg pouch.

22 mags. Damn.

22 mags is only 60 more rounds than a basic combat load for a 249 gunner. Everyone panicshitting about omgweight...

22 mags is only 60 more rounds than a basic combat load for a 249 gunner. Everyone panicshitting about omgweight...

That's good context. I'll buy that. I only carried 15 mags, that was not a problem for me. The rest of my weight was made up with medical shit and helping carry SAW ammo.

Back