Effective way to carry 22magazines

22 mags is only 60 more rounds than a basic combat load for a 249 gunner. Everyone panicshitting about omgweight...

Nobody is "panicshitting" about anything, they're trying to help a guy who asked a legitimate question. Do you have anything useful to add in that regard?

Nobody is "panicshitting" about anything, they're trying to help a guy who asked a legitimate question. Do you have anything useful to add in that regard?

Well, there's something those 9 or more posts that mentioned/focused on weight repeatedly (Exoskeletons, wheelbarrow comments, etc) have missed.

What's the IAR weigh. What's the SAW it's replacing weigh.

There's about a 10 pound difference to the better for a Marine with an M27.

What's 22 mags weigh empty?

5.5 pounds.

So you're already about 5 pounds lighter out the gate on empty weight to empty weight with about the same combat load. Yeah, 22 mags is going to be janky. Even jankier if you pulled the string to use bandoliers for carrying (I would love to see someone with 22 mags in bandoliers, talk about sloppy the junk wagon... WHERESYOURFRESHMAG I think this might be one no this one wait wtf why am I being strangled)

6 dual mag pouches on a chest rig or whatever you're wearing plus some more on the ruck still won't weigh the same as what a SAW gunner's weapon and associated kit weight was. Spare barrels, anyone?

Everyone isn't mungo in the military like I was and I've come to realize that, but my usual SAW load was 800-1000 and I maneuvered faster than the rest of the squad save my TL who was around 30 secs faster in the 2 mile than me and was irritated that he plateued around 11:15 in that regard. If someone gets bitchmade by carrying a weapon system and it's associated equipment, either they need to train more (and harder) or they need to be swapped out to a duty position their intestinal fortitude can accomodate.

When I carried the Pig (my MOS), I had a 100 rd link belt for the gun in an ammo box attachment to feed into the loading port, two extra 100 round belts and a can of 762...with other belts distributed organically throughout the team. I don't know how much everything weighed because there were no scales in the boonies, but whatever it weighed, along with all the other shit I had strapped on me, it was heavy. Whatever. Heavy is Life.

Last edited:
I’m actually surprised the Marine Corps hasn’t issued something to solve this problem. Even if it’s imperfect.

I’m actually surprised the Marine Corps hasn’t issued something to solve this problem. Even if it’s imperfect.

How are high-capacity mags, like the 100-round drum, these days? I remember there being reliability issues in years past.

Look into a "linked feeder bag/ammo bag", you can carry it like a satchel. I believe we used Tactical Tailor. I used to carry this bag if I was working the MK48 solo on a support by fire mission. You can modify the strap with a cinch (think VTAC/Blueforce/etc style sling) so it is cinched tight on you during movement and gives you the ability to rapidly loosen when needed. Not sure how many mags you can fit in the bag but it should give you some capacity.

Look into a "linked feeder bag/ammo bag", you can carry it like a satchel. I believe we used Tactical Tailor. I used to carry this bag if I was working the MK48 solo on a support by fire mission. You can modify the strap with a cinch (think VTAC/Blueforce/etc style sling) so it is cinched tight on you during movement and gives you the ability to rapidly loosen when needed. Not sure how many mags you can fit in the bag but it should give you some capacity.

It’s too bad we can’t put the ammo in some kind of belt and feed it into the weapon from some sort of drum.

Question...has anyone shot 22 mags strait in this girl.....?

:-o8-):-x;-)

We were in some contacts where we burned through just about all the 556 each, all but 50-rnds of MG ammo and literally all of our 40mm HE & lume and had to unass the AO to rv with emergency helo resup...not sure I kapeeshed your question Mr. Bob.

Last edited:
We were in some contacts where we burned through just about everything, 15 or 20 mags each, all but 50-rnds of MG ammo and literally all of our 40mm HE & lume and had to unass the AO to rv with emergency helo resup...not sure I kapeeshed your question Mr. Bob.

Our sister battalion had a platoon of 26 guys get ambushed by 75-100 insurgents, that fight lasted over 6 hours without ammo resupply, CAS, indirect fires or supporting units.

Tales of that ambush are pretty freaking epic, the platoon leader took out a machine gun positions by himself with a pistol after being wounded. Gun trucks completely out of ammo, etc.

Michael McCarty - Recipient - Military Times Hall Of Valor

We were in some contacts where we burned through just about all the 556 each, all but 50-rnds of MG ammo and literally all of our 40mm HE & lume and had to unass the AO to rv with emergency helo resup...not sure I kapeeshed your question Mr. Bob.

Apologies....I was just asking if the M27 would support 22 mags pumped thru it back to back.....the internet said yes so in reality it was a dumb question that I worded poorly.

Sorry!

:hmm:

Apologies....I was just asking if the M27 would support 22 mags pumped thru it back to back.....the internet said yes so in reality it was a dumb question that I worded poorly.

Sorry!

:hmm:

No problem. I was smoking crack and juggling pomegranates when I read your post.😁

Well, there's something those 9 or more posts that mentioned/focused on weight repeatedly (Exoskeletons, wheelbarrow comments, etc) have missed.

What's the IAR weigh. What's the SAW it's replacing weigh.

There's about a 10 pound difference to the better for a Marine with an M27.

What's 22 mags weigh empty?

5.5 pounds.

So you're already about 5 pounds lighter out the gate on empty weight to empty weight with about the same combat load. Yeah, 22 mags is going to be janky. Even jankier if you pulled the string to use bandoliers for carrying (I would love to see someone with 22 mags in bandoliers, talk about sloppy the junk wagon... WHERESYOURFRESHMAG I think this might be one no this one wait wtf why am I being strangled)

6 dual mag pouches on a chest rig or whatever you're wearing plus some more on the ruck still won't weigh the same as what a SAW gunner's weapon and associated kit weight was. Spare barrels, anyone?

Everyone isn't mungo in the military like I was and I've come to realize that, but my usual SAW load was 800-1000 and I maneuvered faster than the rest of the squad save my TL who was around 30 secs faster in the 2 mile than me and was irritated that he plateued around 11:15 in that regard. If someone gets bitchmade by carrying a weapon system and it's associated equipment, either they need to train more (and harder) or they need to be swapped out to a duty position their intestinal fortitude can accomodate.
Idgaf about weight- think about how bulky that will be, how hard it will be to get Prone or move his arms, how much “ohjesusohgawd” will go into changing mags and then remember where the fuck he put spent mags... as all my lady friends tell me, “the issue is girth.”

@TT Think an assualt pack / backpack / grabbag solution might be your best and easiest option. Figure you're gonna be rocking an aid kit, NODS w/mount, dump bag, and maybe a grenade pouch or two on your plate carrier. Plus I'm willing to bet that there might be some other stuff that you or command want to put on your plate carrier as well.

Easiest thing might be to carry the standard 6 mags on your carrier, a separate mag on your person, and the other 15 mags can go into a dedicated compartment of an assault pack or grab bag that's integrated with your hydration system. If you're doing lots of patrols without a ruck and you're limited to using issued gear, this might be the easiest option. (plus you'll have room for snivel gear and licky's and chewy's)

If you're doing lots of movements with a ruck, I'd invest in a pack that you can snap/adhere to the top of your ruck. Alternatively, you can leave the rucks top compartment empty (or the top space) and stash your assault pack with mags and hydration bladder in the cavity and run the bladder hose under the flap.

Lastly, see if you can find the guidance that your Company and Battalion have put out regarding the IAR's mag loadout. This is just me, but I'd check to see how the other IAR guys have set their gear up in case everything else fails. At this point, I figure you've already got you're plate carrier set up.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back