First Post

I'm not sure why you think this is a dick measuring contest. Of course you are more qualified than me, more experienced, and you can surely name countless comrades who are as well.

I am glad you've already judged me based off of an introductory post, it makes it easier to smile under a 65lb ruck.

Factory jobs can pay quite well. I didn't give you a full job history because I think it's irrelevant, but I did earn enough to pay my way through school, travelling, and am debt free 18 months later.

A bad choice doesn't constitute a drinking problem, it constitutes a bad decision. One that I got to learn from the hard way. I won't get into the details, but there were no lawyers involved in my case. I got the opportunity to go through a year and a half of shit to pay for my mistake, but I learned a lot from the experience.

It's too bad that you're so quick to judge, but I understand this being the internet and all. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by me.

Alright. I'm typically a lot nicer than some here, so I want you to read your posts above. Put yourself in the position of those you emulate- namely Crip and XSFmed- and imagine your response. If you can honestly tell me (or yourself) that you would treat such a response as anything other than pseudo A-type posturing, then we have bigger problems than originally thought.

I am a young PJ. These gentleman you are talking to- the very forum you posted this intro on- is full of people that have quite literally dedicated their lives to their profession. Your post was greeted with such contention because it was wrong. I wouldn't think to speak to anyone on here the way you did. Enough on that.

Read this- https://shadowspear.com/vb/threads/self-entitlement-things-every-fng-should-know.9700/#post-136947.
And this- https://shadowspear.com/vb/threads/welcome-to-the-shadowspear-sof-mentor-program.9595/

Don't tell me you have. Apparently you didn't get the message. If need be, PM me and we can chat out of the public eye about how you can fix yourself. Part of being a grown up is owning your mistakes and fixing them without the slightest bit of attitude, drama, or condescension. You failed at that part.

Point taken, back to lurking.

This post was 3 posts too late. You'd be surprised how far a "Roger that" goes. And a "I'm wrong, I own it, I'll fix it" goes even farther.

Interesting side note...one of my teammates from high school, a year behind me, who joined the Army right after he graduated recently attended SFAS and got selected. He received 18B for his MOS and Russian for his language. Its kind of cool to personally know someone out there nutting up and getting it done... or getting it started I should say.

Before I came in to be a PJ, an older very SF experienced gentleman called me smug. Smug. I still reflect on that till this day because that was devastating.

I would recommend that you hold these men and women with the same regard. The words they have given you are not to be thrown back in their face, but accepted as the best possible guidance you can receive at this point in your life.

The quicker you learn that you don't know shit, the quicker you'll hear the "pop" of your head coming out of your ass.

And the first thing I tell all new PJs;
"Your job is to shut the fuck up and be a sponge."

Good luck with your endeavors and I hope the advice from everyone here resonates with your core.

I actually jumped the gun and posted a thread before posting here (see: http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/my-brushes-with-sof-a-tragic-tale.10072/) and did not realize this until a fellow devil dog was put on blast for doing the same thing. Anyway, as the above thread indicates, Im looking to go into MARSOC as an Intel guy. I've applied before and been denied, I have a good idea of what I need work on from talking with some senior folks at the command, and just hope that I'll make it on this third go-around. I want to be the best enabler-intel-weenie that ever lived!

Long Version:

When I was 18 I became randomly inspired to go and join a service. I was disillusioned about college life and wanted to "shape up"--become more responsible and basically transform into my dad, who had served 8 in the Army as a Tanker. I believe when I walked into the Army recruiter right away I said "I wanna be infantry".

I ended up telling my dad shortly after. He and my mother had their reservations for obvious reasons--I was immature along with my dad not agreeing with the Army being "right for me". My dad spent a lot of energy talking me out of joining the Army in particular, and instead had me check out the Air Force. His idea was for me to get out after having served honorably with a job skill that I could apply in the civilian world. Alright, so I went along with that and decided that a mechanical job in the AF was a good deal and signed up.

I went to boot camp and obviously had behavioral issues. My TIs put a lot of effort into me and I ended up somehow not being recycled despite our flight having a high turnover rate. I got to the tech school shortly thereafter and began my training. Now at tech school naturally you have a lot more freedom than boot camp, so your true colors show. I ended up getting in trouble a decent amount for being a non-punctual Airman and overall being mediocre. I did not do well during tests and ended up failing a couple early on.

After each time I failed (two sections,) I was counseled and told "Hey you need to do this now instead of this. Ask for help if you need it. Etc etc." I ended up bettering myself a bit and stuck it out until about the last section (I can't remember specifically which section, it has been 5 years now.) Somewhere in the middle of my time there I ended up getting a Letter of Reprimand for not doing/completing homework once--I can't remember if it was the whole class that also received an LOR, but I believe it was a good chunk of us. I'm not sure why we all collectively decided to not complete our homework. For whatever reason I decided to fail that one and ended up going to up to the LT to talk about that. I was disenrolled from the tech school and left in limbo for a while.

Sometime later, maybe a month or so, I was brought in to speak to the First Sergeant. I believe he started the conversation with, "You know you're being separated, right?" My response, "Uuh... no First Sergeant." I was under the impression, like some other Airmen who failed out of school--that I'd simply be getting another opportunity in another job school. Such was not the case with me.

So: I had on my record 2-3 LOC (letters of counseling) and 1 LOR (letter of reprimand.) I had kind of an obnoxious personality with authority but was never written up on account of simply that--obviously it led to my separation, though. My LOCs and LOR reflected my poor commitment and lack of maturity. I was told by the First Sergeant that I was being separated with "Entry Level Separation*" (yes, this exists.) This would supposedly turn into a General Under Honorable Conditions after so much time. My Reenlistment Eligibility or Reenlistment Code was 2CC.

wikipedia said:
*Entry level separations, or uncharacterized discharge, are given to individuals who separate prior to completing 180 days of military service, or when discharge action was initiated prior to 180 days of service. This type of discharge does not attempt to characterize service as good or bad.

I definitely made mistakes and had some character flaws that I needed to work on. The NCO that I dealt with outside of the schoolhouse primarily put a lot of effort into shaping me up and I felt ashamed particularly in regards to him. More or less, though--I wasn't ready for service even though I thought I was. It's a good thing the AF separated me because I probably would not have been a good Airman.

I ended up getting out and felt like crap for a while. I moved in with the in-laws and moped around in a depressed state for a good 5-6 months. I pretty much spent every night staring at the ceiling feeling like a failure.

At some point I started talking to the recruiters again and was putting feelers out to see what it would take to rejoin the USAF. I was told time and again that the USAF wasn't really needing bodies all that bad, (which was true,) because of the cut downs on personnel they were engaged in. (Any USAF here might remember that--I was sepped in early '07 and tried my options rejoining late '07.) Anyway, they weren't really interested in taking a "special case" rejoin on account of them meeting their quotas pretty easily.

I went into the Marine recruiter and brought in all my paperwork. The first thing I said to SSgt Spencer was "Before we start talking, I'd like to find out if I am eligible to join." So SSgt and me sat down with my paperwork and looked up my Reentry Code--no one else in the office had ever dealt with it before, either. He figured out that I'd require an interview with an officer and a signature from the 1 Star that handled recruiting in my section. I had to make official statements regarding my "resolve to succeed" and my commitment because of my history.

I was told that I would likely need to join Open Contract because if I wanted to serve so badly I would take any job available. I'm not sure who began that train of thought or whatever, but it seemed more than fair at the time. Becoming a Marine, no matter the MOS, appeared to me as exactly what I needed. I sought to mold myself into a good man firstly, and I believed striving to be a good Marine would take me along that route.

So I went to boot camp and got motivated. I didn't secure a leadership position because I knew I was not ready for that. I moved onto MCT after finding out my MOS would be Ordnance. I went through MCT kind of bummed that I wouldn't be assigned to a grunt unit. Again, I probably wasn't ready for that at the time.

So after I went through my MOS schools with no issues other than a minor physical injury I hit the Fleet Marine Force. I was mentored and throughout my time in the Marine Corps have attempted to mold myself into the model Marine.

That is not to say I didn't have issues as a Lance, though. I definitely had a problem with what I perceived to be bad leadership and I revealed my attitude to certain individuals. Luckily though, I was never slammed with paperwork and grew from the experience. Being mature about perceived poor leadership is one of the foremost things I like to address with my junior Marines. Most of the time you just have to suck it up because that's the way things are--keeping in mind your lawful and unlawful orders, etc.

I ended up picking up--and whether or not I deserved to or not is beyond me, but a certain Sergeant had a talk with me about it. He told me, as do our promotion warrants, "Whether or not you are a bad Lance Corporal has nothing to do with whether or not you are a good Corporal." I definitely didn't see myself as a bad Lance and neither did several others whom I considered level-headed individuals at the NCO/SNCO level--but there were some that did.

Anyway, I've tried to develop myself as much as possible since picking up. I've tried to integrate my poor experiences with the good and shape up the kind of leadership I think not only molds good Marines under my charge but also inspires my peers/superiors.

I went to A&S back in January/February. I made it all the way through but was a "non-select". I am going back and want to seek to fill in the holes of my "game" in the meantime through some mentorship/advice.

Perceived Holes In My All-Marine Concept:
1.) I don't have outstanding attention to detail. This is one of the things covered in my counseling at the end of A&S. I would like to improve this with any tips. Obviously I know that I just have to nut up and grind when I set to it.
2.) I would like to introduce more "selling" to my leadership style. I was told to check out some "salesman approach" books. Anyone have any good examples of this that I can set to studying?
3.) Physically, I'd like to explore some good routines for improving my swim time. I understand the run/swim/run idea, but I'm not sure how to step up my swim game other than following the prep guide.

Goals Involved with Special Operations:
1.) Much like my pursuit of martial arts, I think of myself as a mold of clay that I constantly wish to improve. I think an environment with other like-minded individuals that always wish to strive to that next level is where I want to be.
2.) I am interested in a specifically combat-oriented MOS. I was strongly considering Recon or something like Forward Observer (they are quite different I know,) but at the same time I wanted to go a step above. The worst that can happen is non-selection!
3.) If I'm going to make a career out of this Marine thing, I can think of no better place to be for the long haul. The "big boy attitude" is very appealing. Obviously, that means I'd have to crack down and accept the responsibility that comes with the "hands off" approach.

Long Version:

This post gives us all a much better appreciation for who you are, and as such makes us a lot more likely to help you out than in your other post about being a POG. Do you see the differences. Your attention to detail looked pretty good in your post. Practice good attention to detail in everything you do, and it will be better.

This post gives us all a much better appreciation for who you are, and as such makes us a lot more likely to help you out than in your other post about being a POG. Do you see the differences. Your attention to detail looked pretty good in your post. Practice good attention to detail in everything you do, and it will be better.
Roger that. I won't post at 0200 anymore! :)

For those who do not know me; I am 10 year vet of the US ARNG, Infantrymen with 8 years AD time of deployments, instructor time and a few short deployments state side. Got hurt on my last OIF deployment due to a vehicle roll over, and I am at a point in the treatment/MEB process to either man up or tap out.

I am posting this intro IAW the rules to get some feedback on possible SOF and or SOF support MOS option to consider staying in the Army. I will start another thread in here on the specifics of my questions and the advice I am looking for.

As to why I think I could/would be an asset to the SOF community, I feel that I do possess the potential to excel in the SOF community and I would like to challenge myself above what the conventional side has offered me thus far. I do feel I have proven myself on the conventional side to be tactically and technically proficient as an Infantryman and as a leader of Infantry soldiers.

My first deployment was a mission that I loved, I was able to experience a little bit of everything (CT,COIN, FID, PSY, QRF for SOF) and it put a thought of “this is how it is” in my head. To be very honest it made me a cocky arrogant shithead, and with the help of the forum and the members I have come back to reality. Also my last deployment was an eye opener with the mission of convoy security, and all though I know and understand its importance I would not jump at the chance to serve in that capacity again.

I would like to be where the action is, be a part of a mission that I get to see and feel the impact of my hard work. I would like to work with the best soldiers and leaders the Army has, and most of all I would like to test myself as to what my true capabilities and limitations are.

I hope this is sufficient for a mentorship intro, if not I will answer any specific questions. Also I would like to thank you guys for opening this forum up and taking the time to mentor people and pass on your experience/knowledge.

I was corrected and informed I needed to introduce myself-

I'm a Marine Reservist in UT. My MOS is infantry. I've been a Marine for about four years. I love it. I joined right out of high school thinking I wanted to go to college so I chose the reserves. That wasn't the right choice for me. After I deployed to Iraq (only once so far) I decided I wanted a bigger challenge. I love being a grunt and it's hard work but I want to train everyday not one weekend a month. I tried to put in a transfer to go Navy so I could go to BUD/S but not surprisingly that request was denied. As soon as I found out the MARADMIN allowing reservists to go into MARSOC was published. That's my current plan. It took a ridiculous amount of time to get my package moving... so I've had lots of time to prepare for A&S. Right now I'm looking at the class the end of this summer. Currently I run, bike, swim, hike and do calisthenics. If you want a detailed plan of what I do for PT I'll happily post it here. Other than that I have a couple of college classes a week. Nothing to crazy.

forgot a part...

My goals are simple- get selected at A&S.

Rucking is my weakest event. I just finished one hike today and I came in under my goal time. Now I just need to keep practicing that pace until I've got it down. All the other events I know I'll be doing I've been practicing... I found this article-http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/11/marine-marsoc-prep-course-110210w/ and I've worked until I'm doing better than the average times here. I also study MCI's and the like during the week with my homework, and I practice Land Nav when I get a chance. I think I'll do alright at A&S, but I also understand that what I'm attempting is not going to be easy. I'm always open to guidance from anyone who's done this kinda thing before. Thanks!

Covering the bases for future reasons:
Family legacy.
Father was infantry in 4ID and then 101st in Vietnam.
Uncle was AF in Vietnam.
Brother was nuke on the Enterprise this century.
Cousin was first casualty of GWOT.
3 cousins currently in AF.
Newest addition, cousin at USMC boot.
Little brother eyeing the AF.

2 years ago I enlisted GTEP for Pararescue, loved it, embraced it: hernias screw shit up. Was dead-set to crosstrain back into it, but I have as of late begin to lean more towards changing branches and pursuing something slightly different but still SOF. Partly because a WO slot interests me. Long story short, first it was USMC Commission (eyeing Recon), then Army (Ranger first, SF long term), and now I'm looking more closely at Navy EOD (would likely apply for BUD/s thereafter since as a kid, a SEAL is what I wanted to be.) I have 4 years left of my initial enlistment, so besides training up, and staying motivated, there is little to do now, and plenty of time to do it. I may end up changing my mind while overseas and still try and go back to AFSOC. In the mean time, this site has given me helpful pointers, and kept me from losing the last shred of motivation I had when arriving where I am. To me, the most important longterm part is, getting out into the suck, I yearn to make use of my hands.

Cliff note version: I want a SOF job, need to pick a specific, but the basics are the same regardless.

Thanks for the help you offer myself and anyone else seeking real mentoring from this site.

Hey guys, this will be my second go-around as per Freefalling's suggestion.

Pistol_Pete:
I hope my intro post covered most of the grey area you wanted to explore. If there's another topic or something you'd like broken down in further detail please let me know. I don't take the term "POG" very seriously (as I think it shouldn't be,) and try to have a bit of humor about life in general--so dealing with the ups/downs brings out a less serious side of me.

This is a long response and it's addressed just to Girl Friday. Nobody else need take time to read it should they not be so inclined nor is it directed towards anyone else.

Meh... well you didn't snivel about the "Enhanced Interrogation" you got from me, as mild as it was. So you get an attaboy for that. You sound like you are sincerely trying to figure out why you have been a soup-sandwich to date. While sales technique books don't hurt anything other than perhaps taking up your time, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than discussing your life story or buying "salesman technique" books. You won't learn the secret of being a successful Special Operator there. You and your peers are not going to be able to "sell" your way through Special Operations entirely by hook, crook or manipulation. The main ingredient only comes from within and not everyone has it. And people just have to realize that. Not everyone is cut out for Special Operations. That's why they call it "Special". There's an inside joke in there somewhere.

In a nutshell, my pre-SF training "mentoring" from SF friends of mine was basically this: "get shit hot in the subject matter, get in damn good shape, go for it". That was it. And they were right. During training there was a lot more mentoring - and a lot more getting your ass smoked mentally, physically and any other inventive way they could come up with.

At least it's not quite as bad as this, or at least they won't admit it:

"We aren't going to try to train you, we're going to try to kill you."
- Soldier I, SAS

You need to start moving towards thinking, being, acting, delivering - at a whole different level that is miles above where you seem to be at the moment, if you want a snowball's chance in hell of making it into Special Operations at the team level. And that's the best place to be - at least most of us think so. Or in a Ranger unit. Or the most elite unit in the Marines - if that's your bag.

I'll let you in on a little secret that you probably have already figured out. Special Ops guys often have big hearts and soft spots for the lame duck and will take a "little brother" under their wing. Don't try to use it and abuse it, game the system or try to manipulate it. Cause you will get caught at some point - by others. Whether it be your peers or other Operators. Not everyone is going to be your buddy. And SF guys are known to work good cop / bad cop on you as well.

In the end it all comes down to PERFORMANCE. I think most people know that - including you.

I'll let you in on another secret. Special Operations guys like and respect good troops no matter what their MOS is.

Before you can become a good Special Forces soldier, you must be a good basic soldier. That's always been my opinion and belief. If one can't grasp the basics then they have feet of clay and no solid foundation.

Who cares? You got that right. No one cares much about your boo boos. That's a good place to start.

In the end, the "Diploma" talks, bullshit walks. And the "Diploma" is just the starting point of a long journey. "Get shit hot in the subject matter, get in damn good shape, go for it".

Just because right now I'm not serving you milk and cookies and think you are a slacker doesn't mean you should be afraid to ask questions. I see you continue to do so. You have some balls in that respect. Especially when you take it with a good attitude. You have shown that you can at least take a bit of honesty, scrutiny and ball busting on an internet forum without crying about it. So one would assume you could handle that in training to some extent. You already went through A&S once and are trying again so you say. You get points for that in my book. To make it to the end, it only gets harder from here. Besides, the fact remains - no one, other than those you disclosed to, knows your real name at this point. You are nothing but a factious screen name who I hereby nickname Girl Friday. Live with it. There are worse nicknames. So the only thing really taking the crap - is your anonymous screen name. If one's anonymous screen name gets all butt hurt in the virtual world and can't take some feedback and assessment, then one probably has issues with it in real life too. Yet you are back, and displaying a good attitude in this thread. That puts points back on your side.

My advice is keep your yap shut about your prior service. Why bring it up? It won't win you any admiration at the moment. That's just the inescapable, unfortunate brutal truth of it. Unless a prior service record is glowing and puts you in a positive light - to me, bringing it up doesn't help your new shot at a career. There are plenty of others out there who won't accept someone with prior service who didn't complete without a straight, clean, HD. Both in the military and civilian life. Again - sucks to be you, but it's just brutal truth. And no amount of sugar coating can change it.

That you were able to get back in the military and get this far tells me something...I'm not sure what. A desperate recruiter trying to make a quota missed for a third month straight? Maybe you are a good manipulator or "salesman"? Something. But you did it. It also shows you made it through Marine boot camp and your MOS training. You managed to get them let you in so like it or not YOU are the one who gets the credit for that feat. Because that used to be damn near impossible. Anyway - you are the one who brought it up, so now its out there warts and all. After this I'm not saying anything more about it. If it was me I wouldn't say squat about it in the first place. I would just keep my mouth shut, perform and make it happen - whatever it is "HOOWAH" that you are trying to make happen.

You have to understand the mentality of the folks you will be dealing with in your future. They want and strive for PERFECTION. Perfection will never be achieved in any human endeavor of course but they strive for it and try to get as close to it as possible. That is the mindset. That's always the goal. Drill and train and train some more until the task and unit is as damn near perfect as it can get. Because that way, when it all goes to shit - the severity of it all going to shit is mitigated to the extent possible.

The Special Operations and elite units I was raised up in were one where the standards were high, kept high, and no apologies were ever made for keeping them that way. And no excuses were ever accepted. If not, then it's worthless and cannot be labeled "Special". Things like your previous hiccups will only cause you to be put under a microscope with a much higher power magnification. And when trying to make it through this type of training - that won't help. Learn to keep certain secrets. Loose lips sink ships - and career paths. Things as simple as basic OPSEC and being able to remember what you are told what you cannot talk about. If the Jihadists plan and execute hits on various military and police training and recruitment centers overseas eventually they may try to do it here as well. Always looking for softer targets but with the biggest points they can get. Not everything you have done has to be laid out - in context of what we are discussing. Some things are best left talked about as little as possible since they have nothing to do with the task at hand. The life of a Special Operator is indeed secretive. There is a damn good reason for that. Just focus on the fundamentals. Don't get bogged down in your personal drama or that's exactly what it will become.

Standards - always uphold the standards. Never waiver, never bow to the PC tards that are constantly trying to mold the military into what they are. The standards are degrading and slipping enough throughout our entire society to include whole swaths of the military. After all, using all the latest arguments - why not allow women in Ranger Battalions right down there on squad level loaded up with a mortar base plate and other fun items or better yet commanding Ranger platoons or ODA's? Or on ODA's or in MARSOC or Marine Infantry? The arguments are essentially all the same. Just keep lowering the standards enough so the world can be "inclusive" and not hurt anyone's widdle feelings. USASF did the same thing, lowered the standards for the swim test back in the late 90's as I recall, for "political correctness" reasons. Someone please tell me they are not still doing that crap and have restored some standards.

Back