First Post

I knew i was cool for a reason! Talk to your recruiter, and have fun. You will, most certainly, give your life to this career field. Well, you will if you wanna be any good at it. You can half ass this thing and get through it, trust me. But, if you really wanna live the motto, you will undoubtedly sacrifice family time, your own time and well being. That whole "personal desires and comforts" thing. Those assholes even put it in the Creed. ;)

You will find no better life, i will tell you that. For all the bitching, sitting, waiting, training, hoping, getting shut off, etc- the times that repay you will leave you in debt again.

Good Evening Gents,

I recently commissioned in to the USMC, waiting on TBS. The end goal is to get a shot at MARSOC - MSOB. As stated in the locked thread, I'm currently focused on the 25m target, aka working my ass off at TBS and getting the 0302 MOS. I'm grinding at PT everyday (being a coach at a crossfit affiliate doesn't hurt) and reading everything military/leadership orientated that I can.

I'm fortunate enough to have a retired recon Captain currently mentoring me, as well as training with a retired FR sergeant and retired SEAL at my box. The incredible google provides an a answer for nearly every question I've had, so you won't be seeing any dumb questions coming from me. I am and will continue to be a lurker on this site, but the knowledge from those who have been there is a tremendous asset for those of us striving to work alongside you. Thanks for setting this up, and I salute everyone who has or is serving our country. Semper Fi.

Good Evening Gents,

I recently commissioned in to the USMC, waiting on TBS. The end goal is to get a shot at MARSOC - MSOB. As stated in the locked thread, I'm currently focused on the 25m target, aka working my ass off at TBS and getting the 0302 MOS. I'm grinding at PT everyday (being a coach at a crossfit affiliate doesn't hurt) and reading everything military/leadership orientated that I can.

I'm fortunate enough to have a retired recon Captain currently mentoring me, as well as training with a retired FR sergeant and retired SEAL at my box. The incredible google provides an a answer for nearly every question I've had, so you won't be seeing any dumb questions coming from me. I am and will continue to be a lurker on this site, but the knowledge from those who have been there is a tremendous asset for those of us striving to work alongside you. Thanks for setting this up, and I salute everyone who has or is serving our country. Semper Fi.

Keep PT'ing hard. Forgive my ignorance, but are you not trying to go straight to recon? Would that not be a better way to go about getting into MARSOC? I am just a stupid Army type, but we have a few Recon types and they should check this out, maybe they know more. Either way good luck, I think you are on the right track.

Keep PT'ing hard. Forgive my ignorance, but are you not trying to go straight to recon? Would that not be a better way to go about getting into MARSOC? I am just a stupid Army type, but we have a few Recon types and they should check this out, maybe they know more. Either way good luck, I think you are on the right track.

The only way I'm aware of a semi-direct route to recon on the O side is through the ground intel MOS (0203). However, I've been told it is a roll of the dice in regards to actually working side by side with reconnaissance Marines... not to mention that team leaders are generally SNCOs and are obviously more than capable of operating independently in the field. Essentially, many 0203's never see the outside of the S-2 shop. (This is regurgitated gouge from the men I know with recon experience and the various military forums) If I am missing details or just totally wrong, please correct me.

To be clear, I'd be fucking ecstatic at a opportunity for recon, but I think gaining experience at the grunt level would provide incredibly valuable knowledge which no military school can fully provide. I'd like to be confident that I'm worth two shits as a platoon commander before making the jump. I'd believe any combat outfit deserves that.

I'm a Military kid (I hate the whole brat thing), grew up on AF bases- the military is what I know and what I feel comfortable around. My dad was the deputy at the SOCOM surgeon's office and has continued working at SOCOM, and I had a lot of SOF guys around growing up who have had big impacts on me.

I want to be a SEAL or Recon Marine because of the challenge. I think going so far out of my comfort zone is the best way to develop as a person and feel that I would best serve my country as special operator, and I feel it is a feel I will excell in. I'm terrible at conveying stuff online- the best way to describe my motivations would be to watch/read "Fight Club" (bad analogy)

I wrestled, swam, ran track, played football and soccer and did rock climbing when I was younger; I feel this has provided a good basis for to move onto a combat arms job.

I'm here to learn from you guys and not from a book written about you or through the various service recruitment sites. I have the basic knowledge on standards and missions and know what it takes to accomplish my goals. I'm here for motivation.

I hope this was a good post for this thread!

My name's Robert, I'm 20 years old and I'm currently a student in college.

My interest in Army SF derived from my interest in terrorism, which, in turn, was derived from the actions committed on 9/11. I wanted to know why 19 guys from halfway across the globe were motivated enough to do what they did. I found out, and then the focus shifted on what could I do to help stop these guys. I knew that the GWOT wasn't won alone by the barrel of rifle (though that helps). My research led me to Army SF. They were, as my research showed me, the most effective unit in combating both terrorism and insurgency. The opening events of the war in Afghanistan still to this day amaze me. The methods used by Army SF are entirely unique and entirely effective. I knew immediately that that's where I had to be. That's where I could be most effective. That's where I could help my country the most. This was my inspiration from a clean cut analysis. I have more motivation though. My grandfather instilled in me at a young age the idea of what a "man" is. He takes responsibility for his actions and he stands on his principles of duty. He never quits, never relents. He says he'll do something, and it gets done. I've admired and adopted these principles in my own life. I've always wanted to be that guy people go to. I've wanted to be relied on. I've wanted to serve in all scenarios. Screw the easy road. Let's see what the hard road can dish out. The only way I can explain it, though somewhat cliche, is that it's a fire inside of me. A passion. Additionally, the I looked at pictures of ODA's. I saw 12 brothers. I've only read stories of the fraternity that is built under the duress of combat, but I know I want to be part of it. I want to be there for the guys around me. Loyalty.

I might have ranted there, but in all honesty I could have gone on for much longer. Currently, as aforementioned, I'm a college student. I've got a couple years till I graduate. Thanks to the wise advice of members on this board, my sights are set firmly on my 25m target. I've still got plenty of time left here in college.

The goals that I have currently set are pretty straight forward.
1) 2 years left of school- use it wisely. Good grades, PT, PT, PT, PT. Gym, cardio, diet. Only thing I would like to add to this is perhaps some rucksack work down the line closer to graduation.
2) Graduate and enlist on Option 40. I just got finished writing a paragraph about how I feel set on Army SF, and I am. That being said, I want to BRING something to Army SF. The Rangers can give me the best "in the box", as MAJ Martin and MSG Dodson call it, skillset available. I don't want to come off as someone who looks to use the Regiment as a skipping stone to SF. Far from it. SF is a long term goal and the experience from time spent with the Rangers will only strengthen me.
3) Attached to goal two, would be successful completion of qualifications for the Regiment.

That's about all of it off the top of the head. Great thread. It's interesting to see other guys in similar positions.

I don't have a long drawn out story about my life dream. My biggest motivating factor is my faith. The words of Christ portray a life of sacrifice and brotherly love. The teachings of the prophets reflect strength and courage in the face of challenges. Where some try to paint a pacifistic picture of the biblical teachings, I took a different lesson. I want to dedicate myself to a higher cause. To give of myself so that others can live free. I want to be a man of the highest honor and integrity. I want to live a life of self sacrifice for the benefit of others. I'm currently reading a book titled "The Heart and the Fist" which has helped me focus on how my service would impact others. I would recommend this book to anyone thinking about a SOF career and current operators especially officers.

My athleticism plays a secondary role. I'm always looking for a new challenge. Marathons, triathlons, adventure racing, all of it. I love the competition and the thrill of winning. What's even more fulfilling is overcoming a personal weakness and showing others how if I can do it, then so can they. To sum it all up, I believe it would be a sin to be ready, willing, and able but sit idly and do nothing.

I don't have a long drawn out story about my life dream. My biggest motivating factor is my faith. The words of Christ portray a life of sacrifice and brotherly love. The teachings of the prophets reflect strength and courage in the face of challenges. Where some try to paint a pacifistic picture of the biblical teachings, I took a different lesson. I want to dedicate myself to a higher cause. To give of myself so that others can live free. I want to be a man of the highest honor and integrity. I want to live a life of self sacrifice for the benefit of others. I'm currently reading a book titled "The Heart and the Fist" which has helped me focus on how my service would impact others. I would recommend this book to anyone thinking about a SOF career and current operators especially officers.

My athleticism plays a secondary role. I'm always looking for a new challenge. Marathons, triathlons, adventure racing, all of it. I love the competition and the thrill of winning. What's even more fulfilling is overcoming a personal weakness and showing others how if I can do it, then so can they. To sum it all up, I believe it would be a sin to be ready, willing, and able but sit idly and do nothing.

I picked that up the other day at the book store and it seemed like a good read.

I joined the Navy at 19 with big dreams of being just like some character in a "Rogue Warrior" book. I was going to be some HSLD, top secret, ninja SEAL Operator. Then reality kicked me in the nuts and I did the first 3.5 years of my enlistment in the Fleet Navy. I allowed myself to indulge a bad attitude about the whole situation and I did a lot of things during that enlistment that I am not proud of. I was angry all the time, I was off and on with PT, I drank heavily for a few months, I got into a fight and went to Captain's Mast for it. I was walking that shitbag line and I didn't care. I thought I was better than most of the other people I served with just by virtue of being a wannabe. Probably the only reason that I didn't get into more trouble was the fact that I was considered a SME on my job. I finally got a shot at BUD/S near the end of my enlistment. I didn't prepare properly and I carried my attitude with me out to Coronado. Looking back now, I see that not only was I not there for the right reasons, I was not even close to being ready. I knew I needed extra work on the O-course, but when the Instructors would open it up to us on the weekends and take their time to be out there to give instruction, I was too busy getting drunk at a strip club or chasing pussy at the beach. We had a Warrior's Dinner for the whole class (just us, no Instructors) before we classed up for Indoc, and I skipped it to go get laid. I ended up quitting on the first day of actual BUD/S (shocking, I know). I kept my attitude and ended up getting sent back to the East Coast to join a ship on deployment. I coasted through the last few months of my enlistment and got out with no plan, blaming the Navy for everything. A month or so after I got out I was arrested for a DUI. That's where the wake-up call started. I realized I was dangerously close to permanently fucking up my whole life and I needed to decide who I was going to be. I took my punishment from the arrest and from there I started to make changes. At this point I had been close to enlisting into the Alaska National Guard as a 19D. The DUI made sure that didn't happen though, and now I realize it was for the best. I spent the next year or so getting my shit together and learning from my mistakes. I made the decision to stop drinking so much and so often. If I was driving I limited myself to 1 drink. I started working out again, following the crossfit.com workouts. I did a lot of thinking on my enlistment in the Navy and why I wanted to be a SEAL. I came to realize I was doing it because as an ignorant 19 year-old I thought the SEALs had the toughest training so that's what I wanted to do. I would never have admitted out loud (I at least knew that much) but I thought the SEALs were the "best" SOF unit and the other ones just couldn't measure up because they didn't have Hell Week. I had faulty reasoning and an immaturity at the time that I see now meant I was not ready for BUD/S, or any other SOF Selection. Now, 7 years after I first joined and 3 years after I got out I feel like I have grown a lot. I am somewhat ashamed of my service now. I am not ashamed that I served or that I was "just" a Gunner's Mate, but I'm ashamed of how I conducted myself while I was in. I realize the mistakes I made, and I realize that I can be better than that. I started to get the "itch" again and was looking into my options for the military. I gave BUD/S a lot of thought and came to the realization that I would only be going back because it bothered me that I had quit, not because I really wanted to be a SEAL. I have a friend who is an 18D with 2/20 and I talked with him at length about quite a bit of this stuff. The example that he set, hearing his stories, and doing a lot of reserach led me to the decision to go for Special Forces. It feels much different this time around. He knew me back when I was in the Navy and he agrees that I was nowhere near ready then, but that now is a good time for me to do this. I feel very sure of this decision. The SF community is where I want to be. I want to be more than some dude that kicks in doors and shoots people in the face. So I am preparing for that now with the goal of being enlisted and having orders to SFAS within 9 months. Looking at my post I realize I sound like a less than ideal candidate given my fuck-ups in the past. The best I can tell all of you is that I am a much different person now. Things will be different this time.

My story is quite long so in the interest of hating to type I will give you guys the cliff note version.

I was born the son of a Ranger (dont get too excited Boon...) and was raised as my father before me in the knowledge that freedom isnt free at all. Given this outlook, I wanted to be a soldier from a very early age, but my father wanted me to be a doctor. So to make my father's wishes a reality I attended college instead of enlisting like many other young men from my graduating class. I became a firefighter/paramedic part time to support my college drinking habits. After college I moved back home to take care of my aging father.

Fast forward to 2001.

I had been a paramedic/firefighter for 10 years when 9.11 occurred. I watched the events unfold in the fire station and immediately knew I was in the wrong career field; but thought, I be damned if that is going to stand in the way. Shortly thereafter I began contacting recruiters from all the services to see what each had to offer. I looked at every SOF option there was at the time and had it narrowed (or so I thought) to Ranger Regiment as a medic or become a PJ. I didnt know exactly what I wanted but knew it needed to be something where I could still practice medicine. During one of my visits to a local NG recruiter I learned of the NG's 18X program; that recruiter put me in touch with MSG Edwards at 20th SFG(A). We talked and/or exchanged emails twice a week for about 6-months while I researched SF and asked for advice on another SOF centric site - many of the same personalities which were present there are present here. (Thanks again to those who helped with my journey; you know who you are.)

The maturity of the guys, the types of missions they undertook, their rich but relatively short heritage, and varied training is what drew me to SF. With that, I made a decision, enlisted and haven't looked back since.

All that said,, I sure wish I was in my 20's again so I could have a longer career in SF.

My story is quite long so in the interest of hating to type I will give you guys the cliff note version.

I was born the son of a Ranger (dont get too excited Boon...) and was raised as my father before me in the knowledge that freedom isnt free at all. I wanted to be a soldier from a very ealy age, but my father wanted me to be a doctor so instead of enlisting out of high-school like many other young men from my graduating class I took went to college where I became a firefighter/paramedic to support my college drinking habits.. After college I moved back home to take care of my aging father.

Fast forward to 2001. I had been a paramedic/firefighter for 10 years when 9.11 occurred. I watched the events unfold in the fire station and immediately knew I was in the wrong career field, but I be damned if that was going to let that stand in the way. Shortly thereafter I began contacting recruiters from all the services to see what they had to offer as I knew I wanted to do something but wasn't really sure what yet. I looked at every SOF option there was at the time and had it narrowed (or so I thought) to ranger Regiment as a medic or become a PJ; I didnt know exactly what I wanted but knew it needed to be something where I could still practice medicine. During one of my visits to a local NG recruiter I learned of the NG's 18X program; that recruiter put me in touch with MSG Edwards at 20th SFG(A). We talked and/or exchanged emails twice a week for about 6-months while I researched SF and asked for advice over on another SOF centric site many of whom are on this site. (Thanks again to those who helped me get to where I am; you know who you are.) The maturity of the guys, the types of missions they undertook, their rich, but relatively short heritage, and training is what drew me to SF. With that, I made a decision, enlisted and havent looked back since.

That having been said, I sure wish I was in my 20's again so I could make a longer career of this.

Funny, I'm an EMT-B and just spent the last year trying to get on the local FD. Although the last month I kept thinking I was selling myself short. FF is a great career though and I've yet to meet one that didn't love their job.

Here's my story as an 18x hopeful:

I entered college on an art scholarship and pursued interactive media design from the get-go. My sophomore year I took a poly-sci class, joined the College Democrats, and started to pay a lot more attention to the news and politics. That year I went to Mexico and saw true poverty for the first time. Although I've seen ghettos in Chicago, New York, Detroit, and Indiana, I'd never seen abject poverty like you find in failed nation states. So that experience got me much more interested in international politics and economics. Unfortunately by this time I'd already completed half my major and was still on the art scholarship. So I worked on completing that, and the next year I went to China, then Greece the next year, and took some globalization and history classes. By the end of my junior year I'd lost all my passion for web design and just skated by on mediocre grades to complete my degree. After getting out of school I floated around working dead end jobs like factory line worker, food service, etc. until a year after post graduation I started getting interested in the military. My girlfriend at the time (and current love interest, soon to get married) graduated a year before and put together her application for Navy OCS. After 2 years of frustration for her, and a year of headaches for me, she got accepted (she had to get 3 waivers) and earned her commission last December. After researching the Navy with her and having a few friends sign up, I got more serious about it and got very interested in the Navy SEALs. I had big plans to get a commission and be a SEAL officer, but I was very naive, impatient, and dare I say stupid.

After learning that the process would likely take 1.5-2 years to get accepted to OCS on a SEAL contract, I started looking at the USMC and talking to a recruiter in Indiana. I got my application put together and got all of my reference letters ready. My girlfriend got stationed in San Diego, so I moved here with the intention of submitting my application to the west coast Marine OSO in San Diego. I called them and was not so politely informed that I was absolutely a no-go because of a DUI arrest (non conviction) and that I shouldn't bother trying because they are the number 1 recruiting office in the U.S. Well, that pissed me off a little bit because I knew from the OSO in Kentucky (closest recruiter to me at the time) that I could get a waiver, so the SD office was simply unwilling to consider working with me without even talking to me in person first.

With crushed dreams I went back to square 1. Along with my girlfriend getting her commission in December, my dad passed away from throat cancer Dec. 30th, and it made me realize that I hadn't really done anything with my life. I thought about that for a while, and realized that it wasn't about making him proud, it was that I hadn't accomplished anything to make myself proud. The reason why I wasn't proud of getting my B.S. was because of mediocre grades, and those weren't for the lack of talent but as a result of a lack of discipline. That was a serious character flaw, and I knew that I needed to change something in my life and make myself a better person. Since then I've been working hard on bettering myself and decided that there was no way I wasn't going to be in the military

I found out a friend who had signed up with an 18x contract had just finished airborne school and was starting SOPC, and I'd realized that I hadn't given the Army a chance. I read a ton about what SF did, and found out that it was exactly what I wanted to do. So I talked to a recruiter 2 miles from me and had a great experience with him and started pursuing the 18x option. Took the ASVAB and did well, and am now waiting on some other stuff to finish up the process so I can get a contract to sign.

I could expound upon why I think SOF is the most important aspect of modern military, but that would make an already long-winded post into a dissertation, but suffice to say that I feel like with the advent of unconventional tactics and terrorism that warfare has been irrevocably changed and greater emphasis needs to be placed on understanding local cultures and working with local populations.

Chimbaktu...

I hate to tell you this... you need to quit thinking about jouning Special Forces right now.

If you get an 18x contract, I believe you will quit because you will be tried, sorely tried by the rigors of the 2 years of training for SF. You have a grey mark on your record (yes, a DUI arrest be looked at hard since you need a security clearance) that already places you behind a long line of stellar candidates.

SF can't be your last chance choice, it has to be your first choice - you have no way of understanding the reasoning behind nor the absolute truth of this statement.

BTW, your opinions on why you think anything about SF are wholly irrelevant because you know absolutely nothing about SF.

The Senior SF Engineer Sergeant on my first Team was a Summa Cum Laude MS in Chemical Engineering... I have more degrees than you do... and multiple MOSs, 2 of which are SF MOSs. You are not impressing any of us. Your story is full of FAIL, self pity and selfish direction changing.

Rethink your goals, trying to out macho your girlfriend is not a good reason to join SF.

Don't even think about whining in regard to this post, none of the SOF qualified people are going to disagree with me.

I'm not sure why you think this is a dick measuring contest. Of course you are more qualified than me, more experienced, and you can surely name countless comrades who are as well.

I am glad you've already judged me based off of an introductory post, it makes it easier to smile under a 65lb ruck.

I'm not sure why you think this is a dick measuring contest. Of course you are more qualified than me, more experienced, and you can surely name countless comrades who are as well.

I am glad you've already judged me based off of an introductory post, it makes it easier to smile under a 65lb ruck.

Hey numbnuts, this is not a dick measuring contest - I gave you a fair assessment of your reasoning behind wanting to be SF. SF is not a path to make up for past failutes or self validate, it is a calling, not a proof of anything.

Yes, I judged you off of your introductory posts - that is why there are two required; one for the board itself, and one for this forum - I've had to assess much better people with less self serving whiny bullshit than you posted. Telling me that you ran a couple of marathons and a couple of triathalons means less than nothing - being in shape is a requirement, nothing more; quitting everything you have attempted - college (yes, you quit on your degree) Naval OCS with a SEAL option (yes you quit) and Marine Corps OCS (once again you quit because you didn't like what a single recruiting station told you) says more about your character than you are willing to admit to yourself.

You showed you are an immature, self entitled rich kid (sorry, nobody travels that much as a college student/graduate who works low wage jobs without parental help or selling drugs) with a drinking problem (your parents probably hired a good lawyer to get your DUI dropped) and a bad attitude who now feels he has to one-up his girlfriend by going into some sort of Special Operations ... I just distilled your own words and did my job as an assessor of people who have expressed a desire to join SF.... Wait until the review board gets a hold of everything I'm not seeing and your inflated sense of self worth... you will be lucky to get to the 82nd to start.

If you are training with a 65# ruck to start, you are a bigger dumbass than I thought.

Other SF/SOF people - please chime in - if you believe me to be wrong in my assessment, I will apologize to the young man.

Hey numbnuts, this is not a dick measuring contest - I gave you a fair assessment of your reasoning behind wanting to be SF. SF is not a path to make up for past failutes or self validate, it is a calling, not a proof of anything.

Yes, I judged you off of your introductory posts - that is why there are two required; one for the board itself, and one for this forum - I've had to assess much better people with less self serving whiny bullshit than you posted. Telling me that you ran a couple of marathons and a couple of triathalons means less than nothing - being in shape is a requirement, nothing more; quitting everything you have attempted - college (yes, you quit on your degree) Naval OCS with a SEAL option (yes you quit) and Marine Corps OCS (once again you quit because you didn't like what a single recruiting station told you) says more about your character than you are willing to admit to yourself.

You showed you are an immature, self entitled rich kid (sorry, nobody travels that much as a college student/graduate who works low wage jobs without parental help or selling drugs) with a drinking problem (your parents probably hired a good lawyer to get your DUI dropped) and a bad attitude who now feels he has to one-up his girlfriend by going into some sort of Special Operations ... I just distilled your own words and did my job as an assessor of people who have expressed a desire to join SF.... Wait until the review board gets a hold of everything I'm not seeing and your inflated sense of self worth... you will be lucky to get to the 82nd to start.

If you are training with a 65# ruck to start, you are a bigger dumbass than I thought.

Other SF/SOF people - please chime in - if you believe me to be wrong in my assessment, I will apologize to the young man.

Factory jobs can pay quite well. I didn't give you a full job history because I think it's irrelevant, but I did earn enough to pay my way through school, travelling, and am debt free 18 months later.

A bad choice doesn't constitute a drinking problem, it constitutes a bad decision. One that I got to learn from the hard way. I won't get into the details, but there were no lawyers involved in my case. I got the opportunity to go through a year and a half of shit to pay for my mistake, but I learned a lot from the experience.

I'm not sure where you are getting the machoism or one-upping my girlfriend from. Granted, she is one tough gal...

It's too bad that you're so quick to judge, but I understand this being the internet and all. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by me.

...It's too bad that you're so quick to judge, but I understand this being the internet and all. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by me.

The cadre in the SFQC will be quick to judge as well and they will not be as easily impressed with you as you are with yourself.

You need to learn to Shut The Fuck Up and take criticism; this isnt a college environment you are applying to.

And it does appear you are trying to one-up your g/f... It did after all take her going to OCS for you to give the military a thought...

Now, go read more and post only when you have found a means of climbing out of the hole your intro's and follow on posts have dug for you.

Crip

I could expound upon why I think SOF is the most important aspect of modern military, but that would make an already long-winded post into a dissertation, but suffice to say that I feel like with the advent of unconventional tactics and terrorism that warfare has been irrevocably changed and greater emphasis needs to be placed on understanding local cultures and working with local populations.

This paragraph alone speaks volumes to me about your understanding of the military. You couldn't more wrong if you tried.

Back