First Post

...I want a SOF job, need to pick a specific, but the basics are the same regardless...

Personally I don't think you know what you want.

The job has to want you as much as you want it. And it needs to be your desire to do a specific job that directs you, not just be in a Unit or wear a specific color hat.

I came into SF because I want to do UW. I didn't get into doing UW because I am in SF. If the Rangers did UW I would be a Ranger. If being a high-speed CSAR guy was what appealed to me (it did somewhat at a much younger age) I would have looked into PJ's... or if freezing my ass off in cold water and having surfer hair appealed to me I would have looked into the SEALs, etc, etc... You get the picture.

And no, "the basics" arent the same regardless they are where you begin realizing there are differences in specific SOF or conventional units.

Personally I don't think you know what you want.

The job has to want you as much as you want it. And it needs to be your desire to do a specific job that directs you, not just be in a Unit or wear a specific color hat.

I came into SF because I want to do UW. I didn't get into doing UW because I am in SF. If the Rangers did UW I would be a Ranger. If being a high-speed CSAR guy was what appealed to me (it did somewhat at a much younger age) I would have looked into PJ's... or if freezing my ass off in cold water and having surfer hair appealed to me I would have looked into the SEALs, etc, etc... You get the picture.

And no, "the basics" arent the same regardless they are where you begin realizing there are differences in specific SOF or conventional units.
My apologies, I know the specific SOF units and conventional units have differences, and that these go straight to the core of training. I meant the basics about physical preparation, having the never quit mindset, pushing when you think you can't push anymore, and learning everything you can at all times.
My indecisiveness has arisen from a twofold desire: wanting to do UW, and also a deep rooted need to save people. Having said this, I am well aware that CSAR is the place I belong. But CSAR does more of the latter and less of the former to the best of my knowledge. I want to experience both. My intent HAD been to crosstrain to CCT for a tour, then cross to PJ ultimately. There are other influences now that are pushing me to consider changing branches, influences I do not care to discuss on the site. So, because I have looked at leaving this branch, I have been trying to find what would instead be something to set my sights on. If I go Navy, medical will still be something I deem as critical to become proficient in, if I decide Army, same thing. Long story short, some recent upheaval in my life has left me needing to focus solidly on one path again, which I readily admit I currently am not, and I agree with you. I assure you the hat, or the name of the unit by no means is my motivation.
I know the Navy has a PJ-similar/equivalent rate. But that puts me right back at not getting involved in UW. I don't care about glory, I certainly don't try to make my name known. But there are things that I want, and two very different directions no matter what. I have racked my brain trying to come up with the best path possible to meet all my goals. I've tossed the idea of getting a commission.
Lost my train of thought and feel like I was starting an argument, which is not my intent, I was trying to clarify to an extent.

Pistol_Pete:
Essentially, the only reason I was interested in checking out the "selling" leadership style, (which we are taught along with the telling/democratic/participation styles at the NCO school,) is because that is what I was counseled on after A&S. They wanted to see more "selling" from me. Or at least less "telling". I'm not sure why, it's just what I was told. They were pretty bare bones about what I could improve--and it's mostly stuff I already knew.

I bring up my prior service because that is the same thing I had to do when putting in the paperwork at the A&S Prep Course. I had to write an autobiography and if I had ever been prior service, etc. I don't consider it a "selling point" for myself, as I mentioned--it's actually something that has made me need to prove myself more than the next guy in most situations. It's generally not something I bring up in everyday conversation, and most people find out because other people know--and tell others. The most common reaction is incredulous surprise.

If I end up putting something down about my prior service it'll likely be along the lines of how I've learned from the experience and how I am different now. I don't think I can really escape the all-seeing all-knowing records check of SOCOM.

I appreciate the words of wisdom from a FAG. I'll try and take it to heart.

...I am well aware that CSAR is the place I belong. But CSAR does more of the latter and less of the former to the best of my knowledge. I want to experience both....I know the Navy has a PJ-similar/equivalent rate. ...
Um, what? So you know that CSAR is the place you belong- but did you just say that you assume PJ's do more rescue and less combat? Since the "best of your knowledge" doesn't include the "search" function to this site, I'll include the two latest stories.

http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threa...ostile-forces-to-retrieve-fallen-angels.9900/
http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/pjs-recieve-bronze-stars-w-v-from-cjcs.9724/

What in the hell is it that you think a CSAR team does when deployed? Granted, with the MEDEVAC mission as it stands currently, every single mission isn't the showdown at the OK Corral, but I would be careful how you phrase your assessment that my career field isn't seeing much combat. Cause that's what it looks like, and that pisses me off.

Let me see if I have this right- you were going to sign up for CCT, go through 2 years of training, get to a unit, get a deployment in so you could experience combat, then crosstrain into Pararescue? I'll be honest, I am so pissed off by this statement that I am not sure which part I am more mad at. They're both that easy, huh? Just gonna do both? Oh, cool. :rolleyes:

I suppose it's neither here nor there, since it seems to be your intent to get out anyway. I will say this- it would have been AWESOME to see you complete that plan, since there is only 1 person I have ever even heard of going from PJ-CCT or vice verse.

And what Navy rate is "similar/equivalent" to a PJ? They have SAR swimmers, non combat. They have Navy SEAL medics- those guys run with the Teams, they don't do CSAR. Or direct support of other services. So which Navy job are we talking about here?

Pistol_Pete:
Essentially, the only reason I was interested in checking out the "selling" leadership style, (which we are taught along with the telling/democratic/participation styles at the NCO school,) is because that is what I was counseled on after A&S. They wanted to see more "selling" from me. Or at least less "telling". I'm not sure why, it's just what I was told. They were pretty bare bones about what I could improve--and it's mostly stuff I already knew.

I bring up my prior service because that is the same thing I had to do when putting in the paperwork at the A&S Prep Course. I had to write an autobiography and if I had ever been prior service, etc. I don't consider it a "selling point" for myself, as I mentioned--it's actually something that has made me need to prove myself more than the next guy in most situations. It's generally not something I bring up in everyday conversation, and most people find out because other people know--and tell others. The most common reaction is incredulous surprise.

If I end up putting something down about my prior service it'll likely be along the lines of how I've learned from the experience and how I am different now. I don't think I can really escape the all-seeing all-knowing records check of SOCOM.

I appreciate the words of wisdom from a FAG. I'll try and take it to heart.

Good response. Like I said, you got yourself back into the service, and in the end - you are the one who would appear to get the most credit for that because somehow you did it and it used to be impossible but perhaps the standards have "changed". I understand the need to relay your prior service when directly asked by a government official, but my point was - you should limit that information on a need to know basis. In the end, you do what you wish. But that would be my advice. Start learning to discern what information to disclose and what to not disclose. That is actually a huge controversy going on in our government and military right now over that very subject. People are disclosing too much information. Personally I don't think you need to introduce that in an open forum, but that's just one man's opinion. All right, you are taking it like a man and are showing a good attitude. Good job. You just might surprise everyone, including yourself.

Guess I'll throw my name in the hat here. I'm a 22 year old, currently serving in the Irish Defence Forces for a little over 3 years. Since I passed out of Recruit Training, I've been an Infantry kid. Mortar's are my thing at the moment although I should be making the jump to Recce Platoon at the start of July. Everything going well, I hope to head to Selection for the ARW toward the end of next year.

Since I was a kid, I've always wanted to be a soldier. Right through school, all I had in my mind for when I graduated, was being a soldier. While I made sure to never let my own personal standards slip when it came to my education, I always knew what I was gonna do afterward. I had a Vice Principal who wanted me to study Law at college and after hearing my plan, told my Mother I was one of the greatest waste of a mind he'd ever seen. I had people tell me the Army wouldn't be for me as I was too headstrong, opinionated etc. all of which just made me more determined to do well. After school, I made sure to give myself a year of just having fun, spending time with friends, causing mayhem etc. before making the jump to the military.

Once I started Recruit Training, I realised it was everything I wanted. I genuinely enjoyed "the suck" as it was, realised I was somewhat good at the job we were learning to do and although I had my dark days, I always cracked on. My desire to attempt Selection came from two places, upon meeting members of the ARW and from my Platoon Sergeant during Recruit Training. To this day, my PSG is still my inspiration everyday I spend in the job. He never showed weakness, never allowed his own personal standards to slip and made sure everything his troops did, he was right there with us. He was an outstanding leader, an outstanding man and an outstanding role model. I first came across members of the ARW as a Recruit when they gave us a talk on the ARW itself, as well as a weapons display etc. and have come across them throughout my career. Seeing how those men conducted themselves and just how good they are at what they do, was an eye opener. It made me realise that just existing in the Infantry wouldn't be enough for me, Selection is something I need to do, regardless of whether I get selected or not. Upon reaching my unit, I realised I was actually good at my job. I've always been among the top lads when it comes to PT, gained a reputation upon my superiors for being good at the job and constantly tried to better myself. Our Recce Platoon Sergeant tried to talk me into going for Selection last year but I personally felt I wasn't ready, both physically and mentally.

My reasons for going on Selection comes down to my own personal desire to be the best I can be and to test myself to my limits. I believe in the pursuit of excellence. If I never went on Selection, I know when I reach a later stage in my career, it's something I'd deeply regret. I feel there's more to me than just being someone in the Infantry and there's only one real way to find out.

I'm posting here as while I'm obviously not applying for any US SOF unit, I feel there's still lots of info for me to soak up on here. So I'm looking to just be a sponge, take in the advice from those of you that have done the deed and ask the questions when I can.

Hey everyone, just wanted to get my intro up here. I'm 16 and just finished my junior year and am trying to join when I'm 17 to get a SEAL challenge contract as soon as possible. I've always been interested in the military ever since i was a little kid. Every guy on my mom's side of the family has been in the military and i always wanted to follow that tradition. I grew up playing with GI Joe's and trying to get my mom to take me to Ft. Bragg to go the the museums there. Growing up my parents always had me into sports and doing a lot of stuff outside and especially around the water. This definitely brought me down the special ops route because it taught me what the word "trying" really meant and taught me about pushing myself to the absolute limits, and also taught me how much better success feels after putting in a ton of effort in. I had my first brush with the spec ops world after seeing some of the footage of the PFC Lynch rescue while watching the news with my mom when i was younger.

I knew I really didn't want to go the lawyer/doctor route that everyone thought I would go into. I've always been patriotic and new I would regret not joining but my "moment of calling" came last year around 9/11 after seeing some of the images of people jumping out of the WTC for the first time and it really pissed me off and haunted/motivated me to want to do something about it, and make the people who did this pay. I researched all my options and chose the spec ops route because I liked the way they did things and their unconventional approach to war. After that I narrowed it down to the SEAL's mainly because of their maritime nature and their primary mission of direct action. I want to go into the SEAL's because i know everyday will be something different and provide a challenge for me and push me to be the very best that I can be while serving my country, but I'm not going to lie the idea of being able to work in every corner of the globe in any environment and fly in helicopters and scuba dive sounds pretty cool, and is a big part of why i want to become a SEAL. After Bin Laden was taken out a few weeks ago, it reinforced that I made the right choice and there were still a lot of other SOB's that needed to pay for what they've done. I know it's only going to get harder from here, but I know in my heart it's what I want.

I think everyday about being a SEAL but right now my 25m target is getting my contract before setting my sights on anything else. I'm following a fairly strict workout program to try and reach a 790 pst score before BUD/S. Right now my PST is:

Pushups: 55

Situps: 60

Pullups: 8

Swim 10:40

Run: 8:40

I know I have a long way to go to before I'm truly ready to take on BUD/S and any help would be greatly appreciated.

-JB

I just re read my own post and that definitely came off REALLY over obsessive. That definitely isn't the only thing I'm thinking about, but I agree with both of you, I need to chill.

Good luck on your goals, which are important. Your primary goal should be "graduate high school." The rest will figure itself out.

Thanks for your admiration of special operations folks.

Alright gonna try to make this intro without over thinking it.

Ive always wanted to be a professional soldier. Every time I see footage of troops fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan I want to be there instead of bouncing around from job to job, living paycheck to paycheck. Now if you asked me how come I haven't enlisted yet since I'll be 26 in a few days I really don't have a good answer for you. But now feels like the right time. I turned a room in my apt to a home gym, got free weights, bands, and built a pull up bar. Always been into running so need to work on my upper body and brush up on stuff I didn't do a good job of learning in high school so I can get good test scores. Planning on getting a 18X contract and making a career out of it. I hope this is what I was supposed to say here, any advice or criticism is welcome.

Alright gonna try to make this intro without over thinking it.

Ive always wanted to be a professional soldier. Every time I see footage of troops fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan I want to be there instead of bouncing around from job to job, living paycheck to paycheck. Now if you asked me how come I haven't enlisted yet since I'll be 26 in a few days I really don't have a good answer for you. But now feels like the right time. I turned a room in my apt to a home gym, got free weights, bands, and built a pull up bar. Always been into running so need to work on my upper body and brush up on stuff I didn't do a good job of learning in high school so I can get good test scores. Planning on getting a 18X contract and making a career out of it. I hope this is what I was supposed to say here, any advice or criticism is welcome.

All there is left is to do it. If you are already a runner, I wouldn't be too overly concerned with getting super strong upper body wise. Most everything you will need to do will depend on your legs to carry you, and your lungs to supply oxygen to those legs. If those and your feet are good, you will be as well.

All there is left is to do it. If you are already a runner, I wouldn't be too overly concerned with getting super strong upper body wise. Most everything you will need to do will depend on your legs to carry you, and your lungs to supply oxygen to those legs. If those and your feet are good, you will be as well.

Thanks cback. Not trying to get all muscled up with the weight training. Going for functional fittness, (think I saw that phrase used here). Would like to remain pretty wirery while being able to bust out as many pullups, pushups, and situps as I want. And get good at rope climbing.

Back