First Post

I'll pre-face my introduction by answering this question. When I hit the fleet Marine Corps I met my first true mentor, and later friend, who told me this, "you don't deserve a f--king thing, if you want it, you f--king earn it." That has always stuck with me. So to answer your question, I don't deserve to be in SOF, but I want a crack at earning my spot.

Best response yet

Sticking to the key points:

I am 19 years old and will be starting my second year as an Arabic major at Ohio State. I chose to go to college before I decide to enlist largely due to advice posted here to other wannabes, as well as from other publications.

It's hard to dissect and articulate all the reasons I want to be a SEAL, but I think a big part is that I want to rise to meet new challenges every day. The idea of being in a brotherhood that demands constant growth appeals to me. If part of that growth is in my ability to jump out of planes, shoot, and dive, all the better. I don't want to be stagnant in an office somewhere.

That said, I have no illusions of entitlement. I know that nobody even owes me a chance to go to BUD/S, so right now I'm doing PT and working hard in college.

I don't have a lot of questions right now and this is only my first missed opportunity to STFU since last summer, but I'm here to garner whatever insight or knowledge I can.

Thanks.

Being a certified EMT and working towards my Paramedic is only the beginning. I know not many share my same views but I feel we are all called to something higher, something greater. My faith is my rock and there is literally nothing in life I have to fear, because the pain will end at some point and I have God no matter what. To me there is nothing greater than self-sacrifice, and to render medical aid to those in dyer situations, it doesn't get any greater than that. Corpsman, Medical Sergeant's, Pararescue Jumpers are the best at what they do and are the different careers I am looking into. I like them all, but I am leaning towards Pararescue being that they're primary mission(from what I have read) is CSAR. I don't think I am built to be strictly search and destroy. I have the calling to save lives, and that is why I am here. To educate myself and make a decision.

Thank you all for giving the rest of us the opportunity to stand on you're shoulders.

My name is Charles, Im 24 and I've been on this site for a while. I have not posted in a while due to me PTing, drinking (Scotch for those who love the drink), then trying to figure out how to PT with a hangover, also I know nothing about a lot and very little about nearly anything so keeping my mouth shut has kept me from running 6 miles for anyone recently.

I am going out for PJ. Two years ago it was just because I wanted the beret and something to talk about, make my life seem a bit more meaningful as I am at a very unsatisfying job. I wanted a cool story to tell all my friends and bragging rights, loved saying all the nice schools I was going to go to and the people and missions I would meet and go out on. As time went on, that feeling of (You haven't done shit yet and are still talking) kind of crept up. I decided the least I would do was research it more, figure out if its what I really want, or if i'll just waste a bunch of grown men's time. I read a few books about the subject(s) (Lone Survivor, None Braver, That Others May Live)

I watched a few videos, read those books and my life changed. It happened during Luttrel's book at the time when his friend was gravely wounded and kept fighting, it was something I really can't grasp, I have never been there or done anything these people have done or been apart of it, but it made me feel the need to be, and yet all i'm doing is sitting around speaking like a jackass as if I have done something already.

I went to MEPs, was nearly disqualified, took my PAST, passed it barely the first go around and now I'm here after who knows how long of dumbass posts. Why I want to be a PJ, isn't really a want anymore, its more of a need, a calling, a feeling. The mission, I believe in it, I can't guarantee if i'll make it, or even if I do, if I'll make the best one there ever was or even a half decent one, but I can say I am willing to give it the best shot I got. After being apart of Rescue Athlete for so long, I can say these are the types of people I want to be around, who are my co-workers, family, friends, everything. I don't deserve to be here any more then the next guy, I'm just looking for the best chance to make it through the course.

Let me just start this by explaining who I am first and where I'm at in my life. I'm a high school student in my Junior year with the plan of becoming a Combat Controller. I've always loved languages, I'm great with them, and up until recently, I would have been happy doing something with languages for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I still love languages as much as I did before, and I would be happy to an extent if that's what happened, but there'd be a hole that I would never be able to fill if I didn't become an STO. I've done sports most of my life, and that's showed me a lot about myself, and that when I'm not working hard, I just can't live with myself. The military has great benefits, especially if you become an officer(What I want to be), but I wouldn't be able to sit back and read about what other guys are doing while I'm sitting by in the intelligence field. I also want to serve specifically in the Air Force, because I'm from an Air Force Family. We have friends in the Air Force, my mom works a Civilian Contractor in the SF out at Luke AFB, and my Grandfather was an MP in the Air Force.
I've done the research on the different SF roles in the Air Force, and neither PJ/CRO or SOWT really appeals to me like CCT/STO. Supporting other Special Operations Forces with CAS, guiding planes, setting up Exfiltration and Medevacs is something I want to do. I want to be a part of a team, and bring a skill to the table that they need, and that I can do well for them. I was even joking with my parents last night when we were in a sports bar that was having kareokee night, that I would rather jump out of the back of an airplane, and help coordinate CAS, MEDEVACs and Exfils, all while being shot at, than do kareokee. The thing is, I am dead serious too. I feel like I have no option in this, nor do I want one. I know this is my calling in life, to continue down that path of the warrior that I have made it my life's goal to follow, and to better myself and push my limits on a constant basis.
Currently, I don't have time to train myself for anything specific, because I'm doing football, but I push myself past where I think my limits are, and keep pushing without heed for thought. I've also read that the majority of SOF were wrestlers, and as a wrestler, I understand why. My initial intention at the beginning of the year was to not wrestle, and instead relax for a season before spring football. But based on what I've read, I've decided to suck it up and do it because it's the only mentally taxing sport I can play, and I need it. I've done a little research on ROTC, and found the University where I can do it and pursue a major in Farsi, and I'm looking for more information about the college and ROTC in general from school career councilors when I get back on Monday. I've watched videos of the indoc course and pipeline, and I know I can make it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a matter of not quitting in the face of obstacles unimaginable until you stand before them, and I have made a commitment to a mentality of victory or death, because surrender is not an option for me, and never will be. I just can't comprehend quitting that, simply because I've been raised since birth and it's ingrained in me that I need to finish what I start.
Recently, my will to be an STO has been further been cemented by reading some articles on here about what individuals have done, simply because it's their job. One of them that really struck me hard, and changed my life, is the one about Staff Sgt. Harvell. It seemed like another example of AFSOC training and the type of man that makes it, but then I got to the end. His motto was "Victory or Valhalla", and he lived that every day of his life. Reading that, and even typing it strikes a chord, and I'm making a commitment to make that my life motto in honor of him, and of anyone who has worn the Beret.

As per some of the the threads in this forum, what's your 5m target, 25m target? backup plan?

My first and most important target right now is continue to strengthen myself mentally, keep up my grades, and continue seeking information about ROTC. My 25m target would be go to the University of Texas, begin studying for my degree, and find information on what I need to do to get into the pipeline and take the proper steps. My back up plan is to be a Crytpologic Linguist, and do that for awhile. After that, whenever I'm done with the military, find a job in the CIA as an analyst.

My faith is my rock and there is literally nothing in life I have to fear, because the pain will end at some point and I have God no matter what.

I think you need to learn to stand on your own two feet. "God" ain't going to carry your ruck or give you a hug when you are faced with death and need to act appropriately. Faith in yourself is paramount IMO.

My Heathen .02c

If you go the ROTC route, you're most likely not going to be a cryptologic linguist. That's an enlisted specialty, if you become an officer you'll most likely have to wait a while for any kind of language or crypto training.

My first and most important target right now is continue to strengthen myself mentally, keep up my grades, and continue seeking information about ROTC. My 25m target would be go to the University of Texas, begin studying for my degree, and find information on what I need to do to get into the pipeline and take the proper steps. My back up plan is to be a Crytpologic Linguist, and do that for awhile. After that, whenever I'm done with the military, find a job in the CIA as an analyst.

Awesome. Second choice. Splendid.

Why is MI the Rodney Dangerfield of MOSes?

I think you need to learn to stand on your own two feet. "God" ain't going to carry your ruck or give you a hug when you are faced with death and need to act appropriately. Faith in yourself is paramount IMO.

My Heathen .02c

I feel the same way.

My Heathen .02c

I know how to stand on my own two feet just fine. I have faith and confidence in myself and my abilities. At the end of the day the only thing stopping me from achieving my goal is me. You don't have to understand where I am coming from and I don't expect you to. My faith drives me day in and day out. If I commit to anything, if I give my word, I stand by it. I will find out if I am SOF material or not at some point, and I am going to prepare myself the best way I can, by learning as much as possible and pushing myself every day in training. Until I get there I am simply here to learn.

In all seriousness, I appreciate the encouragement and any advice given, because I have no experience on these matters. But, I will not change who I am for anything, especially regarding my belief's. I'm not going to be fake and pretend that I'm the hardest guy alive or that I'm not going to look to God when times are tough, regardless of the situation. It's what I do, it's who I am. SOF or not.

A word in general for you new guys: What is the deal with the military, especially SOF, as some type of OJT for Phase II in life? Do you know if you enlisted to be an air traffic controller, completed training, did the job for how many ever years and then left thinking the FAA will hire you....you'd be screwed because the FAA isn't taking prior service ATC guys and gals? Whoopsie! Do you know how many high speed computer and radio types AREN'T working for a three letter agency or one of the Big 6 defense contractors? How many MP/ Security Forces/ Master at Arms types AREN'T civilian LEOs right now?

Look, do what you want, but don't enlist thinking that x number of years as a SEAL, Ranger, Ninja, or whatever means that every door will be open to you. Just doing x or y doesn't mean that your phone will ring or anyone will care about your resume. You can look ahead, and you should, but you can load the deck in your favor and the House can still hit 21, you know?

A word in general for you new guys: What is the deal with the military, especially SOF, as some type of OJT for Phase II in life? Do you know if you enlisted to be an air traffic controller, completed training, did the job for how many ever years and then left thinking the FAA will hire you....you'd be screwed because the FAA isn't taking prior service ATC guys and gals? Whoopsie! Do you know how many high speed computer and radio types AREN'T working for a three letter agency or one of the Big 6 defense contractors? How many MP/ Security Forces/ Master at Arms types AREN'T civilian LEOs right now?

Look, do what you want, but don't enlist thinking that x number of years as a SEAL, Ranger, Ninja, or whatever means that every door will be open to you. Just doing x or y doesn't mean that your phone will ring or anyone will care about your resume. You can look ahead, and you should, but you can load the deck in your favor and the House can still hit 21, you know?
I can second this. I have a crazy resume for FP but haven't gotten a call back from a single EP job.

... CSAR. I don't think I am built to be strictly search and destroy. I have the calling to save lives, and that is why I am here. To educate myself and make a decision.

You certainly sound like an honorable and principled man, and I respect that. A couple of things stood out in your post that I wanted to address. I stay out of SOF threads, as I prefer to stay in my lane, but what I'm going to ask isn't SOF-specific.

You're interested in the PJs due to their CSAR mission. The first letter stands for combat. PJs save lives, which appears to be your calling. But PJs also kill people. Have you considered the reality that if selected and deployed, you will have to take life in order to preserve life? This is the lot of any combat medic, be they conventional or SOF.

Back