First Post

Thanks cback. Not trying to get all muscled up with the weight training. Going for functional fittness, (think I saw that phrase used here). Would like to remain pretty wirery while being able to bust out as many pullups, pushups, and situps as I want. And get good at rope climbing.

When are you actually going to join? What did you do today to help yourself get Selected? You are not getting any younger.

Pushups: 55

Situps: 60

Pullups: 8

Swim 10:40

Run: 8:40

I know I have a long way to go to before I'm truly ready to take on BUD/S and any help would be greatly appreciated.

-JB

How were these pullups done? Palms out or in. Only 55 pushups but you can do 8 pullups? Seems a little off to me. How far did you run? Get those pullups up. Palms out, get that number to 20. Pullups are a good test of full body strength, you use lots of muscles to do one.

When are you actually going to join? What did you do today to help yourself get Selected? You are not getting any younger.

Im going to start talking to recruiters within the next three months, or I may wait for the begining of the fiscal year.

Your right I'm not getting any younger, I turned 26 last friday and its time to stop thinking about doing it, its time to do it.

Today I biked 15 miles instead of a run because my leg is feeling a little tender and I don't wanna injure myself. Then I read some of Get Selected and One Tribe at a Time.

Well here is my intro in as few words as possible...

My reason for SF aspirations is pretty simple, if I am going to volunteer to serve my country, I will do whatever I have to do to make sure that I serve with the absolute best. With my life experience in business, the SF mission just makes so much sense. From the training and educating of others, ability to persuade others to follow your mission (even if it is in another language), and operating with a different mindset than the big army that thrives on exact procedures and strict policies. Although winning a direct action battle is what most people think of, I am captivated by the idea of training a small group of revolutionaries to fight for themselves and accomplish their mission. I strive to be the best at whatever I do and I believe that the tip of the sword would be the best fit for me. I have always been extremely patriotic, but my professional life took me through college and straight into the workforce in the blink of an eye. It took me a while to realize that I am about to miss my window to serve my country in this very special way.

I have not signed a contract yet. I am talking with both a conventional recruiter and a SF recruiter, both of which are from the NG. I am definitely not a youngster coming straight out of school. I am a college grad and a business co-owner in the construction industry. About four months ago I started reading, researching, and joining any forum that would have me to see if someone my age could not only join a branch of the military, but specifically the possibility of earning my way towards SOF. I am 33 years old, although I would have to show you an ID for you to believe it. I have a business and a family that would make active duty military nearly impossible, so NG seems like the best opportunity for me. After I made it through the initial month of proving to myself that it wasn't a "cool guy" phase I was going through, I dug in deeper into my research and my physical fitness. After countless discussions with my wife, we are on the same page. We are planning on meeting face to face together with a SF recruiter near us. Once we decide that it is a go, then I approach my business partners, which happen to be my family. At that point the 25m target is OSUT.

As of right now I am administering my own APFT and I have quite a bit of room for improvement, but I feel like I am progressing well. I am at 65 pushups, 65 sit ups, and just under a 14 minute mile. I will be able to max out the APFT based on the 17-21 age numbers prior to OSUT. I am also looking for some boots and a ruck to start getting these feet into shape (as well as a guide for a civilian to start rucking as I have never done it before). I read "Get Selected" once and will start it again in about a week. Just finished "Chosen Soldier" for the second time. From both of those I am establishing a workout routine that will help me get into the best shape possible for the selection process.

I am here for any wisdom or guidance I can get. I appreciate anyone willing to take the time to pass along their thoughts on where I am and what I want to do.

As of right now I am administering my own APFT and I have quite a bit of room for improvement, but I feel like I am progressing well. I am at 65 pushups, 65 sit ups, and just under a 14 minute mile. I will be able to max out the APFT based on the 17-21 age numbers prior to OSUT.

I hope the "14 minute mile" portion of this is a typo.

How were these pullups done? Palms out or in. Only 55 pushups but you can do 8 pullups? Seems a little off to me. How far did you run? Get those pullups up. Palms out, get that number to 20. Pullups are a good test of full body strength, you use lots of muscles to do one.
The pull ups were palm out but I think it's most likely because when i did that test I was swinging on the bar a little bit. But do you have any advice for the pull ups? I know there's a lot of info out there and Ive been using the NSW physical training guide and the stew smith workouts which have certainly helped from where i started from (barely any upper body strength) but i'm kind of stuck and not seeing much improvement there and was just wondering if you had anything that worked well for you. Also I saw you posted earlier that if your a runner you don't have to be as worried with the upper body strength. I've been running cross country and doing endurance sports since middle school was wondering how much of the selection courses are focused more on endurance and running than the upper body stuff?

Just a heads up to all the wanttobeaspecailforcessealjarhead you need to think about maxing the 17 - 21 year old pt test no matter what your age. Think about total body fitness. When all is said and done you will not be a body builder but someone that can carry his buddy and gear forever

Just a heads up to all the wanttobeaspecailforcessealjarhead you need to think about maxing the 17 - 21 year old pt test no matter what your age. Think about total body fitness. When all is said and done you will not be a body builder but someone that can carry his buddy and gear forever
x 1,000
TAKE NOTE!!
...and I'm just a guy in the pipe line.

x 1,000
TAKE NOTE!!
...and I'm just a guy in the pipe line.

Thanks both of you. In regards to "total body fitness", is a routine of running (various distances, various terrains, and various paces), push ups, sit ups, other core workouts (planks, flutter kicks, etc.), and pull ups the key? I started hitting the weights a few months back and then read to avoid the bulking up. I know the next step is rucking, but have had alternating opinions. Some have said to start now, some said that there is plenty of rucking once you get into OSUT to prepare for SOPC and SFAS. I planned on starting my rucking well before OSUT but not over-working it and risking injury (mainly to toughen up the feet and build up more leg strength). Any advice on my gameplan?

I planned on starting my rucking well before OSUT but not over-working it and risking injury (mainly to toughen up the feet and build up more leg strength). Any advice on my gameplan?

Instead of rucking you could do 4 to 8 mile speed walks, and as far as OSUT you really want to avoid injury. Sand Hill uses the craw, walk, run method meaning they will start you in just PPE and work you up to wearing a ruck and distance. The biggest issue is people who have never walked long distance and with speed, tend to get stress fractures in their shins.

That said, if you do start to ruck you need to keep the weight low (start with 30lbs and work up to 45lbs) only do it once a week and increase your distance gradually (maybe 2 miles per week). I would say start with no ruck 4 to 6 miles twice a week for 3 weeks, and then go to 4 miles with 30lbs. Build up to 12 miles and then add 10lbs and drop back to 6 miles and then work back up to 12 miles. Infantry standards is 12 miles with 40lbs ruck in 3 hours (15 minute mile pace) but you really want to be 13 to 14 minute a mile pace. Again if you are going to ruck, start slow and build up. Be smart about it and don’t try to push to far b/c your body has to build up to it.

I don’t know anything about SOPC or SFAS so my advice ends here. ;)

Thanks JAB. Considering SOPC and SFAS are beyond the first target, your insight sounds very helpful for OSUT. Also allows for some time to find a ruck...

SOPC and what used to be SOPC 2(don't think it exists anymore) are the most physically demanding things I have ever done. You will get smoked beyond your worst nightmares. But that was back when it was hard, just a random bit of knowledge for all you 18X-ers out there.

Nice video, I remember that SERE surivival instructor at the .52 second mark. That guy was funny and crazy, talking about eating road kill!!!

SFC Pack, Summers, Zastro, Davis, Murray, etc... Oh the days of lunging through the creek or doing buddy carries in the deep soft sand of the tank trails.

SOPC and what used to be SOPC 2(don't think it exists anymore) are the most physically demanding things I have ever done. You will get smoked beyond your worst nightmares. But that was back when it was hard, just a random bit of knowledge for all you 18X-ers out there.

I agree, some of the most physically demanding days of my life... I wouldnt trade them for anything, including a day off...

Crip

Nice video, I remember that SERE surivival instructor at the .52 second mark. That guy was funny and crazy, talking about eating road kill!!!

He was still there as of about 3 years ago, awesome dude.

Awesome video.

So since this is the first post section. I've been working on my application process for SFAS. I've gotten everything done but the physical (no worries pulshes codes are good). The thing that has me worried is the application process. I'm stuck on a back waters post that doesn't do much in the ways of deployments or actually missions for that matter. I've tried to tailor the resume (for the "o" side) as best I can.

Any tips/idea/whatever you got would be helpful.

Thanks.

...why you think you deserve to be here.
I'll pre-face my introduction by answering this question. When I hit the fleet Marine Corps I met my first true mentor, and later friend, who told me this, "you don't deserve a f--king thing, if you want it, you f--king earn it." That has always stuck with me. So to answer your question, I don't deserve to be in SOF, but I want a crack at earning my spot.

I enlisted Marine Corps in 2009 at the age of 25. Before that I had bounced around in life, I earned an AA from a local community college, raced motorcycles, and working full time as a networking tech. I went to San Diego to visit my cousin who is a Marine. After spending time with him and Marines, I started to research and 1 week later was in my local recruiting office signing on the line. Fast forward to now, I am a Combat Engineer with Combat Assault Battalion, 3rd MARDIV. I am not a physical specimen of awesomeness, but I have a high first class both PFT and CFT scores. I have 1 combat tour in Afghanistan where I was attached to 2nd BN, 6th Marines. After deployment, I had become increasing disenchanted with fleet Marine Corps. As a Lance Corporal, all I did was study the division side of my MOS, constantly setting goals of becoming better. I love demolition and have read the FM 3-34.214 more times than I'm willing to admit. Now a Corporal, I look at the Marines below me and have found only one with the same drive and it's extremely discouraging. Even among my peers, I have only found a few with that drive, one of which is mentioned below.

I had heard of MARSOC before and had given it passing thought, but nothing serious. I didn't think about it much until a Marine returned to the battalion after being medically dropped from A&S as well as 2 Marines who had been TAD to a MSOB for their deployment. Those 3 Marines who had interaction with CSO's basically influenced my choice in putting in my package. The fact that those within the SOF community are always striving to become better and just being "good" is not accepted, I want to be part of that community.

Back