Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

Anyone else use Full Fitness to track their workouts? Thrilled this morning to see that after MANY years they have finally released an update. 3.0

Haven't played with the new version much, but if you are seeking an app to keep track of your workouts, I consider this one of the very best.

ETA-

MOTHER FUCKERS!

Should have left well enough alone. How do you take an app that has worked "pretty well" for years, and then regress features and usability with an update!?!

IMG_5876.PNG

Last edited:
Did my regular weight lifting routine this morning on a completely empty stomach (but sipping my coffee). Was not the plan to exercise hungry, but more of a time frame thing.

I was shocked that I seemed to have more endurance and stamina during reps than I do when I have pre-workout snack. To the point of actually doing a few more sets.

Anyone else ever experience this? Crazy, I'm going to try again on Monday and see if results are similar.

Did my regular weight lifting routine this morning on a completely empty stomach (but sipping my coffee). Was not the plan to exercise hungry, but more of a time frame thing.

I was shocked that I seemed to have more endurance and stamina during reps than I do when I have pre-workout snack. To the point of actually doing a few more sets.

Anyone else ever experience this? Crazy, I'm going to try again on Monday and see if results are similar.

I've read that caffeine is a well-documented performance-enhancing drugs with the right dosage and timing. I tried it once on an APFT and it was one of my worst performances ever so haven't tried it again but very likely I was utilizing it incorrectly.

It's hit or miss with me. I usually only have coffee before morning workouts, and then I eat afterwards. Some days I feel great, some not so much. Depends on the workout too. If I know it's a particularly tough one, I will have maybe a protein shake and some carbs (1-2 bananas usually) prior to starting. One thing that works well for me is sipping on Gatorade while I lift. My routine is generally a lift, 3 x 5 or 5 x 3, followed by a conditioning workout. So while I am resting between strength sets, I'm sipping on simple sugars. Seems to work great for keeping me going through the conditioning parts, even on an empty stomach.

Anyone else use Full Fitness to track their workouts? Thrilled this morning to see that after MANY years they have finally released an update. 3.0

Haven't played with the new version much, but if you are seeking an app to keep track of your workouts, I consider this one of the very best.

ETA-

MOTHER FUCKERS!

Should have left well enough alone. How do you take an app that has worked "pretty well" for years, and then regress features and usability with an update!?!

View attachment 17428

Full Fitness gets an updated "A" from me. They took the feedback from the disaster that was upgrade 3.0 and quickly turned out 3.1. Pleased that I can highly recommend this app again.

Google "using ether on a carburetor"...that's what coffee does to my half dead body every morning!!!!:thumbsup:
Me too, I have a pot that you can set to start automatically in the morning. I dump black coffee into my mug and drink it on the road- I'm dead without it.

I don't find the taste of black coffee to be very satisfying, but I think the strong taste acts as an additionally stimulant (although it may just be a placebo or conditioned response).

Typically do black coffee and then pt; trick is making sure I'm hydrated. So 20 oz water by the rack, slam it on waking, then coffee (@Etype, I agree with you that the bitter taste of black coffee is definitely the first component of the wake-up punch) and then PT. If by chance there were certain festivities the night before, I'll add some arginine and potassium pills to help quickly rehydrate.

@ke4gde, that's outstanding.

Currently sitting at 5'9", 200ish. I was definitely 205 going into Christmas last year, and then went directly to an OC/T rotation at Irwin I found myself at 217lbs when I got back to Bliss. I've added both lean mass and fat this year. The problem was I think I set it get to me when I got to 183 and didn't stay on the path. Slowly but surely I added weight during the summer, most of it was muscle, but since my last triathlon I'm very sure I've been adding pound for pound.

The Goals for this year:

180-185lbs
15-17% BF

Sprint Triathlon time under 1:20:00
Complete First Olympic Triathlon
Two-mile run: 13:00
Front Squat: 350
Bench: 300
Deadlift: 450
Continue to play Rugby

Then, maintain it all. I haven't been completely focused on my weight, especially after my last race I began packing out for transition. I have been running 4x week and training 3x week just not really worrying about nutrition to the T. I'll go back to tracking and setting macronutrient goals on 1 JAN 17.

My Strength Coach is Josh @ Retribution Fitness - Personal & Group Fitness, Martial Arts, Yoga Everything is pretty much closed-kinetic chain barbell and dumbbell work all around the three "power" lifts. All of my aerobic training has been the Army, so programming stuff to balance triathlons and Rugby at a higher level is going to be interesting.

Last edited:

I experience this as well. I don't believe it is do to the caffeine though.
I do intermittent fasting, which means I eat all my food for the day in about a 6 hour window then "fast" for the remaining 18. Every time you ingest food(mostly carbs) your blood sugar spikes, causing insulin to spike as well. As soon as your body starts producing insulin, it tells your body to stop burning fat. This is because your body wants to burn off the food you just ate before working off of your fat storages again. When you have digested and used all the carbs(glycogen) in your blood, your blood sugar dips below normal because you body has not . This will give you a tired, groggy feeling and you will usually be hungry shortly aftwerwards.
That's why you get a sugar "high" then a sugar "crash" after drinking a soda or eating cake.

I eat my meals between 2200-0400 and go to bed around 0600. I wake up at 1200 and immediately go for a swim or run. Later on in the day before I eat again, I hit the gym with some weights or calisthenics. I never feel too tired or exhausted during workouts.
This is because, while I sleep, my body burns all those carbs I just ate, and after that food is burned off, it starts tapping into my fat cells. Fat is a great sustainable source of energy for your body. Throughout the day and during my workouts, my body is working off of my stored fat slowly which instead of getting those massive blood sugar spikes you get from eating carbs.

Pre-workout meals can be great, but they must be timed well or you will be trying to workout during that "crash" portion of the sugar spike.

Hope this helps! If you want me to post some source articles on the matter, I can. Just let me know sir.

I experience this as well. I don't believe it is do to the caffeine though.
I do intermittent fasting, which means I eat all my food for the day in about a 6 hour window then "fast" for the remaining 18. Every time you ingest food(mostly carbs) your blood sugar spikes, causing insulin to spike as well. As soon as your body starts producing insulin, it tells your body to stop burning fat. This is because your body wants to burn off the food you just ate before working off of your fat storages again. When you have digested and used all the carbs(glycogen) in your blood, your blood sugar dips below normal because you body has not . This will give you a tired, groggy feeling and you will usually be hungry shortly aftwerwards.
That's why you get a sugar "high" then a sugar "crash" after drinking a soda or eating cake.

I eat my meals between 2200-0400 and go to bed around 0600. I wake up at 1200 and immediately go for a swim or run. Later on in the day before I eat again, I hit the gym with some weights or calisthenics. I never feel too tired or exhausted during workouts.
This is because, while I sleep, my body burns all those carbs I just ate, and after that food is burned off, it starts tapping into my fat cells. Fat is a great sustainable source of energy for your body. Throughout the day and during my workouts, my body is working off of my stored fat slowly which instead of getting those massive blood sugar spikes you get from eating carbs.

Pre-workout meals can be great, but they must be timed well or you will be trying to workout during that "crash" portion of the sugar spike.

Hope this helps! If you want me to post some source articles on the matter, I can. Just let me know sir.

If I may.... what? Where did this come from? What has been your experience?

That's not really how intermittent fasting works. You would fast for one day during the week, it works for some people and doesn't always work for others. I prefer not to do any workout completely fasted, so if I'm up early in morning for a run I throw down a banana right away.

Here's a bunch of videos on intermittent fasting from one of my favorite bodybuilders, has one of the best brands in the supplement industry and talks to everyone who writes him an email. And also a dietician that is a Bikini Pro.

At the end of the day though, it's about what works and has worked for you.

That's not really how intermittent fasting works. You would fast for one day during the week, it works for some people and doesn't always work for others. I prefer not to do any workout completely fasted, so if I'm up early in morning for a run I throw down a banana right away.

Here's a bunch of videos on intermittent fasting from one of my favorite bodybuilders, has one of the best brands in the supplement industry and talks to everyone who writes him an email. And also a dietician that is a Bikini Pro.

My experience has been words like 'bodybuilder' and 'bikini pro' usually translate to all show and no go. I didn't watch the vids, but I'm more a bobby maximus fan. Still, i will watch the vids cuz this is all a little interesting. Thanks for post.

My experience has been words like 'bodybuilder' and 'bikini pro' usually translate to all show and no go. I didn't watch the vids, but I'm more a bobby maximus fan. Still, i will watch the vids cuz this is all a little interesting. Thanks for post.

Kara is a registered dietician and runs the dietician department at a hospital in Syracuse. As far as bodybuilding is concerned, a pro bodybuilder know how pack on a lot of muscle and get shredded. Most of them do not run, at all. Marc was on John Cena's American Grit last year though. Marc's good people, one of the few CEOs in the supplement business that you may know by name. Who is the CEO of ON?

Marc is also an EXOS Level II trainer. EXOS trained more than half of last year's 1st round NFL draft picks.

If I may.... what? Where did this come from? What has been your experience?
My experience is purely based on what I have used to lose weight, gain muscle, and improve my performance to eventually pass the PAST for Combat Control. I am not a personal trainer so I cannot use my techniques on other people nor do I have interest in that. So this is just my experience and what has worked for me.
I lost 25 pounds while simultaneously increasing the weight on all my lifts by at least 30 pounds(bench, squat, deadlift etc) and decreasing my run and swim times as well as my ruck times. So that is why I really believe what I have done has worked. It took me a long time to figure out my body and to filter the bullshit in the fitness industry. I've tried all the fad diets and workouts before I finally found what works.

Oh boy okay...first I'd like to say that I have no idea who that guy is so I cannot speak to him or his experience. I also did not watch the last video due to time constraints.

So to start off in the first video, he says Intermittent fasting is an eating disorder. It is not. It is a style of eating. You are not starving yourself. You Still eat all your meals you just do it in a short amount of time. I still eat 2300 calories a day, I just eat it in a small timeframe. He mentions eating 3 meals a day. That is purely a cultural thing. Read these

Why We Shouldn't Be Eating 3 Meals A Day
There Is No Biological Reason to Eat Three Meals a Day -- So Why Do We Do It?

Humans used to eat when they were hungry. Maybe once a day or even once every couple days. So what we call Intermittent Fasting used to be the norm for humans because that is what we are bilogically designed for. IF is not starving or an eating disorder.

Okay for the second video: This dude is clearly on roids and probably some other junk. I do not take fitness advice from some juiced up dude. I don't care that he is on roids, he can do what he wants but his fitness goals and training programs are not geared towards someone like me who is training purely for performance and not just pure muscle size. He talks about how IF will not help with protein synthesis or to gain weight. He is right. But I am not trying to pack on muscle. I am trying to become a lean mean fighting machine. Not someone who considers the eliptical a cardio machine. If he were to work out fasted he would not die. He is being super dramataic. The human body can endure a lot and him telling his "followers" he would die if he worked out fasted is pure utter bullshit. He lost all credibility with me as soon as he spewed that fitness bullshit on the internet.

Also, people can diet and exercise however they want. Find what works for you and stick to it. I have no problem with it. I was not advocating IF, I am just trying to defend it frrom false information. I am also just providing a plausible explanation as to why @Ooh-Rah experienced prolonged endurance during his workout.

Also, one of the main reasons I like IF, is the simplicity. It is so easy to only have to worry about eating once a day, and then not have to worry about it the rest of the day. It is super convenient and easy to work into most schedules.

To end here are some solid resources on IF and why it works and why it is not dangerous.

Intermittent Fasting 101 - The Ultimate Beginner's Guide

Best of luck to everyone on their fitness goals.

I mean, are you Stan McChrystal in another body? He's one of the few high performers I've heard eating once a day.

Like I said also, it's about what works for you. Because some wacked out shit can work for one person and not the next. Also, Marc is not on steroids, but good that you think that. Merry Christmas!

Kara is a registered dietician and runs the dietician department at a hospital...
The overwhelming majority of hospital dieticians are fat, just like the rest of the hospital workers.

She may not be, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with her dietician creds.

Credentials in the fitness world are largely bogus.

There is some good stuff out there and some shitty shady stuff. I'll do the research first.

Thought this was an interesting update.

Science Says Working Out On An Empty Stomach Isn’t Actually Bad For You

The overwhelming majority of hospital dieticians are fat, just like the rest of the hospital workers.

She may not be, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with her dietician creds.

Credentials in the fitness world are largely bogus.

Knowledge confers neither immunity nor wisdom.

Back