Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

It's Glendale, AZ. I was in the background phase of the hiring process. Took my polygraph the first week of January, the PT Update the next week, and the ride along the following week. I then had three weeks of no comms with my background investigator, got the verbal notification that I'd be receiving a letter and then didn't get that for almost two weeks. So yeah, idk.

Back onto the topic, I swam 1100m this morning because I can't count laps well.

Fair enough. If you made it that far I suspect we both know why you weren't selected.

Hmm... well here she goes. I guess I can start out by saying that I've been attempting and succeeding to lose weight for a year as of march. 9th "officially". I started at 5' 11" 261lbs. Now 208lbs , and I feel probably 15?% body fat. My goal is 190lbs and I've done just about everything i can think of to lose the weight, but course still nowhere close to performance wise of where i need to be, I can pass the AFPT test but i kinda squeak by barely on the push-ups, so obviously I still need a lot of work. The programs I've done from the start are Jim Stopanni's shortcut to shred(just the workout portion),Ashley Horner"charlie mike" program-both from bodybuilding.com,then a custom workout by my design that was of pyramid progression that consisted of push-up/pull-up/sit-up/run/Abbs, now I've switched to alternating days of "Insanity" and F'it it I'ma just do w/e days. I will say right now I'm so burned out and not sure what to implement, any advice/questions/constructive criticism is welcome.

To be a dick, can you see your abs? Because if you can't, you're not 15%.

I say this stating that right now on an Army Tape Test I would be 16%, but the bodpod tells me I'm 19%.

ETA: Outstanding on the weight loss.

Last edited:
To be a dick, can you see your abs? Because if you can't, you're not 15%.
Still have a layer of fat covering them, but the outline and tapering in and to some definition at the top when flexed appears but no visibility of the single abdominal, information was based on a hydrostatic test done a while back when i was @216lbs test said i was at like 17%ish but the accuracy i know isn't 100%.

Still have a layer of fat covering them, but the outline and tapering in and to some definition at the top when flexed appears but no visibility of the single abdominal, information was based on a hydrostatic test done a while back when i was @216lbs test said i was at like 17%ish but the accuracy i know isn't 100%.

Hydrostatic testing is about the best you can get. So that's pretty badass. Keep getting after it.

Random observation -

Put the gym membership on hold and doing body weight excercises instead.

5x10 pull ups
5x15 dips
5x10 chin ups
5x20 push-ups

Just been a few weeks but REALLY impressed with the results so far.

Why am I paying that much for a gym membership again? LOL

Having been in a gym exactly four times in my post-high school life, with one of those times being to wait out a lightning storm by ducking into Smith gym, I'm on board with your approach.

Random observation -

Put the gym membership on hold and doing body weight excercises instead.

5x10 pull ups
5x15 dips
5x10 chin ups
5x20 push-ups

Just been a few weeks but REALLY impressed with the results so far.

Why am I paying that much for a gym membership again? LOL

I subscribe to the body weight and cardio plan as well. Showing my age here but Herschel Walker convinced me a long time ago:thumbsup:

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding fasted ruck training? I've been doing my LSD cardio (running and rowing) fasted for the past 3 weeks based on a lot of articles that I've read. The first week absolutely sucked, but I saw significant progress in just the last few weeks doing it. Now, everything I've seen on here says to eat before a long ruck and I have been, but I wanted to gauge the reactions from members here on the board who make/have made their bones with a ruck on their backs. My thinking is that sure I can probably go harder while fed, but training my body to respond favorably without food while on a long march may have some upside come selection. Any thoughts?

There's no way to rush into rucking without hurting yourself. It takes time out walking, progression of weight and distance. Also unless you are trying to cut weight, don't deprive yourself of nutrition during training; a healthy body now will help you more when you are deprived later.

But there's much more experience here than I.

Rucking on insufficient nutrition is not fun, and wrecks the body. You should be eating before your ruck, and eat during the ruck if you are allowed to.

Thanks, I've been eating before, but I haven't been eating during. I'll change that. Any insight as to intervals: like every 45 mins or so?

Thanks, I've been eating before, but I haven't been eating during. I'll change that. Any insight as to intervals: like every 45 mins or so?

Are you training for something specific or just want to do some rucking?

When I did my Mt. Rainier prep I filled my water bottles with 50/50 water/Powerade and took a break every 45 minutes or so to have a GU Energy. I do the same thing now when I go on long bike rides (over 20 miles) and always seem to have all I need for energy and recovery.

IMHO, doing a long ruck without nutrition throughout (assuming it is available) is dangerous and defeats the purpose of what you are attempting to accomplish.

Yes, sir, SFAS. I've gotten a 7.5 mile @ 50lb ruck (it's just the distance of the trail) down in a little less than 2 hours without having to shuffle. I work on that on the speed day and try to keep it to a minimum from all the advice I've seen on here. I plan on enlisting in late Oct, early Nov. I'm not trying to jack the thread either. My questions have been answered and I plan on implementing the advice. Preciate it everyone.

Back