Gaming thread

Since D4 is coming out I think I might build a new machine. Last one was built in 2016 on the LGA 2011-v3 (x99) platform running a 980 Ti. Thinking of picking up a 13900k with a 4090 because why the fuck not. Should be able to run D4 at like 6000 FPS.

We should compare notes. I'm looking to build/buy a new rig before the end of May.

I'm in a holding state (read living out of a suitcase for two-ish weeks) while I move half way across the county to a new house. I didn't want to add a PC to the list of my possessions in the movers' hands. But, when I arrive, I'm getting on this.

We should compare notes. I'm looking to build/buy a new rig before the end of May.

I'm in a holding state (read living out of a suitcase for two-ish weeks) while I move half way across the county to a new house. I didn't want to add a PC to the list of my possessions in the movers' hands. But, when I arrive, I'm getting on this.

I feel like I did quite a bit of research between going back to AMD vs running a powerhouse Intel chipset. The AMD 7800x3d is reportedly a great chip, especially for gaming, but the 13900k will blow it away when it comes to creator type tasks. I'd like to get into video editing with 4k so that would be more beneficial. The AMD AM5 chipset is newer so it will support future generations of CPUs while Raptor Lake (LGA 1700) is supposed to end with the current CPUs. However, I did read that Intel is going to refresh Raptor Lake, whatever that means. At that point, I don't think you really save money by going one route over the other, especially if you run a machine for 5+ years.

If by 'buy' you mean pre-built, definitely look at building. You certainly save money and it's really not that difficult. Just takes a bit of research to make sure everything is compatible, but there are a ton of resources to help out with that. Biggest thing is ram compatibility, but website repositories exist to ease the pain. Really comes down to how much you want to spend. Once you add in monitors and such you could push $5k-$6k.

I feel like I did quite a bit of research between going back to AMD vs running a powerhouse Intel chipset. The AMD 7800x3d is reportedly a great chip, especially for gaming, but the 13900k will blow it away when it comes to creator type tasks. I'd like to get into video editing with 4k so that would be more beneficial. The AMD AM5 chipset is newer so it will support future generations of CPUs while Raptor Lake (LGA 1700) is supposed to end with the current CPUs. However, I did read that Intel is going to refresh Raptor Lake, whatever that means. At that point, I don't think you really save money by going one route over the other, especially if you run a machine for 5+ years.

If by 'buy' you mean pre-built, definitely look at building. You certainly save money and it's really not that difficult. Just takes a bit of research to make sure everything is compatible, but there are a ton of resources to help out with that. Biggest thing is ram compatibility, but website repositories exist to ease the pain. Really comes down to how much you want to spend. Once you add in monitors and such you could push $5k-$6k.
https://pcpartpicker.com/

There's more to the site than making your own build...which is the heart of the site, but there's a ton of options and info there.

I'll take a beating for this and that's fair. World of Warships, part of the F2P "World of xxxx" family. It is actually pretty fun, take it as serious as you'd like, and don't pay for upgrades unless you are super sweaty. Available on a variety of Platforms, it will even run in the background. Not a bad diversion for certain communities out there.

:thumbsup:

Never cared for the others, but enjoy WoWarships. Its not on the level of classics like the old Navy Field in terms of customization and intricacy. But it's fun inbetween and less grindy.

Alright, ladies and gents. I am asking for some recommendations.

I have dipped my toe in the XBox gaming world, and it's been cool to spend some brain-break time on the sticks. (By the way, I am pretty good at online hockey now and have started playing UFC and Forza, which is a gorgeous game.)

I am looking for inputs for a story-type game to widen my experience a bit. I have heard Killzone has an awesome story and gameply, obviously I am aware of the larger titles (Fallout, Halo).

So the question is, "If you had some dork that knows nothing about gaming and you could recommend one of your favorite games so they could experience it, what would it be?"

Alright, ladies and gents. I am asking for some recommendations.

I have dipped my toe in the XBox gaming world, and it's been cool to spend some brain-break time on the sticks. (By the way, I am pretty good at online hockey now and have started playing UFC and Forza, which is a gorgeous game.)

I am looking for inputs for a story-type game to widen my experience a bit. I have heard Killzone has an awesome story and gameply, obviously I am aware of the larger titles (Fallout, Halo).

So the question is, "If you had some dork that knows nothing about gaming and you could recommend one of your favorite games so they could experience it, what would it be?"

At this point it's just a matter of time before you get into sim racing.

(Spreads arms) It's time to come home. I got you, fam.
---
Seriously (sort of), my D2 clan does a bunch of gaming outside of Destiny (dweebs). I'll reach out to them. Generally speaking, your big hitters for lore/ stories are Destiny, Borderlands, Fallout, Elder Scrolls...Dying Light 1 and 2 (haven't played the second) aren't bad.

I'll assume you are looking for a good game, good story, but not "grindy" like the various looter/ shooters out there?

Hey! I recognize that.
Re: RedDead2 - I’m on my 4th or 5th playthrough. Yesterday I was bored so I road my horse to the woods and hunted for a perfect Whitetail Buck; then I walked down to a lake and fished…while Arthur had a few cigars and too much Pirates’s Rum and eventually got dizzy and fell into the lake. In real time I spent about an hour-and-a-half on this. RD2 is the most amazing gaming experience I’ve ever had.

(Spreads arms) It's time to come home. I got you, fam.
---
Seriously (sort of), my D2 clan does a bunch of gaming outside of Destiny (dweebs). I'll reach out to them. Generally speaking, your big hitters for lore/ stories are Destiny, Borderlands, Fallout, Elder Scrolls...Dying Light 1 and 2 (haven't played the second) aren't bad.

I'll assume you are looking for a good game, good story, but not "grindy" like the various looter/ shooters out there?
Yeah, exactly. I am more of an "easy mode play for funsies" type of dude, I have zero desire to fight the same boss 450 times. I heard Elder Scrolls was pretty dope (the screamy dragon game).

So far, the 20-somethings in my D2 clan have suggested Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush.

Here's how the publisher describes Pentiment on Steam: Pentiment contains public executions, stylized gore, suicide, references to abortion, frequent strong language, references to sexual assault, and references to sexual activities. Small parts of the game also reference notable alcohol consumption and incidental ergot-induced hallucinations.

Back