Gaming thread

Got COD Ghosts when released....so far it's "okay" . Graphics are nice and this is only the PS3 version. Campaign is not too bad, story line is good so far.

In the multiplayer, I do like the K9 you can get....he has saved my bacon a few times :sneaky:

We'll see how it plays out. Want to get BF4....
What's your handle on the PS3?

A fantastic kickstarter game. Been going at if fomr a few months now and can't get enough of it.
The game is still in it's alpha stage but it's going pretty nice so far.

I can't decide between COD Ghosts and BF4 or if I want them at all as I don't get much of a chance to play these games since I refuse to play them in front of my kids.

A fantastic kickstarter game. Been going at if fomr a few months now and can't get enough of it.
The game is still in it's alpha stage but it's going pretty nice so far.

This is similar to the original Rainbow Six games. You could plan out your assault before the mission started and then switch to first person. I loved that part of the game. Planning the mission out was my favorite part, create a bad plan and your back to the beginning re-planning an assault.

They're getting so dramatic with these announcements.

I'll end up buying it anyways. Fallout 3 was fucking awesome. I love post-apocalyptic shit. Metro 2033 was great too.

They're getting so dramatic with these announcements.

I'll end up buying it anyways. Fallout 3 was fucking awesome. I love post-apocalyptic shit. Metro 2033 was great too.

True, but they are franchises now.

I'm playing through Fallout: New Vegas again, this time with a bunch of mods enabled. I'd forgotten how big that game is compared to FO3. I like FO3 more, but New Vegas seems to have more content.

I need to pick up some new games while I'm in the States.

I'd do BF4 with you guys but between AC4, XCOM Enemy Within and State of Decay combined with work and finals coming up, I'm a bit swamped as it is. Have only now gotten to be able to play some XCOM with this nice holiday weekend.

My live gamertag is Poko1238, yeah I know its retarded but its an old nickname. Feel free to shoot me a friend request or Ill shoot you one either way.

Most of you probably don't play strategy games, bit for those who do:

Do not buy Total War: Rome II unless it is on sale, preferably with a deep discount (I picked up mine for 50% off). They are already up to Patch 7 with 8 AND 9 in development. In some respects it is way better than TW: Shogun II, but in others it fails. The combat scenes are bad and the campaign map has several painful bugs and crashes. The battle UI is arguably worse than in previous installments. Later I'll post a video with another guy's critique for those interested.

It will probably be a great game if they work out the kinks.

Is it me, or do games feel like you're paying $60 for a Beta?

Most of you probably don't play strategy games, bit for those who do:

Do not buy Total War: Rome II unless it is on sale, preferably with a deep discount (I picked up mine for 50% off). They are already up to Patch 7 with 8 AND 9 in development. In some respects it is way better than TW: Shogun II, but in others it fails. The combat scenes are bad and the campaign map has several painful bugs and crashes. The battle UI is arguably worse than in previous installments. Later I'll post a video with another guy's critique for those interested.

It will probably be a great game if they work out the kinks.

Is it me, or do games feel like you're paying $60 for a Beta?

I'm in TW: Rome II I agree, lots of crashes and bugs. There are several parts of the new version that I like over the old ones. For example, the limitation on number of armies you can field and the standing garrisons. The original was all about who could build "stacks of doom" the fastest. This one at least has some strategic limitations.

On the down side, I have one city, Medlhun, that every single battle takes forever to manually control because it pauses every time a scorpion shoots an arrow/bolt. I got in a situation where the nearby faction was attacking it every round with one or two units against my fully equipped army. It took like half an hour to kill them off each round, and when I finally got to the point where I just hit automatic, they ran my army off like it wasn't even there. Very painful.

and yes, you are paying $60 for a beta. Games get to market as fast as they can, just like many other types of software, and worry about fixing bugs in later releases. Any time you buy a new release game, you are pretty much paying to be in the public beta.

The video I mentioned. 37 minutes long, but the guy does a really good job with it. Not just his examples and critiques, but he's entertaining as well. Heads up, it is NSFW.

I'm in TW: Rome II I agree, lots of crashes and bugs. There are several parts of the new version that I like over the old ones. For example, the limitation on number of armies you can field and the standing garrisons. The original was all about who could build "stacks of doom" the fastest. This one at least has some strategic limitations.

On the down side, I have one city, Medlhun, that every single battle takes forever to manually control because it pauses every time a scorpion shoots an arrow/bolt. I got in a situation where the nearby faction was attacking it every round with one or two units against my fully equipped army. It took like half an hour to kill them off each round, and when I finally got to the point where I just hit automatic, they ran my army off like it wasn't even there. Very painful.

and yes, you are paying $60 for a beta. Games get to market as fast as they can, just like many other types of software, and worry about fixing bugs in later releases. Any time you buy a new release game, you are pretty much paying to be in the public beta.

I was against the army limit at first, but I've grown to like it. The meat of the game though are the battles and they are so bad I auto-resolve and even that lacks a method to the madness. It seems arbitrary at times as to who will win and why. Naval combat is covered very well in the video. I tried his "fleet of plebes" idea and sadly it works well until the late game....if you can make it that far. I'm at a point where it crashes every other turn.

Spies and champions are quite effective, but I haven't found much of a use for diplomats. Art imitating life of late it seems....

The whole "public beta" concept is why I rarely buy new games anymore. I usually wait for a sale on Steam. Civ 5 took far too many patches to work well, Rome II is up to 7 with many glaring failures left, Hearts of Iron 3 is a great game now...after a year of public beta. I'm glad Steam finally opened up an Amazon-style user review section because that's saved me from making a purchase or two. I look forward to some games, but if I pay full price I'll still wait a week or two.

Back