Gaming thread

I think Star Citizen looks more interesting... but it also has a lot of hype to live up to/lots of development time left.

Both look like they wouldn't leave time for anything else though. I've already got a backlog of single player games I'd like to get through before even trying anything on that scale. I just recently finished Bioshock Infinite, which was pretty cool... even if some elements of the setting were a clusterfuck of a mess. Cities:Skyline is supposed to be pretty damn good, too, if you want a true successor to the SimCity games.

Star citizen: You can play the same 2 maps forever with your pay to win ships while RSI spends the next 20 years laughing to the bank trying to make the game with your 40 billon dollars

Elite Dangerous: New shit monthly, a game you can play RIGHT NOW, and have a blast doing it. Leave your mark on the entire galaxy, going anywhere you can reach if your heart desires. Zero P2W aspects, in fact even hooking up brohams that come in is tough (but doable). Oh, and a one time fee for the game, playable either solo, as a group of friends, or online which is where I reside as a rule.

7c0d40dd48.jpg

Rollin with the boyz...

Elite Dangerous: New shit monthly, a game you can play RIGHT NOW, and have a blast doing it. Leave your mark on the entire galaxy, going anywhere you can reach if your heart desires. Zero P2W aspects, in fact even hooking up brohams that come in is tough (but doable). Oh, and a one time fee for the game, playable either solo, as a group of friends, or online which is where I reside as a rule.

So P2W model in what, two years or so?

O_o

Anyone gonna buy Battlefield Hardline? Haven't gotten it yet, but might go for it.

I picked it up yesterday for the Xbox One, and went ahead and got the Premium also. I haven't had time to play with everything I have going on right now, but I've always loved the Battlefield games.

These space games look awesome. I've been looking for something like that for my Mac, just haven''t found anything where it encompassed trading and fighting. I'll have to check those out, hopefully something will work on OS X

Not happening. Everything you can buy is either stuff you can have in your hand IE Elite gear, or paint. That's it. The future expansions beyond where things are now will be additional costs, but you aren't going to be paying what you pay for an internet spaceship in SC.

I think you are probably right and I didn't even notice that it was out yet. I think I've watched more than a few videos on the differences between E:D and SC and comparing the two only in that they are both in space may be all you need to do.

I picked it up yesterday for the Xbox One, and went ahead and got the Premium also. I haven't had time to play with everything I have going on right now, but I've always loved the Battlefield games.

These space games look awesome. I've been looking for something like that for my Mac, just haven''t found anything where it encompassed trading and fighting. I'll have to check those out, hopefully something will work on OS X
Battlefield only deserves to be played on PC. Heretic!

Star citizen: You can play the same 2 maps forever with your pay to win ships while RSI spends the next 20 years laughing to the bank trying to make the game with your 40 billon dollars

Elite's price point definitely seems much better right now. But if Star Citizen can pull off even half of what it's promising, it should be the better game (on paper). No guarantee that they will pull it off though, so I can see how Elite is the better game until that changes. By the time I do get around to trying either one, both games will probably have been fully released... so I'll figure it out then.

As for Battlefield Hardline... dunno, feels a bit 'eh'. I could just play BF4 and that would be close enough, but I rarely play BF4 anymore, so yeah...

But I might check out some videos to see if there are any new game modes which would be interesting enough to warrant spending the time on it.

Anyone else on PC playing BF4 hit me up, Aquila0311. Oh, and if someone can give me some tech support so I can FINALLY get my headphone/mike set working for in game convo it would be greatly appreciated. Gotta have something to play until Metal Gear Solid 5 and The Division are released!

A much as I hate online gaming it looks like Elite Dangerous and I have a future...once I have a stable connection.

You have options in that regard, though. The game has online saves so it has an advantage there if you have to use the red phone against your computer or whatnot. You have 3 modes of gameplay, which all sync up online with regards to credits and progression in the game...

Solo, which is obviously you by yourself. While you're solo, you have no players IN your universe. Anyone on your friends list can still message you, though.

Group play, which is effectively Solo with a twist. You join/create a private group, and people can join said group given the owner accepts them. I run one, so if you only wanted to play with me (purely example, i'm a horrible person and nobody ever wants to play with me) and the few people who have joined it, you could join it and know everyone in there that is human is probably bigger than you are and also friendlier. LOL

And Open play... which is where you need your A game. Piracy, griefing, everything glorious and horrendous about playing with online individuals is available. Lucky for you, should you go open I also have friends all over that you will eventually get introduced to as you play, which will drop what they're doing and come jack a mofucka up in a heartbeat...

I'll sort it out and hit you up with a PM. I saw the Solo option (He shot first. Oh, I crack me up) and going into a group so I don't have my ass abused like an episode of Oz would be a huge plus.

Well, even in open it's not nearly as bad as you'd think. I've been interdicted by real human players a total of 3 times. Twice by one pirate that didn't even try to ransom me, just started attacking (pre-repair-patch, where if you lost thrusters you were flat out fucked and lost in space... only escape being taking off your helmet) and once by a buddy who was just screwing with me. Every other time it's been an NPC, and then I turn around and use all manner of devices as destructive sexual implements upon their brain housing group.

There's no "SAFE" space, shit goes wrong all over... but with a proper risk management worksheet........

Battlefield only deserves to be played on PC. Heretic!

I completely agree with you, although I don't have the money to keep investing in upgrading a gaming computer. Especially since they bumped up the One servers to hold 64 players now. I've really enjoyed how they changed the game of purchasing items with money earned. Although I have had it crash twice already on me.

Damn composite risk management

Task: Make money
Conditions: Outer space, open play
Standards: Profit to exceed 2k per ton for a round trip

Risk: Ship loss due to piracy
Impact: Catastrophic
Likelyhood: Variable on profit and population of specific trade routes. Higher population attracts a higher amount of personnel, which increases the threat level due to drawing in pirates. 1900-2000 credits per ton with an absolute top end of 2200/t with a low population density will provide a fair balance of profit and safety

Risk: Ship Loss due to pilot error
Impact: Catastrophic
Likelyhood: Low, unless pilot becomes hurried due to IRL necessity or hits up the Laphroaig. Even then, having a proper checklist of operation can continue to reduce this risk across the board.

I completely agree with you, although I don't have the money to keep investing in upgrading a gaming computer. Especially since they bumped up the One servers to hold 64 players now. I've really enjoyed how they changed the game of purchasing items with money earned. Although I have had it crash twice already on me.

keep investing? Erm, maybe it's just me and maybe I just have an inkling of wtf I'm doing, but I've upgraded systems to play games once in the past 3 years. My system by no means is the absolute hot-shit out of all of the ones people are running on this board, and even then it's out of components that will be good going forward for quite a long time to come. Consoles lock you in to a lower end solution right out the gate that just gets more and more dated in terms of performance, graphics, and overall capability. But, I'm not going to get into the whole consoles vs PC argument. I'll just leave this here, though...

0e0571019a.jpg

Low, unless pilot becomes hurried due to IRL necessity or hits up the Laphroaig. Even then, having a proper checklist of operation can continue to reduce this risk across the board.

Still blaming me for the good Scotch, and for errors in judgment in the game due to said libation.... aaaarrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!

Back