George H.W. Bush - Passes away at 94

SaintKP

Here's the beginning of the article from WaPo for those with no articles/subscription the whole thing itself is fairly massive.

George H.W. Bush, the 41st president of the United States and the father of the 43rd, was a steadfast force on the international stage for decades, from his stint as an envoy to Beijing to his eight years as vice president and his one term as commander in chief from 1989 to 1993.

The last veteran of World War II to serve as president, he was a consummate public servant and a statesman who helped guide the nation and the world out of a four-decade Cold War that had carried the threat of nuclear annihilation.

His death, at 94 on Nov. 30, also marked the passing of an era.

Although Mr. Bush served as president three decades ago, his values and ethic seem centuries removed from today’s acrid political culture. His currency of personal connection was the handwritten letter — not the social media blast.

He had a competitive nature and considerable ambition that were not easy to discern under the sheen of his New England politesse and his earnest generosity. He was capable of running hard-edge political campaigns, and took the nation to war. But his principal achievements were produced at negotiating tables.

“When the word moderation becomes a dirty word, we have some soul searching to do,” he wrote a friend in 1964, after losing his first bid for elective office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...fa2ea2-61e2-11e8-99d2-0d678ec08c2f_story.html

Sorry, how is it massive? He was really old and unwell- it happens to us all (mostly). It was to do be expected eventually.

A great man, in my view...Rest in Peace, sir.

(He made a parachute jump at 85, a tandem jump at 90. How fucking cool was that?)

Damn, a great man...he lasted longer than I thought after his wife died.

I met him once while he was president and I was simple young Police Officer blocking a hallway in an out of way place, he took the time to stop and say hi. I later met him at Texas A&M at a showing of Argo where CIA Officer Antonio Mendez and his wife were there for questions and answers after the showing. President Bush was there in a wheelchair and his small detail...he was very humble and took the time to meet people, selfies..etc.

Rest in Peace Mr. President.

EDIT: If you get the chance to visit Texas A&M, go to his Presidential library...it's worth it.

Damn, a great man...he lasted longer than I thought after his wife died.

I met him once while he was president and I was simple young Police Officer blocking a hallway in an out of way place, he took the time to stop and say hi. I later met him at Texas A&M at a showing of Argo where CIA Officer Antonio Mendez and his wife were there for questions and answers after the showing. President Bush was there in a wheelchair and his small detail...he was very humble and took the time to meet people, selfies..etc.

Rest in Peace Mr. President.

EDIT: If you get the chance to visit Texas A&M, go to his Presidential library...it's worth it.
I also met him once. I was on his welcoming detail when he came to visit the troops at the NTC back in the late 80s. He seemed really down to earth and gracious.

Last edited:
Most will only remember him as a President but he was pretty remarkable and had a front seat to a lot of history from WWII forward. Godspeed.

ghwbush_cartoon.jpg

Last edited:
Rest In Peace, Mr. President and thank you for your many years of service to our Nation!

Back