Græy Berets

BK2004

BK2004
Verified SOF
18 November, per Ken Ramos’s (founder, Army Wtf Moments) call to action, all Black Knights should don the grey!

Last edited:
I think he means Psyops guys should all wear a grey beret on nov 18 even though it hasn’t been approved. Right now the grey beanie is only for ROTC.

And Black Knights? The USMA football team?
The official announcement was made last November at the Worldwide PSYOP conference last year that the fielding would begin on the anniversary of the Green Beret (former USASOC Commander’s idea), but then USASOC changed command and the new dog is fighting it. Typical.

Since SF wore their distinctive headgear long before it too was officially authorized, we will do the same, whether they like it or not.

PSYOP has been around since 1917, and since before there was SF, the black knight chess piece has been a symbol of our capability. That team has only been officially called Black Knights since 1999. Before that, they were mules, officially. So who’s the jackass NOW? ;)

The official announcement was made last November at the Worldwide PSYOP conference last year that the fielding would begin on the anniversary of the Green Beret (former USASOC Commander’s idea), but then USASOC changed command and the new dog is fighting it. Typical.

Since SF wore their distinctive headgear long before it too was officially authorized, we will do the same, whether they like it or not.

PSYOP has been around since 1917, and since before there was SF, the black knight chess piece has been a symbol of our capability. That team has only been officially called Black Knights since 1999. Before that, they were mules, officially. So who’s the jackass NOW? ;)

It was an announcement, not a formal policy, and the community's decision to make up their own uniform standard is based on a pinky promise and then to compare itself to the Special Forces? "Whether they like it or not."

PSYOP or whatever it is called now may not care how it looks, but this is a bad look. Coming from a field grade officer, this is so much worse.

"The laughing stock of USASOC" has a nice ring to it though.

Good luck with your rebellion.

I mean…you are literally saying “they did it, why can’t we?” That’s the well thought out and tactical strategy the alleged mind-fuckers at PSYOP came up with to get their way?

The following may get me flamed a bit, but that’s okay.

I don’t get the hard-on for wearing a beret; actually that’s not true, I do understand the hard-on for it…wearing a beret allows the wearer to have a moment of feeding their SF Green Beret fantasy. You know it, I know it, and the American people know it.

Before @Muppet comes trying to track me down, I get that Rangers and Airborne earn their berets and have for years (since the early 1970’s if memory serves), I‘m aware of the pride and significance of those berets and have no joke or bone to make about them.

Everyone else? Jesus the whole Army went Black Beret back in 2001, literally because Big Army wanted its’ solders to feel a little more ‘special’. Now you’ve got PSYOP whining because “The Green Berets did it, why can’t we?”

If you want to wear a beret that bad, go to selection and earn it.

Fuck.

Personally I think the USMC covers are pretty dope and am glad we never went down the ghay-ass beret route.

I mean…you are literally saying “they did it, why can’t we?” That’s the well thought out and tactical strategy the alleged mind-fuckers at PSYOP came up with to get their way?

I don’t get the hard-on for wearing a beret; actually that’s not true, I do understand the hard-on for it…wearing a beret allows the wearer to have a moment of feeding their SF Green Beret fantasy. You know it, I know it, and the American people know it.

Before @Muppet comes trying to track me down, I get that Rangers and Airborne earn their berets and have for years (since the early 1970’s if memory serves), I‘m aware of the pride and significance of those berets and have no joke or bone to make about them.

Everyone else? Jesus the whole Army went Black Beret back in 2001, literally because Big Army wanted its’ solders to feel a little more ‘special’. Now you’ve got PSYOP whining because “The Green Berets did it, why can’t we?”

Fuck.

Personally I think the USMC covers are pretty dope and am glad we never went down the ghay-ass beret route.

Lmao. Agreed on USMC cover. The beret, at least for Paratroopers, Rangers and SF are a sign of pride but they are fucking hot, a pain in the ass to mold properly in order to not look like a toad and once they get dirty, gotta get a new one, washing it will tear it up.

Fuck.

I'm not really sure of the purpose of the beret and having the whole Army wear the black Beret (could just give that to the Armor branch...but let's not discuss that here). I think the idea was to have a less formal cap for Army greens and blues rather than every day wear. Because every unit I've been in, the beret was not part of the uniform of the day. That was the patrol cap. I legit think the only place where the black beret is part of the uniform of the day is probably Campbell.

ETA:

Actually I can tell you the amount of times as an Armor Officer I wore the beret, ever. My commissioning ceremony. Other than that: zero.

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken, Army Psyops and Civil Affairs are required to be airborne and hence authorized to wear the maroon beret. What the hell’s wrong with that? Not “special” enough?
That may be the case now, but when I was in USACAPOC, airborne qualification was encouraged, but not required. My team sergeant when we deployed to Somalia was not airborne qualified and had no interest in doing so...

That may be the case now, but when I was in USACAPOC, airborne qualification was encouraged, but not required. My team sergeant when we deployed to Somalia was not airborne qualified and had no interest in doing so...
Similar: my detachment sergeant in the 5th Group MID was also non-Airborne qualified and couldn't go because of a back injury. Still wore the maroon beret and was still one of the best NCOs I ever worked with.

I know that I'm a nobody maroon beret and that within the community I'm not really welcome, but I just wanted to chime in.

The nature of warfare is changing. We can make fun of PysOps, but with the advent of modern technology they're about to play a huge role in the way modern warfare is waged. As the globalized world order is shattered influence will play a very large part in how we (as Americans), not just SOF, conducts operations in a fractured world.

Information and the mind space is about to become as important as logistics, nukes, ect. Our adversaries have been taking advantage of this gap in our operational mindset (think Chicom's and soft power). Yes we can kill targets... but if our forays in the ME and Vietnam have any bearing I think that having people who can bend the mind of a populace, to better align with our goals, will be just as useful as a couple battalion of hard chargers.

That said, I am mistrustful of psyops given their expanded mission parameters (presence in the US info-sphere), but they are about to play a huge role in how we operate in a fractured world. We can't discount them over a spat over berets.

I don’t think anybody here is “discounting” Psyops. There’s criticism over the OP’s call for organized disobedience over the unauthorized wearing of a certain color beret…which to me seems rather childish.

Regarding your first para, it’s just that many of us don’t embrace the numerous conspiracies, the stolen election and some of the other theories you expound. You’re a smart guy, you’ve made good contributions here, and you’re not unwelcome; but your posts are controversial and will naturally get some disagreement. Because we’re all military here, some of that disagreement will be characteristically hard-ass.
I dunno. I think there is a level of disrespect that goes back to the 4th POG thread, much of it through misunderstanding. If they wanna have their beret that's on them. The military has been celebrating childish stuff for a while. That said, given the nature of the nature of pysops, I wonder if this is them testing the waters to see how the community at large will react to small changes in unit identity.

I'm cool with disagreement. I grew up in an infantry battalion, thick skin is a requirement. Not cool with duplicity and shenanigans that bleed over into ones private life.

Back