Guess SCAR is a done deal.

I swear if I see one more support guy with a 10.5" barrel I will lose a rocker to choke the shit out of the guys who decided support guys need the new shit over the teams...

LOL! Hey bro that shit doesn't just happen to you guys, we had our support guys running around with brand new EO techs, Surefires and 15s. While we are running around ragged.

What always got me going was seeing some staff Officer or NCO better equipped than my own guys. Seriously, is the paper battle in the TOC that intense.

Back on target: Definitely time for the Military to start giving our guys the best rather than the lower bidders.

I would have taken a 7" barrel when I was in the Colombian jungle... :)

Crip

Were you in secondary Jungle?

I never had an issue with barrel lengths in the bush, though every area has it's own thickness etc... I have heard Jungles in South/Central America aren't particulary nice.

First impressions.

Lighter than my M14. More compact. Quicker handling.

Very accurate. From the prone, even with the CQC barrel, I was stacking rounds on top of each other. But during the moving drills, recoil added to my split times.

Mechanically, it is similar enough to the M4 that I didn't see anybody have any problems just picking the rifle up and making it run. One big difference was the placement of the cocking handle. I haven't done any failure drills with it but it is going to take some minor re-programming. Good thing is, given the placement of the cocking handle and the bolt lock, you can lock the bolt back with one hand, without releasing the firing grip.

One big down-side (for me anyway), during zeroing and any time I fired from the prone, the sunnovabitch punched me in the mouth with almost every shot. In the prone, if you have anything approaching a decent stock-weld, the bulge on the left side of the stock, that protects the stock latch, smacks you in the right side of the mouth. This can get to be distracting. I didn't notice this in standing or moving drills but the body mechanics are a bit different then.

The jury is still out, as far as I am concerned. I need at least a couple thousand rounds through it before I'm willing to bet the farm on it.

And, the "Boomstick" never punched me in the mouth.

I think I remember your boomstick comments.... are you a fan of aftermarket stocks for the boomstick? like the Vltor modstock? or are you more of a "gimme the wood any day" kinda guy?

I use the regular, plain old issue, brown plastic stock tricked out with an after-market adjustable stock comb, a rail top cover, a couple sections of rail (bottom and sides) and a low scope mount. Cheap, simple, light, strong, maintainable, adaptable, supportable.

Some things that stuck out for me sitting in on the the armorer class last Thursday.

Mechanically, it's as if they decided to take everything that was difficult about the M4, requiring complex and/or difficult procedures and requiring tools (sometimes very specific specialized tools) and make it simple on the SCAR. Like barrel changes. They're now a snap.

Sounds good huh? Wait for the other shoe to drop.

They then took everything that was simple about the M4, like detailed dis-assembly of the trigger assembly in the lower receiver or replacement of the extractor, and made them difficult, requiring tools, fixtures and, sometimes, a vise.

What does it all mean? Simple. Hell will freeze solid before Joe Regular Army ever gets his hands on one of these. It is a "system" and therefore too complex for Joe. Hell, the fuquin' thing is about two shades too complex for MY taste.

HK or LWRC piston upper receivers would have been faster, easier and cheaper. If I switch out a barrel on the SCAR, I still have to re-zero my optics. If I switch uppers on an M4 to change barrel lengths, my optics stay mounted for that barrel. Two pins and I'm in business.

The SCAR, as it is right now, is dumb. And, it's starting to look like we might be stuck with it. If they're still looking to replace the M4, Big Army should keep looking elsewhere.

and there you have it...... glad to get some input back. I think switching to HK416 uppers would be the best option - cost effective, and still easy for Joseph to adapt to. all the functions and basic troubleshooting, as well as operator level maintenance and use remains nearly the same, and did I mention it's cheaper?

Basically, I think it'd be easier to teach him the differences between gas piston and gas tube operation, than to teach him how to change a barrel on a weapon, that, let's face it - he probably won't have an extra barrel for. As a Joe, I really hope Big Army goes to the HK416. but, that's just my 2 cents. thanks for the input and the thoughts, P.

I would have to play with one to give an honest opinion. I personally prefer the AR system, but just like anything else “there is always room for another tool in the tool box”.

I don’t like the folding stock idea and the cheek to stock weld looks like it would be difficult for me.

Good AAR P!

All the money spent on this rifle's R&D and production yet we still cannot get a pistol worth a damn...

Caliber or platform ??

If the Beretta is maintained, as it should be, it's a darn good pistol. Alway's has been, alway's will be.

Just my :2c:

Back