Immigration

"Had to go back" as in life, limb, or eyesight? Don't know the situation but I really doubt it. We all make choices.

So she could have completed the immigration process legally. If someone wants to live here AND reap the benefits of being a citizen (work, security, prospects for better life, education, etc.) then "you gotta pay to play". How many illegals (not talking about work permits or visas...they are here LEGALLY) serve their duty on a jury? in the military? or any other public service?

Similar to the recent illegal who passed the bar in California and was permitted to practice. Clearly he is a smart guy so why not go back to Mexico and practice law there? Because QOL here is better.

I take what I see on TV with a grain...hell a shaker full salt, all I know was that when she was interviewed by the BP agent that's what she said. The situation just got me thinking. I have never gone through the Immigration process my self, the only thing that I have been close to dealing with is have a soldier talk to me about how frustrating it was to get his wife her permanent residency which is why his wife stayed in the states instead of going back to Honduras while we are on deployment. I agree with you whole heartedly Lindy.

Hey Pardus, I have read a couple of threads of yours that mentioned the process that you had to go through, could you please give a summary of what you had to go through?

If immigration hasn't been fixed by the time I run for presidency that will be part of my platform:thumbsup:.....don't worry I will make Shadowspear a "government consulting agency":-"8-) and you will all be handsomely rewarded:sneaky:....provided I don't get banned first. LOL

Those illegals need a SSN to work. That means stealing someones identity.
They then claim an ungodly number of dependents so no income taxes are taken.
The real SSN holder gets hit at tax time and has to prove he/she isn't the person with the second job. Social Security and the IRS know (pretty quickly) when the fraud hits, but do nothing.

I'd sell all the SSN's belonging to our Congressmen/women so they could experience the fun of a tax audit.

They don't always need a SSN, most of the people I know working in the fields up north were paid in cash.

The law is the law. It sucks for her, but if we make all of our immigration (and legal) decisions based on pity or sympathy, you maight as well open the gates.

Everyone has a sad story. Most of them are BS.

Please don't mistaken my empathy for sympathy. Yes we all understand the law is the law and have seen what happens when you make laws based on gut reactions i.e. after Sandy Hook.

Maryland too. :rolleyes:

With the new governor, I doubt Virginia is far behind.

You are the kind of person we want emigrating to America.

IIRC, California allows people to take the test in Spanish and a bunch of other languages. Doesn't make sense to me, as the road signs aren't in Spanish/Arabic/Chinese... :hmm:

In state college tuition too! Go figure!

After what I went through to become a legal citizen of the USA, I have very little sympathy for those that break the law to come here, and then demand rights that aren't theirs to have.
As @Marine0311 stated, The Federal and also to a lessor degree, state governments are responsible as well, for their failed immigration policies and policies regarding illegal immigrants.

It's a complicated issue for sure but there is a black and white component. Illegal immigration is a CRIME.

I can't agree with this enough. The wife and I more or less went through the express lane (K-1 visa with almost zero speedbumps, lost paperwork or anything) to her green card, and it was still was a long, expensive process. There are many (like @pardus) who have been through far more bureaucratic asspain that we have.

I have no sympathy for anyone who wants to skip the line because they think they're fucking special, especially when a) their first action in this country was to knowingly commit a felony, and b) that "special" status is ONLY derived from that felony.

There are some facets of immigration that can be reformed, and a temporary stay visa is one. But the glaring issue that needs to be addressed before any of that is the complete lack of enforcement of current laws, which right now might as well be a joke to everyone except those who are trying to do this the right way.

I think the problem is not necessarily the laws of immigration, bit more so citizen vs non-citizen resident. If only "citizens" could receive benefits, medicade, food, etc, it would really become a non-issue. Non-citizen resident should pay taxes, should contribute to all social programs, but exempt from use until citizenship is established.

If you take the "illegal" out of going and getting your passport stamped and just refuse to provide any services, charge them taxes and force them to play the suck game, they will wither become a citizen or go home and maybe visit from time to time

Illegal acts, such as ID theft, or the many other common crimes caused by many illegals and non-citizens, should be prosecuted, jailed and fined just like everyone else. The one stickler being they loose ability to become a citizen in the future for X many years, I think 5 yrs for a misdemeanor and 20 yrs for a felony (or permanent ban for a felony).

The real problem is proper control over the benefits and social programs.

My$.02

@JAB that would mean treating legal immigrants who are struggling to do the right thing, just the same as illegals. Pretty fucked up.

I think the problem is not necessarily the laws of immigration, bit more so citizen vs non-citizen resident. If only "citizens" could receive benefits, medicade, food, etc, it would really become a non-issue. Non-citizen resident should pay taxes, should contribute to all social programs, but exempt from use until citizenship is established.

If you take the "illegal" out of going and getting your passport stamped and just refuse to provide any services, charge them taxes and force them to play the suck game, they will wither become a citizen or go home and maybe visit from time to time

Illegal acts, such as ID theft, or the many other common crimes caused by many illegals and non-citizens, should be prosecuted, jailed and fined just like everyone else. The one stickler being they loose ability to become a citizen in the future for X many years, I think 5 yrs for a misdemeanor and 20 yrs for a felony (or permanent ban for a felony).

The real problem is proper control over the benefits and social programs.

My$.02

I don't know about other visa types, but I (the sponsor) had to sign an I-134 and an I-864. In short, if the sponsored individual (my wife) becomes a public charge, I can be held financially liable. For sponsored visa holders, enforcement of these documents should make the vast majority of what you've suggested moot.

The rest is (not trying to bring another hot topic in to the thread, but...) similar to gun control - the vast majority of what you're suggesting would only impact those who are keeping their noses clean. The illegal ones are going to continue to gain state sponsored benefits in spite of their illegal status, while those patiently waiting in line are going to abide by the sponsorship affidavits. As @pardus said, the only people you're hurting are the ones already doing the right thing.

Last edited:
@JAB that would mean treating legal immigrants who are struggling to do the right thing, just the same as illegals. Pretty fucked up.

Sort of, I think citizenship should mean something. As in a clear defined line in what equates "benefit" of citizenship and non-citizens.

Some of the big complaints on immigration (legal and illegal) is the use of social benefit programs, the others are jobs and of course taxes.

I think if you simplify it and say no non-citizen can receive any governmental or social program benefit, and than simplified the legal process for coming here and being legal, coupled with the idea of the benefit of coming here only starts when you do become a citizen, would change things for the better.

Personally, I think on the other end, people who serve in the military, spouses of citizens and individuals who possess education or knowledge that will help further our nation, should get a speedway through becoming citizens. In other words if you are married in, or providing a service for the betterment, it should be as painless and short as possible.

The others who are coming here to escape their own country and simply better themselves, need to prove over time their worth.

I somewhat feel the same with all the left-wing people moving into Texas who are taking jobs, but yet voting in left-wing political bullshit. It just shouldn't be that easy...

My $.02

@JAB That's actually a fairly easily controlled thing usually by way of what visas we grant to whom, and the already-established application requirements (which can be modified as needed). The number of work and study visas can be changed with relative ease (when compared to the legislative nightmare that is immigration reform).

Quick question (asked mostly because I don't know): how many LEGAL immigrants are using social benefits, and to what dollar amount? And how does it stack up per capita vs. citizens?

The reason I ask is that the requirements to obtain most visas are strict and many include proof of income and assets to support oneself (or in many cases, be supported by a sponsor) after immigration. That leaves me curious as to who is legally entering (and on what visa) and immediately turning around to apply for benefits.

FWIW, if you insist on setting bar for it, LPR (lawful permanent resident, see also: green card) status is IMO a more appropriate level. Those who have gone that far in the process are - for the most part - simply waiting to apply for citizenship, or have applied and are awaiting a response. They've been in line for months - if not years - and spent thousands of dollars and hours to get there. They have the vast majority of the same rights as citizens (exceptions being voting, jury service, and certain public offices). JM2C.

Step one is disincentivizing illegal immigration in the first place... I think we see eye to eye on that one, and I think it would solve over 90% of the problems associated with immigration in general. Once that's done, we can start talking about how to streamline temporary work visas, visas for those two come here to contribute, etc. Unfortunately, that's also the hardest step when legislators and a significant number of business owners (and by extension, American consumers) are enjoying the fruits of illegal labor...

Sort of, I think citizenship should mean something. As in a clear defined line in what equates "benefit" of citizenship and non-citizens.

You don't seem to take into account that immigrants have given up their lives and family to come here and become citizens. It's a huge deal and all immigrants think it's extremely meaningful. More so than a significant % of the US born citizens.

Some of the big complaints on immigration (legal and illegal) is the use of social benefit programs, the others are jobs and of course taxes.

That is a nonsense, legal immigrants pay taxes from day one, contribute to the economy, work jobs citizens won't for shit wages often times, and use of benefit programs? I'm calling BS on that.

I think if you simplify it and say no non-citizen can receive any governmental or social program benefit, and than simplified the legal process for coming here and being legal, coupled with the idea of the benefit of coming here only starts when you do become a citizen, would change things for the better.

How would that be better? What you are doing is shitting on people for coming here legally.

Personally, I think on the other end, people who serve in the military, spouses of citizens and individuals who possess education or knowledge that will help further our nation, should get a speedway through becoming citizens. In other words if you are married in, or providing a service for the betterment, it should be as painless and short as possible.

Can't argue with that, although one cannot join the military unless you have a green card which is the hardest part of the process.

The others who are coming here to escape their own country and simply better themselves, need to prove over time their worth.

Why?

I somewhat feel the same with all the left-wing people moving into Texas who are taking jobs, but yet voting in left-wing political bullshit. It just shouldn't be that easy...

My $.02

I can think of one benefit program that is used by illegal aliens, particularly in the Republic of Texas. I'm referring to exploiting EMTALA and other unfunded federal healthcare mandates.

I can think of one benefit program that is used by illegal aliens, particularly in the Republic of Texas. I'm referring to exploiting EMTALA and other unfunded federal healthcare mandates.

I and JAB are talking about LEGAL immigrants. Big difference.

@pardus

I guess you and I see it differently. If I decide to go to Mexico for a medical treatment or say cheaper cost of living, I am expected to pay out of pocket for those things. Here in the US, you can receive emergency medical care, food entitlement programs and educational benefits, regardless if you are legal or illegal (which IMHO shouldn’t matter) and I think that should not be the case. I think someone should have to pay for those benefits and not be able to run up a bill and not pay and or leave the country.

Now if someone is legally here, who is working, paying taxes, and being a productive member of whichever community they are living in, they should IMHO become a citizen before being allowed to utilize those benefits. That doesn’t mean I don’t think they should be able to go to schools, or get medical care, etc. It means they should pay out of pocket for it, the same way I would have to if I was in Mexico. Medical insurance and student loans can be made available for legal residents, but again it needs to be made so in a way where people who are here, who are not citizens, do not take advantage of programs that are intended to benefit the general citizenship, without paying/repaying those costs.

I don’t think I am shitting on anyone by stating that someone who is not a citizen of the USA does not deserve the same benefits of someone who is a citizen. I don’t really care what they gave up to come here; I don’t care how awesome they may be in whatever area of social measurement. The fact is that the US gov has a duty bound obligation to take care of it citizenry and has no obligation to non-citizens

@JAB That's actually a fairly easily controlled thing usually by way of what visas we grant to whom, and the already-established application requirements (which can be modified as needed). The number of work and study visas can be changed with relative ease (when compared to the legislative nightmare that is immigration reform).

Quick question (asked mostly because I don't know): how many LEGAL immigrants are using social benefits, and to what dollar amount? And how does it stack up per capita vs. citizens?

I honestly do not know the stats, it just the argument I always see/hear about the subject. I know (personally) a few Mexican migrant workers who purposely have family members who come here, who do not work, but have medical problems that are treated here. To what cost and amount of times this happens, I have no idea. My overall point, is that it should become a very non-issue by simply saying “I need your insurance card or X amount of money before you receive treatment (obviously there will always be some exceptions, car crash, accidents, etc).

The reason I ask is that the requirements to obtain most visas are strict and many include proof of income and assets to support oneself (or in many cases, be supported by a sponsor) after immigration. That leaves me curious as to who is legally entering (and on what visa) and immediately turning around to apply for benefits.

My knowledge is more around the migrant workers, who are legal.

FWIW, if you insist on setting bar for it, LPR (lawful permanent resident, see also: green card) status is IMO a more appropriate level. Those who have gone that far in the process are - for the most part - simply waiting to apply for citizenship, or have applied and are awaiting a response. They've been in line for months - if not years - and spent thousands of dollars and hours to get there. They have the vast majority of the same rights as citizens (exceptions being voting, jury service, and certain public offices). JM2C.

That’s another issue that I have problems with, the length and cost of doing it the right way, etc. I really think it should be governed under the idea of “you are a benefit to us or you are not” if you are, get the process over with, if you are not, why should we even offer a citizenship, go to the port of entry every X many days and don’t expect any rights/benefits. And again, I am not saying every single person should have something to offer, I think spouses, people who serve in the armed forces, or possess specialties should be a non issue, just get it done kind of thing. The complication parts of it are just annoying to me and I don’t have to go through it.

Step one is disincentivizing illegal immigration in the first place... I think we see eye to eye on that one, and I think it would solve over 90% of the problems associated with immigration in general. Once that's done, we can start talking about how to streamline temporary work visas, visas for those two come here to contribute, etc. Unfortunately, that's also the hardest step when legislators and a significant number of business owners (and by extension, American consumers) are enjoying the fruits of illegal labor...

The big issue is they need to stop making such a big stink about “illegal” and allow people to simply get a damn stamp at the border. If they are not wanted, not on some sort of black list, let them through to do their business. If they happen to be a little bit late on getting their next X number of days stamp, charge them a simple fine and give them the stupid stamp. It’s really not that hard; most countries do this shit all day every day.
Growing up in South Texas, going to Mexico when I felt like it, and having many friends who were living/working back and forth between USA/MEX, I think the whole thing has turned into a bag of shit. Nobody gave a shit about a passport/visa back then, show your ID card and pay your crossing tax, pay your tax on goods and pay your way, etc. It was very damn simple 15 years ago, and the issue of “illegals” was hardly talked about outside of when people got busted doing the wrong thing.
Now I have to have a passport to go to Mexico, now I have to be searched going in, coming out, now I have to make sure someone has a visa to be here to work, its all really stupid.
Cut the incentives and free shit out, and go back to simple.

Back