Jesse and his BS lawsuit...(#this_ain't_over)

It's not a precedent; this happens not infrequently. Same/same for running the numbers to see if it's cheaper to settle than fight (even if you know you'll win in the end).

Yep...I know unfortunately. I used poor wording. What I meant to say was that it "reinforces" horrible precedent every time they go that route.

It's truly aggravating.

At this point, one thing and one thing only would restore a smidgen of credibility here.

Here's his chance.

Hey Jesse Ventura? If this really was about your image and not about the money, let's see if you turn around and return all proceeds (Or refuse them to begin with) to Mrs. Kyle now that everything is said and done.

My bet is it will never happen. But, I've been wrong before. We'll see.

At this point, one thing and one thing only would restore a smidgen of credibility here.

Here's his chance.

Hey Jesse Ventura? If this really was about your image and not about the money, let's see if you turn around and return all proceeds (Or refuse them to begin with) to Mrs. Kyle now that everything is said and done.

My bet is it will never happen. But, I've been wrong before. We'll see.

You're are right on target of course.

I will regrettably admit that I voted for Jesse for Governor. I thought he had some good ideas and the ability to change things up. Unfortunately, he decided to try an cash in getting elected Governor and doing wrestling broadcast etc. where he got paid and never understood how he diminished the office. Because it was always only about Jesse and never about Minnesota. He got in a tussle with the press over his extra circular activities and his ego out weighed any rationality on the subject.

I see the current situation in much the same light.

If a bus took him out crossing the Nicollet Mall tomorrow, the world would be a better place.

I'd be one of the first to donate. It's probably a good idea that I wouldn't be the one naming the campaign.

jv is the kind of vermin that I wouldn't even stop to hose off of my tires after I hit him. I can't say that I can't believe he won the suit, because it's so damned easy for someone to haz a hurt feel. I think I've seen single-ply toilet tissue thicker than his skin. Chris Kyle did nothing for jv's reputation, because jv was already known as a conspiracy theorist, truther kook after he left the governor's office.

I'd hose off my tires, because I don't want the chance of contamination getting into my garage.

Well JV gave his first interview, crying that he can't go to reunions anymore.
Started off by mocking the current generation of SEALs.
He will fade away.

Well JV gave his first interview, crying that he can't go to reunions anymore.
Started off by mocking the current generation of SEALs.
He will fade away.

You would think he would attempt to do some type of damage control and make things right...nope.

http://www.startribune.com/local/269157831.html

Here are excerpts of the Star Tribune interview with Jesse Ventura on Tuesday night after the verdict in his favor.

In explaining why he believed some SEAL veterans described events that occurred at the California bar that the jury decided never happened, Ventura said: “The SEALs who testified for [Chris] Kyle lived by the SEAL creed. It says, ‘Deny, admit nothing, decry everything and make counteraccusations,’ and that’s what they did when they went up on the stand.”

Asked his reaction to SEALs who said they once considered him an idol and now have a bad opinion of him, Ventura offered one word: “Heartbreaking.” Asked to elaborate, he said, “I have a hole in my heart that can never be replaced. There’s not enough money to make that right.”

Asked how so many of the witnesses against him could claim he was punched in a bar and made anti-SEAL remarks, Ventura said, “In the Navy there are things called stories. That’s when one sailor tells a lie to another one, and that one repeats it three times and it becomes a reality and the truth gets lost.”

He said the story evolved because “they were heavily intoxicated. They made so much of it being a wake [at the California bar where the alleged incident occurred]. The wake had already occurred,” Ventura said “This is what they call a SEAL wake where they go to a bar and drink and drink a lot …”

You would think he would attempt to do some type of damage control and make things right...nope.

http://www.startribune.com/local/269157831.html

Here are excerpts of the Star Tribune interview with Jesse Ventura on Tuesday night after the verdict in his favor.

In explaining why he believed some SEAL veterans described events that occurred at the California bar that the jury decided never happened, Ventura said: “The SEALs who testified for [Chris] Kyle lived by the SEAL creed. It says, ‘Deny, admit nothing, decry everything and make counteraccusations,’ and that’s what they did when they went up on the stand.”

Asked his reaction to SEALs who said they once considered him an idol and now have a bad opinion of him, Ventura offered one word: “Heartbreaking.” Asked to elaborate, he said, “I have a hole in my heart that can never be replaced. There’s not enough money to make that right.”

Asked how so many of the witnesses against him could claim he was punched in a bar and made anti-SEAL remarks, Ventura said, “In the Navy there are things called stories. That’s when one sailor tells a lie to another one, and that one repeats it three times and it becomes a reality and the truth gets lost.”

He said the story evolved because “they were heavily intoxicated. They made so much of it being a wake [at the California bar where the alleged incident occurred]. The wake had already occurred,” Ventura said “This is what they call a SEAL wake where they go to a bar and drink and drink a lot …”
He's like my MIL, says dumb, mean things; then can't understand why everyone around is pissed off or offended.
I wonder if he (JV) was drunk or high?

JURY - behind the scenes.

Jury was close to giving up Tuesday morning, when judge posed a split decision.

http://www.startribune.com/local/269247381.html

A furious exchange of memos took place between the jury and U.S. District Judge Richard Kyle Tuesday in the last day of deliberations in the Jesse Ventura defamation case that ended with an $1.8 million jury award to the former governor.

The exchange, made public in court documents, shows the behind-the-scenes maneuvers in which Judge Kyle, with support from the attorneys for both sides worked hard to resolve the deadlock that appeared to be steering the case to a mistrial.

It indicates the jury was close to giving up on Tuesday morning, when Kyle asked them if they could reach a 9 to 1 verdict. When that failed, he asked if they could make a decision by an 8 to 2 split, not knowing which side had the majority vote.

Jurors ultimately were allowed to vote 8 to 2 in favor of Ventura; the verdict was announced to a stunned courtroom, since Ventura was considered to be the underdog going into the trial.

Both sides were rolling the dice, but there was an apparent decision by both parties that neither was interested in a hung jury. It could have resulted in a second trial, costing large amounts of money to both sides with no guarantee of a unanimous verdict.

The process that led to the verdict began on Monday morning when the jury sent a note to Judge Kyle, saying it was deadlocked and unable to reach a unanimous decision. Kyle met with attorneys to discuss the options. He then convened the court and in a public session told the jury to try once more to come to a consensus.

At 4 p.m., Monday, the jurors sent Kyle a short note that read, “We the jury have continued to deliberate as instructed. At this time, we have not reached a unanimous decision.”

Within minutes the jurors left the courthouse.

The jury resumed deliberations at 9 a.m. on Tuesday and quickly concluded that they were unable to end the standoff inside the jury room.

They sent a hand printed note to Judge Kyle, at 9:45 a.m. stating, “We, the jury, have not come to a unanimous decision. We do not believe that a unanimous decision can be reached.”

Shortly before 10 a.m., attorneys for both sides were summoned into Judge Kyle’s chambers, presumably to discuss the contents and what they should do. It is now known, based on public statements by the attorneys after the verdict, that Kyle asked them if they would accept a less than unanimous verdict.

The attorneys left Kyle’s chambers to consult among themselves and presumably to consult with their clients. For attorney David Olsen’s team, it would be Ventura. For John Borger’s team, it was presumably Taya Kyle, who oversees the estate of Chris Kyle, the author of “American Sniper,” who Ventura alleged had defamed him. Legal observers have indicated that Borger would have consulted either HarperCollins, the publisher of Chris Kyle’s book, or the insurance company that covered defamation claims against the book. The attorneys returned to the judge’s chambers with their responses.

At 11:05 a.m., Judge Kyle sent the jurors a typed memo stating, “The parties have agreed that if you cannot reach a unanimous verdict, then nine of you may return a divided verdict.”

Soon thereafter, it got a note back that showed where things stood.

“We, the jury, would not be able to deliver a divided verdict with the opinion of nine jurors,” the note to Judge Kyle read. It was signed by the foreperson, whose name has been redacted, setting the time as 11:12 a.m.

Judge Kyle met with the attorneys from both sides again, and got agreement to try to get a verdict with eight jurors.

At 11:40 a.m. he wrote them another memo that read, “The parties have agreed that if you cannot reach a unanimous verdict, then eight of you may return a divided verdict.

“If you return a divided verdict, each of the eight jurors must sign and date the verdict form.”

Shortly after 12 p.m., a court staffer wheeled a cart carrying lunches into the backrooms of the seventh-floor courthouse, clearly for the jurors who had decided to have one last meal.

At 1 p.m., a juror, presumably the foreperson, although the name was redacted, sent one last hand-printed note.

It said, “Dear Judge Kyle, we the jury have reached a divided verdict. P.S. We need an envelope for the verdict.”

Within minutes, the attorneys were notified by Kyle or his staff, and as they headed for the courtroom, they acknowledged to the dozen or so reporters staking out the seventh-floor lobby, that there was a verdict.

Court was convened and Judge Kyle read the verdict form:

“Did Plaintiff Jesse Ventura prove his claim of defamation against Chris Kyle?

The jurors checked “Yes.”

“What amount of money, if any, will fairly and adequately compensate Plaintiff Jesse Ventura for damages directly caused by the defamation?”

The jurors filled in the amount: :”$500,000.”

“Did Plaintiff Jesse Ventura prove his claim of appropriation against Chris Kyle?”

The jurors checked, “No.”

“Did Plaintiff Jesse Ventura prove his claim of unjust enrichment against Chris Kyle and the Defendant Estate?”

The jurors checked “Yes.”

“By what amount of money, if any, has the Defendant Estate been unjustly enriched?”

The jurors wrote in “$1,345,477.25.”

The date and names of each of the jurors is on the form. Their signatures were redacted.

Anyone know how they came up with the odd ball amount of $1,345,477.25? Were they just writing numbers down to be able to leave or is there meaning behind it (honestly curious btw)?

I'm glad, thrilled actually, that two of the jurors possess a spine. They stuck to their beliefs and didn't roll over. In this day and age that's huge.

I'm baffled the other 8 voted for Turdy McDouche. Again, you strip away the emotional aspects of this case (how many on either side did this?), boil the carcass down to bones, and I don't grasp how you can claim defamation. "Unjust enrichment?" Are you freaking kidding me? Bad enough the defamation angle, but unjust enrichment? As SOWT pointed out above, one chapter cost THAT much? Let's be honest, Chris Kyle was always billed as "The Guy Who KTFO's Jesse Ventura." It wasn't like he was known for being a SEAL or a sniper with a few confirmed kills or anything. Yep, his book sales are in direct proportion to the number of stories told about JV....

8-2 the other way, I can understand that. 8-2 in favor of that clown?

The only bright spot is that two people resisted peer pressure and stood their ground. Wait, I'm from FL...I think I just made a racist statement. Apologies. "Exhibited emotional fortitude and remained true to their convictions." Better?

'Merica

I, too, applaud the two jurors who exercised their moral convictions correctly. When I bought the book, I don't recall thinking to myself, if I even knew about it at the time, "Oooo. I need to buy this book so I can see Chris Kyle's account of what exactly happened in the bar that night." I bought it because of the person Chris Kyle was, not whom he supposedly knocked out. Doofs in Minnesota. @Ooh-Rah1069 and others from the state of Minnesota, no offense directed at you.

Back