Missing/Captured: Bowe Bergdahl

My guess is they work a plea deal.
He agrees to an AWOL Charge with minimum punishment, and leaves the Army a stripe or two short.
Then fades into obscurity (for his own sake).

More likely that he will fade into book and movies deals along with the adulation of the liberal and brainless Military supporter crowd.

He'll be a big star on campus, especially with the commie professors. I bet he'll get a big chunk of backpay too.

He agrees to an AWOL Charge with minimum punishment, and leaves the Army a stripe or two short.

Which puts him right back where he should have been in the first place unless they also take away his E-5 due to the AWOL. In which case he leaves as an E-1 or E-2 which is preferable to me (in the case of a plea deal). I really think he should get a BCD, no back pay and reduction to E-1. No POW honors as well.

Which is why the plea bargain will include the loss of rank, since his rank will mean nothing to him.

LL
But it helps quell the chorus, and can cost him a chunk of change.
He was a PFC(?) when he went AWOL?
Bump it down to PV2, and restart the process.
PFC 6 months after detention, SPC two years (?) later. Sgt two years after that. One year later recovery.
vs
SPC one year after capture.Sgt two years later, one year later recovery.

Which puts him right back where he should have been in the first place unless they also take away his E-5 due to the AWOL. In which case he leaves as an E-1 or E-2 which is preferable to me (in the case of a plea deal). I really think he should get a BCD, no back pay and reduction to E-1. No POW honors as well.
I agree, but the system will treat AWOL differently then desertion.

I agree, but the system will treat AWOL differently then desertion.
The political climate will not allow a true desertion punsihment. Plea to AWOL, can't be promoted while AWOL which nullifies E-5 and puts him back at E-3. Can't get pay while AWOL so no back pay. Court martial with reduction in rank to E-1 and BCD rounds it out.

The political climate will not allow a true desertion punsihment. Plea to AWOL, can't be promoted while AWOL which nullifies E-5 and puts him back at E-3. Can't get pay while AWOL so no back pay. Court martial with reduction in rank to E-1 and BCD rounds it out.
Your right, I forgot about that.

I can live with that. PFC Deserter leaves and heads to college.

While I doubt this will come to anything, I thought it was an interesting turn that will add some fuel to the fire. The justification about funding though...that just sounds ridiculous.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/justice/bergdahl-prisoner-exchange/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- The Pentagon broke federal law by exchanging five Taliban detainees for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl without giving Congress the appropriate notice, Congress' independent investigative arm announced Thursday.
Susan Poling, general counsel for the U.S. Government Accountability Office, wrote in a letter to nine Republican senators that the Pentagon should have notified "the relevant congressional committees at least 30 days in advance of the transfer."
Moreover, Poling noted that the GAO also concluded the Defense Department broke the law by using "appropriated funds to carry out the transfer when no money was available for that purpose."

Back