Moderator Elections "Platform" Thread

Roger, brother ;)

-----
I’ve been a member of the site since 2006 and on the staff for much of that time. I’m committed to the site’s mission, and to its rules. In fact, several years ago I helped craft the current rules. I believe in equal enforcement and holding people accountable, as they are important for both the credibility and long-term success of the site. Rules are not just for “people we don’t like.”

Despite my years as a mod, I still remember what it’s like to NOT be a member of a site staff. This is why it’s always been my habit to avoid doing things like editing other people’s content or changing their avatars for my own amusement, deleting posts simply because I don’t like them, and/or pursuing personal agendas through the site, things you may have seen happening on other sites.

I also remember what it’s like to not be SOF, and I try to keep than in mind when I moderate here. Although I did tours in 5th Group, the 160th, and JSOC, I have spent more of my career out of SOF than in it. I do not think my time in those units—in a support capacity—makes me “special.” The mission was what was special, and now I’m not even doing that anymore. However, I do think that those experiences in SOF, and my seven deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan with those units, are additive to my performance as a mod on a SOF-themed site.

My default setting is to be patient and toleratant of the views of others, particularly new members, as long as they are respectful of our rules and norms. That said, I’m not afraid to be the “bad guy” when enforcement is necessary, involving noobs or long-term members, because otherwise there would be anarchy… something else you may have seen on other sites.

In accordance with our rules and with my own personal philosophy, I believe that no member has to be SOF (or even in the military) to be a valued and productive member of the community. I stick up for people when they deserve it, whether I like them or not, and I hold people accountable when they deserve it, again whether I like them or not. If you’ve been on the site for a while, you’ve probably seen examples of each. Follow the rules, and you’ll never have a problem with me. It’s not hard. I’m usually on the site daily, and often on several times a day. I regularly advise and mentor site members via PM, email, or phone calls.

The bottom line is, I believe in the site, I’m here to help, and that’s why I’m once again running for mod.
Mara goes with a little humblebrag pitch, solid! 👍😁

I’m a little concerned about having two Mods from Canada (@RackMaster and @Ooh-Rah ).

How can We, as the rank & file board members, be assured that you all understand the subtle cultural differences between Americans and Canadiens, especially with regard to humor?

edit to add: “eh”?
I get that you Southern folk think anyplace cold in North America must be Canada, but, um, well...

LL

I get that you Southern folk think anyplace cold in North America must be Canada, but, um, well...

LL
LL brings up a good point. For as well travelled as @lindy is, the fundamental lack of geography here is problematic and, as we see from @Gunz post, that kind of thinking can pollute the water. He should understand that while we love our neighbors to the North, we will never let the Northern border collapse; we're not weak like the Night's Watch. We need to keep an eye on this one...

LL brings up a good point. For as well travelled as @lindy is, the fundamental lack of geography here is problematic and, as we see from @Gunz post, that kind of thinking can pollute the water. He should understand that while we love our neighbors to the North, we will never let the Northern border collapse; we're not weak like the Night's Watch. We need to keep an eye on this one...

I just snuck over for an assortment of sugary and fat treats. Was there and back, no one the wiser. Some Watch keepers you are.

Hey der, isn’t @Ooh-Rah in Saskatchewan, don’cha know?

Back