National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

So honest question; is BLM a loose movement of groups with somewhat similar goals or an organized operation?(POST#948)

Is this a rhetorical question - or an HONEST question? 50 pages in and you ask this question? 3yrs of BLM, burning, rioting, protesting, Ferguson, well proven coordination, donations, websites, foundations, etc, etc... Where have you been?

15yrs SF may have made me too cynical but I'm one of those that doesn't believe that NO question is a DUMB question. This one ranks right on up there as unbelievably naive.

I am of the same general mindset here of understanding that the fringe does not represent the majority.

And WHAT IS IT that you do as SOF SUPPORT?

What is a fringe person?
The definition of fringe is someone or something at the edge. An example of fringe is someone who doesn't fit in with the mainstream culture but who is unconventional like punk rock or grunge. An example of fringe is the edge of the television reception area

YOU DECIDE:
BLM.JPG

One of my Antifa friends posted this shortly after Floyd's death on social media. Seems useful to the discussion, so here it is.

1592615806611.png

"Evidently Hampton Roads has either forgotten, or never paid enough attention to organizers to learn in the first place, that #BlackLivesMatter757/BLM757 is run by a transphobic and misogynistic scammer who has worked with white supremacists (his logo used to feature the 3%ers symbol as well), had a Black woman arrested for calling him out, and threatened the lives and livelihoods of Black women. He has spent 3 years lying about his involvement in anti-fascist and anti-racist organizing and will pocket any money you give him. I have personally been burned by his lies and he threatened me too, but that's not the important thing here. I want you all to stay in the streets and keep fighting, but do NOT get taken in by this guy again! Don't give him any more credibility, headlines, or press (looking at you, Three Ships Coffee). He's dangerous and will escalate actions or switch sides to stand with the cops at will, whatever gets him more headlines. There are plenty of other organizers still in Hampton Roads and all over VA who will back me up on this."
- Casey Copeland

Is this a rhetorical question - or an HONEST question? 50 pages in and you ask this question? 3yrs of BLM, burning, rioting, protesting, Ferguson, well proven coordination, donations, websites, foundations, etc, etc... Where have you been?
@Rabid Badger - not everyone dissects these pages post by post. @Cookie_ is a participating and vetted member of this board and he asked a question trying to get a better understanding of...all this.

And WHAT IS IT that you do as SOF SUPPORT?
And speaking of Vetted Members. @Rabid Badger , with all respect to your Green Tab, you sir are completely out of line in questioning what a VETTED SOF Support Member does or did to rate that membership category. You can be assured that the staff was confident enough in his credentials to assign him that Brown Tab.

You are completely out of line; what you just did is fucking bullshit.

I am escalating this to the Admins for further review, but I do have the ability to suspend your posting rights for a few days, so consider that done.

Unbelievable.

Everybody just chill the fuck out for a few days on this topic.

So honest question; is BLM a loose movement of groups with somewhat similar goals or an organized operation?

Because I mentioned a few days ago about the boog boi killing cops and basically had multiple members attempt to argue "they aren't a real movement", even though people associated with that camp keep getting arrested for terrorism plots/murder.

By the same token, we'll see basically ever act of violence in this thread attributed to BLM/ANTIFA, even if there isn't a good link.

15yrs SF may have made me too cynical but I'm one of those that doesn't believe that NO question is a DUMB question. This one ranks right on up there as unbelievably naive.
I think a lot of the hyperbole in this piece of dialogue is unnecessary, because you both seem to be operating off one specific understanding of BLM while entertaining a false dilemma.

BLM is a organized movement that officially advocates for nonviolent civil disobedience in response to incidents of police brutality against black people in America. Additionally, its founders expressly and repeatedly advocate for nonviolent civil disobedience. It is important to start with this basic and unconflated description of BLM's self-definition and the strategy prescribed by its 'leaders' : nonviolent civil disobedience.

BLM also contains rhetoric in its description of the state and its behavior towards its black constituents that people (including some of its own members, not just agent provocateurs) have and continue to use as justification for violent retaliation. This should be acknowledged, but it is equally important not to unnecessarily conflate it with the movement as a whole or its advocacy of nonviolent action.

@Cookie_ 's question was not 'dumb' or 'naive', because BLM as an 'organized' movement operates on an extremely decentralized network, and it has no official hierarchy beyond the unifying message of its founders and whatever subgroups developed in their own communities. This means that any person or group of people can claim BLM membership, and deviations in what the founding leadership deemed to be appropriate responses to police brutality are bound to occur. The variance of some of these responses makes it extremely easy for a person to either extend the violent divergences from the nonviolence appeals of their national 'leaders' towards the entire movement (@Rabid Badger), or to question how unified its message is and whether it is, in fact, an organized movement with a united approach to resolving police brutality against black people (@Cookie_ ).

I find it helpful to assume the best intent in these discussions, particularly when it comes to questioning the sincerity of a person asking these questions (especially after they state so themselves, in @Ooh-Rah's case ), and even moreso within a community as mature and accomplished as this one. Let us continue to keep this forum (and 'Murca!) great by holding the standard.

Thank you for your post, but the staff has already addressed this. If you have an issue with someone's post, please use the Report feature in the lower left-hand corner of the offending post.
I don't hold any current issue - this is a resubmission of a message I wrote posted three minutes after @Ooh-Rah closed the thread.

You are more than welcome to delete that specific line if it is less relevant now due to the vitriol being sorted.

I don't get what reallocating the funds has to do with the legal ramifications that LE's required for parking enforcement. You'd need more funds for more officers to be able to enforce the laws as they stand now.
If the county were to stand up a department that handled parking enforcement, the work could be done by non-sworn employees who would be paid less but probably in the role longer because there would be a career path that led to managerial roles.

An upside for law enforcement is that officers would be able to do more of the work they want to do than the work they don't want to do.

The bowdlerized version of "defund the police" can very easily get in the way of a serious conversation about "what's the best way to spend public funds." There's a website Transparent California that allows one to look at how much public employees earn. And budget information for municipalities and counties are readily available, as are job descriptions.

Officers are not paid as much as they should and their job descriptions include tasks that may not be the best use of their time. If boxes were moved around on organizational charts and money were reallocated, you could get more bang for the buck without necessarily firing anyone or cutting anyone's pay. (You get rid of a couple of bad apple officers, fill their roles with officers who were previously doing parking.)

If the county were to stand up a department that handled parking enforcement, the work could be done by non-sworn employees who would be paid less but probably in the role longer because there would be a career path that led to managerial roles.

An upside for law enforcement is that officers would be able to do more of the work they want to do than the work they don't want to do.

The bowdlerized version of "defund the police" can very easily get in the way of a serious conversation about "what's the best way to spend public funds." There's a website Transparent California that allows one to look at how much public employees earn. And budget information for municipalities and counties are readily available, as are job descriptions.

Officers are not paid as much as they should and their job descriptions include tasks that may not be the best use of their time. If boxes were moved around on organizational charts and money were reallocated, you could get more bang for the buck without necessarily firing anyone or cutting anyone's pay. (You get rid of a couple of bad apple officers, fill their roles with officers who were previously doing parking.)

There are a lot of departments that specifically have parking enforcement roles. And many cities that have separate departments for that. LA as one example:

Parking Enforcement Home - LADOT

The relationship between civil disturbances and a lack of economic development years later is not always linear.
Sorry, I wholly disagree.

For your position to be correct, every decision to not invest in a project in areas of the greater L.A. region is driving by a single consideration every time.

FWIW, my point of view is based upon my work at a consultancy that does a lot of work in the L.A. area, it remains my position that the decision making process is complicated and, IME, the assessment of risk is not about the possibility of riots or natural disasters.

In much of urban California, police are very well compensated. My cousin ( SD county Sheriffs deputy) made well over 150k in total compensation, and over 105k just in base salary(no overtime or shift differential included) That is two years old, (as that is how Transparent California normally works.) Police in most of California are very well paid, especially considering there is very little educational requirement. Idk how much you think police should be paid, but that seems like it is enough.

I cannot even imagine trying to a cop under these circumstances.

Minneapolis officers responding to shootings met with 'hostile' crowds

Minneapolis police officers responding to separate shootings Friday night were met with angry crowds that impeded them from doing their job, a department spokesman said Saturday.

Around 11:25 p.m. in the 3800 block of Chicago Avenue — near the site where George Floyd was killed May 25 while in police custody — officers responded to a reported shooting. A man had shot himself and bystanders were administering CPR, according to police.

Officers tried to provide aid upon arrival but encountered “hostile” crowds that impeded them, police spokesman John Elder said. The man was taken to HCMC, where he died. Elder said it is not clear if the shooting was a suicide or an accident. Police are investigating.

Back